Is it just my carb? (not happy while cold)

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
Ok my car doesnt seem to be happy when cold.

When I first start the car and the idle screw goes onto the cam as shown in the blow picture, it sputters a decent bit. I can stop it from sputtering by either manually opening the choke valve to give it more air or by manually moving it off of that large step on the cam.

But if I give it gas while cold it might spit out some nasties out the back, white smoke with maybe a hint of blue.

Everything is good when shes warm and the engine has warmed to the point where the choke holds the valve open and the idle screw does not get stuck on that large step.

Now the engine dont sound the best, maybe a bit dull, but it does run steady and fine when warm.

I wonder if I'm just having continuing problems with my carb or if maybe my engine might be a bit warn, (maybe the piston rings or something). Whats your opinion? ANY ideas?

(compression was good last I check, but I have the desire to check again. maybe I should check and read plugs? would do now but I'm not at my place.)

318 engine with carter 2brl solid fuel carb. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2812.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 158
Sounds like the choke unloader is not working. There is a vacuum diaphragm that pulls open the choke. As soon as the engine starts running it should pull open the choke valve about a 1/4". Check the linkage (it bends to adjust) and the vacuum diaphragm to make sure its working.

Choke pull off as stated is the first choice, also use a laser digital temp sensor and check the the cross over heat passage going through the intake. It shoud rise as the exhaust manifolds do . Not as much under acceleration but at idle. I have seen these blocked solid and cause cold running problems. Loose timing chain will give cold problems also. this is the first sign of problems with a chain. Good luck hope you find it.

I'm almost certain its not my timing chain, it was very tight when I checked a month or so ago.

I'll look into the choke unloader, I'm busy rereading about carbs... then I'll look into my particular carb's unloader.

I was playing with laser temp gauges at frys yesterday, I'd almost like an excuse to get one :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

She does seem to misfire if I drive when cold. waiting for it to warm up and having to open the hood when I start it in the morning to stop the bad idling is a pain and I've gotta figure something to fix it with as little money and downtime as possible.

yes it appears my vacuum choke unloader was not doing anything. I bent the link a bit (think thats the last link I havent bent on my carb) and now it hopefully will work just dandy, I'll know tomorrow morning when I go for a cold start.

Thanks slant6

-
Back