Is it possible...

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
to see Just a hint of chocolate milk on the dipstick?
got over 500 miles on my '65 273 rebuild. Oil has stayed clean and full, mostly local short trips and a few short rips to show off a little.
I took my first distance trip today, drove it 50 miles to work and 50 miles back home in some rain on the way there. (alway's kept inside, and never drove in rain... whoops)
I checked the oil when I got home, still full and clean but what is that? a lil smear of light colored bubbly line down the side of the stick and just on the tip of the stick.
Wiped it off rechecked, same thing. Hmmmmn, It doesn't have Chocalate Milk Oil so, how can it have just some?

I'm not able to really capture what I see with my phone... maybe it's the lighting in my garage.
Anybody see it? Have any input?

20221101_013312.jpg

Most coolant in oil I've seen, you wouldn't be able to read ADD → on the dipstick.

I was thinking condensation, as well. Any moisture droplets on the bottom side of the fill cap in the valve cover or bottom of the breather?

Maybe a few more long drives as long as coolant level is normal. Short drives may be the culprit, not really getting everything hot.

Maybe a few more long drives as long as coolant level is normal. Short drives may be the culprit, not really getting everything hot.
THIS Make darn sure you get the thing up to temp and drive it long enough to get rid of condensation. "Your weather" might be a factor.

At times, when I had the beat up old FJ-40 landcruiser, various SB Mopar, and aluminum rocker covers, that thing would generate a sort of white past-ish material up in the rocker covers and oil filler cap. It lived out doors which may not have helped and had a leaky, hood with no insulation.

Also watch your coolant for sign

My sons mustang had the same when he fired it up in the spring. I told him to take it out and heat it up and after that it was clear again. Most likely weather related like others have said.

let it idle for about 30 minutes, maybe watching the temp and putting a piece of cardboard over the rad to get it up into the higher range. that oil should get nice and hot, hopefully enough to boil out the moisture. Also if you let it sit for a week or so, the water will be at bottom of pan and may be able to be drained for the most part just by cracking the pan bolt.

Drive it till it blows. That's what it's all about.

Weird, that I never saw that in all of those warm weather short trips. The One time I did drive it to full Temp is when I see this...
No Coolant Loss. The Weather thing, Yeah. It was covered in Dew with fogged up windows when I came out of work at 11: pm.
Drove it with the Heat on for the First time (New Everything) New Heater Core, Lines, T-Stat. I have a Ball Valve on the Heater Core Line.
Maybe the Moisture came from in there. Thanks to All. Nice out today 75 degrees I'm gonna go Rip it around All Day!

Last edited:
I think it's fine. We're rely fortunate in that the closest place we drive is 20 minutes away, so our vehicles always get all the way to operating temp. I think it's just condensation. Go out and drive it for a while and come back and check it. I bet it will be gone.

-
Back