is it true need info

-

silver fox

Reaction score
the duster is ready for the first long tour it's been on short trip's
we did not build this car ,don't know stall ect. it had 488's in rear changed to 323,s for road .
talking to someone they asked what the stall was & that if it did not run above the stall it would damage the trans.
? how do i find what the stall is in the car
? is this in fact true
took it out last night with gps at 60 mph it was at 2100 rpm
we,ve got one powerfull mach. here and need your help

silver fox. From what I understand if you don't run above the stall it
overheats the trans fluid which can damage the trans after a while. The
way I check stall is left foot on brake, bring up the rpm's and see at what
rpm's the rear tires start to spin. Just an approximation, but close. I have
3.23 w/27" tires and turn 2400 at 60mph. I use a stopwatch and mile markers
on the Interstate to check mine.

It depends on the design of the converter as to whether or not you have to run it above the stall speed. There are basically 2 different types of converters. Ones that are termed tight stall converters and ones that are termed loose converters. Tight converters don't really slip much until you apply alot of torque such as flooring it. Loose converters slip pretty easily. You can usually tell pretty easy what design you have if you have to give it alot of gas to take off it's a loose converter and that's the type that will slip alot if you don't have the rpm's above the stall speed. A tight converter like i have in my car that stalls at 3000 works just fine running at lower speeds cause it don't slip much until I lay into it hard.

I will say that if it's only turning 2100 at 60 mph. with 3:23 gears you must have really tall tires or it's not slipping hardly at all cause my car has 28" tires and it turns 2600+ rpm at 60 mph.

-
Back