Is it worth it

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I am over the wanting to sell my car but I was doing some thinking and made a list of what I wanted to do to my car.

With want I want to do with it it will not be cheap.

Its a 73 duster org 3 speed auto /6

I would like to fix it up and keep if for a long time but I would like to know the money I put in it could get back ro for the most part have a car thats worth something.

Would itbeetter off starting with a 72 down duster or a demon (non 340) but a 318 car.
I do not want to start with a 340 car becuse I am not going to restore it to original.

do it for the love not the money.... dont expect to get back what you have in it.

A-bodies are a hobby, B- and E-bodies are an investment.

You could find an A-body and make some profit/break even on it, but you wouldn't be able to drive it normally.

Just my $0.02. Some might disagree, but it seems to be a general trend from what I've seen.

-Mike

Well maybe not get my money back but least know what I am putting my money in is worth money.
if its worth to you. i dumped a grip of money into a 77 charger and i have gotten so much grief from so many people for doing it. they all tell me i wasted my money , but you know what ? Fk em' . i will never get half of what i have in it and i done care. but i am never going to sell it. i did it because i love the car and not for what it would ever be worth. same with my duster. slant six car. i have done a ton of work on it , but again, i will never get back what i have in it , i do it for me and not because it will or wont ever be worth anything.

but then you get the clowns that dump a bunch of money into a slant six car and think they are going to get every dime plus double their money back, i call them flippers LOL

i have close to 30 grand in my 70 dart slant 6 car manual brakes manual steering. its that grandma green.

now it has everything i ever wanted in A body..its STILL not done and driving....i will never see that money again...could prolly sell it all for 12-15k tops considering the current market....ull never get back what u have into them....

You will never get your money back or break even.

Like stated already. If your gonna do it the do it out of love.

I am hoping on dumping about another $1.300.00 in mine..
know that all wheel bearings, rear end outer bearings, Brakes, new wheels and tires, updated electronic system, 390 Holley DP on a Offey intake powder coated, Jeep 4.0 fresh air system, mini starter and
keeping me on the road know for 4 years, so I am driving my cost off of it.
Not a duster, dart or barracuda... just a great car I love that money can not buy... yes I have a dream, and dreams are what makes life worth living jmo, then I will most likely throw $2.300.00 at her for that show room look. Witch car do you want to do ? This will be your choice, I think it will come to you
and you will be very happy with witch ever you do :happy1:

This is a great hobby, don't rush it and enjoy any day you can spend time
with it................. who knows what tomorrow will bring. so pick the best most solid car you have :happy1:

I stopped counting how much I have spent on my dart. I know it will never be worth what I have into it, but I don't care because I'll never sell it.
Maybe one of my Grandkids will want it when they plant me.

I stopped counting how much I have spent on my dart. I know it will never be worth what I have into it, but I don't care because I'll never sell it.
Maybe one of my Grandkids will want it when they plant me.

X2 and or one of my 2 sons.

i dont do it for the money its just for the love of driving something noone else has around my wagon is worth roughly 12k cause there rare expecially 63 i have almost 9k into it and still looking at 9k more. do it for the history and the preservation for the love of originallity uniqueness thats my .02cents

I tell my wife, I could spend a couple hundred a week on 2 therapy sessions with a shrink, or I could spend less than that on my car and get therapy whenever I need it. I am under no illusion that I will get my actual dollar amount out of my car, but I will be richer for the process of building it myself, I have what I consider a stressful job, when I'm out in the garage working on the car, all that stuff fades into the background, how can you put a dollar value on that?

Jason

im in the same boat as the rest of the replies. I have well over 30k in my car and to most outsiders looking in, it is a waste of money. It is what makes me happy. I think it is in a man's nature to want to "create" something that will live on past himself. My dart is my life's work. It is something that i have built with my own hands and my ideas. I know that when it is finished i will feel a sense of accomplishment that can only be felt by a man with the love of cars. Cars are what my father and I did together for most of my childhood. It was a bonding experience that I hope to share with my own son/daughter some day. It is hard to explain but I think cars are so much more than metal and parts. They are a blank canvas, waiting for your art work.

I have a ton of coin in my Dart, another $1200 this week. But its not about getting your money back, its about having some outlet in the F-ked world we live in. You can't bring it with you when your pushing up flowers my friend. Go at your pace, enjoy the build. Learn from all these fantastic mopar enthusiast here. I'm sure what ever you decide will be fun, keep a journel and post some pics. We all have our favorites, might it be A, B, E, etc, who gives a S--T, what makes you happy is all that counts. Rock and Roll

I have NEVER lost money on a project.BUT I do 90 % of the work myself and a freind that restores classic cars paints them for me for free (labor) well not free I also do work for him in return

Here,s my take on this..
I,m guessing your young?(16-21yrs old)
Having an older car will be a learning experience for you and your friends(the ones that will help you)
It,ll keep you occupied,out of trouble,out of the bars and you can watch yourself do improvements to your desire(V8,wheels,exhaust...bling)
At the end of the day you can feel better about yourself knowing that YOU have done this all on your own.:D
Watch as the other goofballs blow their money and have nothing...while you,ll still have your baby you built.Good luck

Here,s my take on this..
I,m guessing your young?(16-21yrs old)
Having an older car will be a learning experience for you and your friends(the ones that will help you)
It,ll keep you occupied,out of trouble,out of the bars and you can watch yourself do improvements to your desire(V8,wheels,exhaust...bling)
At the end of the day you can feel better about yourself knowing that YOU have done this all on your own.:D
Watch as the other goofballs blow their money and have nothing...while you,ll still have your baby you built.Good luck

^^^^^^
What Scott said!

Keith, I don't know what sort of improvements you are considering that would make much difference '72 vs '73 in the long run, which is what you've stated is the goal for the car.
So, keep on keepin' on with what you have!
If that elusive '72 318 with a good body comes along, most all the parts will swap over if you want to go there at that point...
C

Build a car that reflects your personality, who you are. A /6 Duster is a perfect starting point for a hot street car. Anything you do to it will make it worth more and more. Do what work you can yourself to keep the costs down and learn as you go. Enjoy the hobby and don't get caught up in the what will it be worth stuff when it's done.

Ok so I am over the wanting to sell my car but I was doing some thinking and made a list of what I wanted to do to my car.

With want I want to do with it it will not be cheap.

Its a 73 duster org 3 speed auto /6

I would like to fix it up and keep if for a long time but I would like to know the money I put in it could get back ro for the most part have a car thats worth something.

Would itbeetter off starting with a 72 down duster or a demon (non 340) but a 318 car.
I do not want to start with a 340 car becuse I am not going to restore it to original.

how old are you?

Paid $1500 for his old girl, when I found her abandoned at a gas station with a Large hole where cyl # 1 once was... & many years & many hours & lots of $$$$ later, she is still my baby, & it will go to my wife or 1 of my boys. Do it for the Love of it, don't do it for the investment. If that is the case buy one already done. But at 17, YOU have LOTS of time!!!

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 205
-
Back