Is it a 383 or a 361?

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
Looking at a big block in the local U-Pull-it. It is in a '68 Dodge pickup. It appears to be of 1968 vintage. It is a 3/4 ton pickup. Now, would this be a 383 or a 361. I didnt have time to scratch away the crud on the block. Just thought Id ask cause I was assuming that it was a 383 then someone reminded me that they continued to use the 361 in trucks until the end. It is 2- barrel. all there with the 727. Anything stand out on the truck 361's for identification?

IMO, a vehicle that old you need to get the numbers off the engine. No telling who's done what with it.

If you look at the pad that is just below the distributor it will tell you what the engine is . There will be letters and numbers stamped on the block . The letters indicate the year , numbers indicate the day . Also the cubic inch is stamped there also . Example ; a 36 or a 361 would indicate a 361 , sometimes 61 is visible . The same for 383 , a 383, 38 , or 83 . Also look for a letter P for passanger , M or I stands for marine or industrial . Not sure about trucks, though . Hope this helps . The block casting number is on the side of the block but is usually hidden by the exhaust manifold . Hope this helps .

Should also be a letter before the c.i. displacement number, ie: D383 will be a '68 383. "A" is '65, "B" is '66, and so on.

GEDC0307_zpsbeb357c1.jpg

-
Back