Is it better to rebuild a 904 or buy a aftermarkt unit??

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my 70 dart swinger. Car has a 8.75 rear with 3:55 gears. I am sticking with the factory 318 that i estimate max 400hp when completed, probley more like 350hp with my first time port work. But anyways I had planned on having my stock 904 rebuilt. I rebuilt a 904 in high school years ago with help but dont feel confident doing one on my own. But now i have happened to stumble across the TCI sizzler(rated for 300hp)for $765 the TCI streetfighter(rated for 450hp) for arond $1100 and the Performance Automatic(rated for 400hp)for around $1100 but comes with a forever warranty.

I would still have to pay for shipping on all three transmisssions and also buy a torque converter. So the question is with these options out there would someone in my shoes be better off having a shop rebuild my stock trans or buy an aftermarket trans?

I have no clue what the average shop charges but it seems like the aftermarket transmission are pretty cheap. Then comes the problem of finding a trans shop that has a good reputation.

Any suggestions?? Just curious if anyone has used the TCI transmissions or the Performance Automatic transmission and the average price differance from paying a local shop.

Thanks for any input
Mark

stay away from Total Crap Incorporated...do a search on here...they are junk. rebuild you 904!

Have it Rebuilt... Mine was rebuilt for $625. Last month....Shift kit, bands the works. I fire her up on Saturday. I'll post if any issues. Good luck and aloha!

rebuild it! I got my 904 rebuilt had it built for my est 400hp 318/390 stroker, i had a locally owned shop with great reputation do it and if i remember right it was around $1200 incl the 3000 stall convertor

I just had mine original rebuilt for $975 but it was in bad shape. It looked like a lost cause when I took it in and now it looks new with a shift kit, bands, bolt in sprag;the works. They say it is good for 500 hp. I decided to just get mine rebuilt after reading and experiencing all kinds of trouble with TCI.

You can build it yourself I have not checked but you can usually find builds on youtube. Also I find it helpful to set up video while tearing engines, transmissions, rears or anything I am not familure with. but if you have done it before you can do it now and FBO members are always helpful.

I have a used one off a 69 340 dart with torque converter PM for price and details ran fine took it out . Cars a 69 Dart GT 456 Big Block sports a TCI 727 now..
vbpgimage.php

thanks guys, glad i posted this thread and very happy i didnt buy a rebuilt unit. Espically after seeing the sticky on the top of the page. Sounds like i just need to find someone local that knows mopar transmission's. thanks
Mark

-
Back