is it just me? why do people

-

wp23n

Reaction score
post am and or am/fm radios on this site and others and put

asking $$$ unknown if it works or not???

come on, it takes all of 5 minutes to test the darn things out,
in my opinion anything over $100 is too much of a gamble for
something that may or MAY NOT work.

I agree but-some people can't hook up a radio. It is not hard to hook up wrong and blow out the radio's output. Some people are leery/afraid of anything electrical. Most do not have a bench supply to run a radio off of. I would not recommend hooking to the battery unless you know what you are doing. But they should be able to find some one that can do it for them. They should find out if it works or not before they try selling it.

post am and or am/fm radios on this site and others and put

asking $$$ unknown if it works or not???

come on, it takes all of 5 minutes to test the darn things out,
in my opinion anything over $100 is too much of a gamble for
something that may or MAY NOT work.

I was just gonna huck mine because its broken. But if I can charge money unknown lets do this!:booty::evil1:

But in all seriousness, that is just dumb, it takes literally 5 minutes to test one.

If I had one to sell I would find somebody to test it. "Works great" fetches
big dollars. Mike

Interesting this would come up. I had a shot at two radios, both unknown workability. I would have had to buy the unit and send it in to my builder to get what I wanted for another wad-O-$$$. I made a deal to send in the working radio I already own and have the builder make it into what I want, saving a good bit of $$$. Personally, if i did not know if something worked, I would not offer it for sale but that's just me.:hello2:

I assume that if it doesn't say it is working than it probably isn't

And you can get more for a probably doesn't work radio than a doesn't work radio.

I would like to find a cheap non working one for my car (not going to use it just want it to look correct in the dash) 66 barracuda

I was going to post this same thread, but about used engines.

It's always:

"Ran great when pulled"

I agree but-some people can't hook up a radio. It is not hard to hook up wrong and blow out the radio's output. Some people are leery/afraid of anything electrical. Most do not have a bench supply to run a radio off of. I would not recommend hooking to the battery unless you know what you are doing. But they should be able to find some one that can do it for them. They should find out if it works or not before they try selling it.

I agree concerning used radios, and the comment about used engines as well. Not everyone can test a radio, or fire up an engine that is sitting in the corner of the garage.

I'm sorry i guess owning an old car i just assumed that most people know BASIC
electrical connections and those old radios have the very basic of electrical
connections.

I'm sorry i guess owning an old car i just assumed that most people know BASIC
electrical connections and those old radios have the very basic of electrical
connections.

Power in,dial light, speaker out and antenna. Problem is the old car radios are a direct coupled audio to the speaker and if you short it to ground or the plus 12 volts you fry it. Now you killed a radio that was working because you thought you knew what you were doing. If you do not know electronics find some one that does. Most people do not know electronics-in fact I find many that are scared of it.

Power in,dial light, speaker out and antenna. Problem is the old car radios are a direct coupled audio to the speaker and if you short it to ground or the plus 12 volts you fry it. Now you killed a radio that was working because you thought you knew what you were doing. If you do not know electronics find some one that does. Most people do not know electronics-in fact I find many that are scared of it.

exactly what im saying, Basic wiring. there is no reason to run 12 volts
to anywhere but the RED or Orange if you want to test the dial light, there is no reason to hook anything but a speaker up to the 1 speaker wire exiting the radio.
the antenna is a no brainer and then ground the chassis.
its not rocket science and if you think it is then get the damn thing tested before listing it for triple digits on a site unless of course you are selling somthing YOU KNOW doesnt work in the first place.

again, i guess its just me but i just assume that if you own an old car you know basic wiring especially with the systems from back then

I think there are people that want the orig radio for looks only. I bought mine "unknown" to fill the hole. Am I going to listen to AM radio squeal thru the $hitty speaker...nope. Newer cd/mp3 will be in a concealed spot....havent figured out where the speakers are gonna go yet as its a ragtop.

several of my old mopars had the stock radio just filling the hole. i had a 68 charger and a 69 charger R/T both with the thumb wheel dial radio. kinda hard to put anything else in that opening with out butchering it up. of course this was back in the 80s. now with Ipods and other storage devices it makes it much easier to hide your tunes in a car.

i was looking for the stock 67 shaft type radio for my 67 cuda dash when i figured out it was a factory radio delete car. makes my job all that much easier. found the blank off plate for the dash, now i just got to fill in that butchered hole in the R/H fender with a ford antenna sticking out of it.

I allways assume they don't work unless they say they do. These are simple radios so I would have a hard time beleving anybody that could remove one correctly could not hook up a speaker, ant , and power wire with a batt and get a basic check. If you can hook up a set of gauges you should be able to handle a radio check, I do realize some may not be able to it however. These are pretty simple things to fix if you or a friend have some electronics experence.

I had one that I didn't know if it worked or not, seen a member posted a wanted ad for the same radio and gave it to him. I could not charge anything for it since I did not know if it worked.

-
Back