Is it worth it?

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
I found an absolutely rust free 70 Dart with a 340/904 in it. Car was originally a /6. interior is in very good condition but suffers from the typical dash pad, head liner issues with some small rips in the seat.

The body needs to be redone but all the metal is straight and clean.

The car runs and drives and the guy wants 6k for it...

To much or a good price?

with out pictures-- I say too much, that car for 6 k sounds like it needs quite a bit--- Lawrence

The cost of the body work is a moot point because i will be doing it.
All the gaps look good, and body lines are straight.

O' and the bumpers and valence is there just haven't been put back onto the car.

I keep thinking that its high priced but damn clean.

Just looking for some input from you guys to see if i'm missing something or blinded by excitement.

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2674.jpg

DSCF2683.jpg

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2949.jpg

That looks like a 7-1/4 rear in there.......no? That's a sure and certain disaster waiting to happen.......Not worth nearly 6K as-is.......In a much better and higher seller market, I purchased a 72 Demon 318/904/8-3/4 Combo with 1 year old paint and nice upholstery for 5K, just for one quick example.

Even with that 340, it's about a 3.5K+ car at best.......and I've done quite a few.....my humble opinion.

I noticed the same thing about the rear end.

That is the kind of feedback i was looking for.
A clean like that is hard to find up north where i am, so i was wondering if i was blinded by that.

It's happened to me before, and it ain't pretty when you realize just how much moola you had to invest to get what you wanted and what would return your investment........

I've never failed to make a profit on my A's, BUT I had to start with the right car to begin with.......I have a survivor 67 Cuda with a 7-1/4, but it's an original car..........different story altogether...........If I resto-modded it, the rear would have to go, and the trans, and etc....etc....

Just bought a Duster with a 7-1/4 too.......BUT, I had a great deal lined up on an 8-3/4 to replace it with (cheap), and the car just needs basics....body is done, paint, etc.......for 3.5K.......after I add the chrome, covers, touch-ups and re-clear, etc, I'm sittin' pretty and can get my money back out of the car and more.

Just think long and hard, write out a detailed parts and material list, add an additional 12 to 15% (for cost over-runs), and then look at the total and make a decision on how much you can pay for the car.

That looks like a 7-1/4 rear in there.......no? That's a sure and certain disaster waiting to happen.......Not worth nearly 6K as-is.......In a much better and higher seller market, I purchased a 72 Demon 318/904/8-3/4 Combo with 1 year old paint and nice upholstery for 5K, just for one quick example.

Even with that 340, it's about a 3.5K+ car at best.......and I've done quite a few.....my humble opinion.

I paid $4000.00 for my Duster less than a year ago and it is a one owner. And it was kept just like the day she picked it up new.

HPIM1697 (Medium).JPG

that 72 front clip would drive me crazy.

doesn't look to be worth anywhere near 6k to me.

why was the front end changed? was it hit?

why was the front end changed? was it hit?

That was my first thought. Any time a whole clip has been changed, I would suspect a hard front end collision and would inspect the front sub frame carefully.

If everything checked out, I'd offer $3k and maybe pay $3500.

plus they used a 72 clip. so now the side markers don't match. that would drive me nuts man..lol

that car is no where near the 6k asking--- even the 3k would be pushing it -sounds like you are wanting the car bad-- so that will show in your negotiations--- good luck--- Lawrence

that car is no where near the 6k asking--- even the 3k would be pushing it -sounds like you are wanting the car bad-- so that will show in your negotiations--- good luck--- Lawrence

I want a CLEAN body badly. I'm going to keep hunting.

Thanks guys for the input, i appreciate it.

-
Back