Is it wise to push a 7 1/4?

-
Back in the '80s in H.S. I had a 70 Charger it was a 318 car I took the 318 out and put a freshly built 440 in it. I ran the original 7 1/4 rear for a few months til I scraped the money together for an 8 3/4 with 3.91 sure grip. I pretty sure a seventeen year old with a 440 isn't real easy on the gas. I was like a kid with a new toy.

I would just bide my time this year and wait until you have the upgrade. That's just me. If you have a 727 especially, and the rear breaks, you will want to pull the trans and inspect it, IMO.

The 7 1/4 rear in my car was one of the first things that got upgraded when I bought it, now I can beat the piss out of it and have less worry.

I'm just going to go easy on it so as to not break it. And I'm running a 904 trans in it. What is it about the 727? I know they can have sprag problems when they wind up, but would the same thing happen with a 904?

I wouldn't push it at all. I guess I just have bad luck like that. I won't even put a 8 3/4 in anything
any more. Twisted to many yokes off and destroyed sure grips carriers for me to mess with anything but a Dana in my cars. Even stock 440s have broke 8 3/4s in my experience.
Guaranteed to break in my opinion.

I wouldn't push it at all. I guess I just have bad luck like that. I won't even put a 8 3/4 in anything
any more. Twisted to many yokes off and destroyed sure grips carriers for me to mess with anything but a Dana in my cars. Even stock 440s have broke 8 3/4s in my experience.
Guaranteed to break in my opinion.

my dads car has been running 10.60's with 1.40 wheels up 60ft times for almost 7 yrs on a 741 case 8 3/4. full street trim demon weighs 3300 lbs. i have never personally seen an 8 3/4 break but i know it can happen. I just think that if set up proper then can take a beating.

-
Back