Is it time for a new radiator?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My Dart has been overheating after short drives. I’ve changed the water pump, thermostat, and fan and it’s still over heating. No shroud because after many years I have not been able to find one. The radiator is 15 years old and it’s a cheap Chinese unit. I’m curious if it’s just time to spend the money on a better radiator.

360 with aluminum heads and flat tops btw

Are you running the mechanical fan or electric?
I like the electric because it free's up the HP a bit. Also you can get a large one that fits most the rad and it comes with own shroud.

If wanting to keep the mechanical, get an electric pusher fan.

Maybe that will help.

Are you running the mechanical fan or electric?
I like the electric because it free's up the HP a bit. Also you can get a large one that fits most the rad and it comes with own shroud.

If wanting to keep the mechanical, get an electric pusher fan.

Maybe that will help.

Mechanical fan.

Are you just throwing parts at it or are you actually doing any diagnosis work?

Take the radiator out and send it to a radiator shop and have it flushed and checked out. They will let you know right away for like $50 (or more depending on your area.) Best money spent.

I had a LA 360 in a 79 Ramcharger. Truck was built for offroad. I put a Ford fan on. One of those old huge ones with the big curved blades. It pulled so much air you could feel the suction when standing infront of the truck.
It pulled so hard it literally pulled the shaft out of the pump a couple times before I figured that out.
So, be careful with putting larger fans on.
Which is why I went electric.

But yes, what he said. Get the rad checked. Could just be plugged.

When hot, - Shoot the temps of the upper and lower rad fittings, not hoses.
You need 30* min, 50* or better drop in temp from top/bottom.
If there's little drop, - Shoot temps across rad, half way down.
Cool areas are plugged tubes, not flowing coolant, the bigger the cool area, the bigger the problem.
Before temp guns, I'd drag my knuckles across the front of the rad to find cools spots.
Good luck .

G
When hot, - Shoot the temps of the upper and lower rad fittings, not hoses.
You need 30* min, 50* or better drop in temp from top/bottom.
If there's little drop, - Shoot temps across rad, half way down.
Cool areas are plugged tubes, not flowing coolant, the bigger the cool area, the bigger the problem.
Before temp guns, I'd drag my knuckles across the front of the rad to find cools spots.
Good luck .
Don’t know why I never thought about that. Thanks

Are you just throwing parts at it or are you actually doing any diagnosis work?

Little bit of both Rusty. Went over today to take the thermostat out to see if maybe it was stuck close. I was going to put it in a bowl of hot water to see if it opened but I found there was no thermostat. I’ll be putting a new one in when my thermostat housing comes in. Next on the list is to make sure the hoses aren’t collapsing. After that I’m checking the fan clutch to make sure it’s operating properly. Then last but not least will be the radiator.

-
Back