Is it just me?

-

'Bout Time!!

Reaction score
Is it just me? I've barely started on my first build and every time I think I've got something figured out, I see, read, or hear something that turns my world upside:director: down. Whether it's the color I'll eventually paint my car our the power plant to use or whatever,i find myself worrying so much about the future things I psych myself out of doing anything.i know it's all psychological coach but I can't seem to beat it. So if this happens or has happened to other, what kind of advice you got?

Just go ahead and build it your way> Stop second guessing yourself and have faith brotha! And I find that task management by isolation is very important,ie; pick a small prject like the k frame and front suspension,make a firm informed decision and then plan how to do it. It will also help if you keep a build "log" by writing down everything you do. It will help keep things clear for final assembly as well by letting you know what got done and what didnt. Remember to bad and tag as you go, ziplocks and a sharpie are indispensable,as well as boxes.

And be realistic,set a budget and build within it. Budget will include labour,so if you can do the work yourself the $$ go a lot further.

I hope this helps. Motivation wise Im pretty terrible myself,but Fabo does help,with either a hug or a kick in the azz to get me going!

You just gotta start moving forward and yes things will change along the way but it's the only way to figure out what you like and what you don't.

changing your mind as you go, or read, or see others cars is normal in my opinion.. LOL .. I have changed my mind on a half dozen things since I first started my Dart... sometimes because of what I read or saw, or sometimes because after I did something I just didnt like it as much as I thought I would, and end up changing it.. but I agree with what has been said here.. you just need to start with what your basic plan, direction, and wishlist is.. stick to a budget you (and your family) can reasonably do, even if that means stretching the project out over a longer period of time (as I did) and dont worry so much about all the other stuff.. just have fun making the car what you want.. what makes you happy..

Yeah I know.it does help seeing others great projects and the progress made.just wish I has more cash.i know I'm not the only one there!

I know what you mean. Thought I had mine all figured out but that changed. Thats why I have the 6.1 sitting here waiting to go in now.

Quit reading!!!! when it comes to how you will build your car QUIT READING!!!! How other people thought my car should go together only hampered my building skills when I was younger...heck if you ask them I'm still doin it wrong.......So???? i beat the snot out of my cars everyday and I mean I show them no mercy.....:love3: My cars were put on this planet for that...so was yours!!! when it comes to technichal advice ask the questions...we're here to help ya..yea sometime's we might ask questions before we can give an answer but thats the nature of the beast.Build your car how you want to and paint it how you want to and enjoy your car...tomorrow is promised to nobody, just don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for second opinions everyone does things diffrently and you will find who is objective with their answers and you will find some that are diffrent in their objectives (this makin any sense???) their are experts out there and there are backyard mechanics that can achieve the same results....there are professional bodymen out there and there are backyard bodymen out there that can achive better results for less moneyjust depends on how picky are ya gonna be about things? do ya want to drive it for twenty years or spend money on it for twenty years tryin to please other people??? make a plan with as few modifications as possible allowing for the more costly modifications you would like down the road when you can afford them and in stages....just makin theses things run and drive with a decent paintjob and all safety equipment up to par is a Lot so git to that point and take Lil itty bitty baby steps on the rest and you will have more fun :thumblef:
Is it just me? I've barely started on my first build and every time I think I've got something figured out, I see, read, or hear something that turns my world upside:director: down. Whether it's the color I'll eventually paint my car our the power plant to use or whatever,i find myself worrying so much about the future things I psych myself out of doing anything.i know it's all psychological coach but I can't seem to beat it. So if this happens or has happened to other, what kind of advice you got?

X2......

quit reading!!!! When it comes to how you will build your car quit reading!!!! How other people thought my car should go together only hampered my building skills when i was younger...heck if you ask them i'm still doin it wrong.......so???? I beat the snot out of my cars everyday and i mean i show them no mercy.....:love3: My cars were put on this planet for that...so was yours!!! When it comes to technichal advice ask the questions...we're here to help ya..yea sometime's we might ask questions before we can give an answer but thats the nature of the beast.build your car how you want to and paint it how you want to and enjoy your car...tomorrow is promised to nobody, just don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for second opinions everyone does things diffrently and you will find who is objective with their answers and you will find some that are diffrent in their objectives (this makin any sense???) their are experts out there and there are backyard mechanics that can achieve the same results....there are professional bodymen out there and there are backyard bodymen out there that can achive better results for less moneyjust depends on how picky are ya gonna be about things? Do ya want to drive it for twenty years or spend money on it for twenty years tryin to please other people??? Make a plan with as few modifications as possible allowing for the more costly modifications you would like down the road when you can afford them and in stages....just makin theses things run and drive with a decent paintjob and all safety equipment up to par is a lot so git to that point and take lil itty bitty baby steps on the rest and you will have more fun :thumblef:

we started this car and it was going to be White console automatic mild 340 car. with factory wheels, it was done and ready for exterior paint and we changed it to an orange stroker with mini tubs. These are pics of the same car everything we took off is still here. It is coming apart now again, for a billet timing cover and other upgrades. Keep building and keep changing it. because you will never be done even when its done.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 22.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF0092.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF0094.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 163
I've done several mopars in the past and they were all just seat of the pants builds being nothing planed just did them.I am planing a build for next winter and it's driving me crazy.Changed my mind and back again several times already.I've decided to back off till winter and just do the damn thing and let things fall where they may.As long as you have a close idea of what you want just do it.I've redone my Demon three different times until I'm finally happy with the outcome.Try not to second guess yourself --GOOD LUCK

Decide what you want the car for....commuter, cruise, show, race, etc and then go for it.....you can always change things later if your needs change or it doesn't work out the way you thought.

I think I was tryin to say do the body work.....restore the mechanicals.....pick some wheels and tires.......do something with the interior.......then pick a color that goes with what ya got and paint it.......after that...YOU KNOW...beat the snot out of it!!!!! Enjoy!!
P.S. don't forget to put some tunes :afro:

As Twisted72 said, build it your way. I've changed directions on my racecar twice in the last 6 months. It was not because of something I read, or something someone said, its was what I can afford "right now". Keep your chin up and don't take any wooden nickels.

Thanks everybody I think I just needed the kick in the rear. For years before I got my duster I had it planned out, get it safe to drive and work onit a little at a time.I've seen my brother work on his'68 mustag for 5 or 6 years and he has only driven it once. That always bugged me I told myself I wouldn't do that but here I am. I think I've ben trying go get it a figured out and make it perfect. So thanks again for the hug/kick in the rear! It was just what I needed!

Dont feel too bad,my Dart has been waiting since 94...to keep the dream alive I kept adding parts to my stockpile. Then I got very ill and am now disabled,but what the he#@ Im still alive and working on my dream car. If I can do this,you most certainly can!

Get a plan and stick with it or you'll drive yourself NUTS, especilly being on a site like this where you read ,see and ask and that looks cool and maybe I'll do what he did. Build for yourself other wise your building someone elses car. Ive been in your shoes, time and money dictates everthing. Usually you don't have enough of either one.

-
Back