is my 318 engine combo gonna work?

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
First off,the bottom end of the engine is new rebuilt as i bought it in the car,so i know the pistons arent as good as the kbs,but im on a limited budget,and also planning a 360 shortblock later,so im hoping what i am putting in this motor will work in the 360 later.Im am at the moment trying to make this a fun car to drive around for the time being,so here goes. The engine is .030 over,with federal mogul cast flat tops,4 valve relief pistons.The deck height is 1.720.The heads are 302 casting heads,ported and gasket matched by me.They will be decked .030,and a 3 angle valve job performed.I will be running th mopar performance thin head gaskets,there .029 thick.The cam is a lunati voodoo,with 226intake dureation at .050,494 lift,234 duration,513 exhaust lift.The lobe center is 110 degrees.I am using edelbrock torker valve springs.I have a weiand stealth intake,holley 750 vaccum secondary carb,mopar electronic dist,prob 727 with 2500-2800 stall converter,and 391 gears.I do have a 904 tranny that is rebuilt,if it would be better,but only have a stock conveter for it right now.So what did i leave out?Will it be a dog?Or will it be a fun car to drive?Its all going in a full body 71 dart,thanks,guys

I would go smaller on the cam and carb.

I personally like the 904 behind small blocks. They take about 30hp less to spin and you can add a low 1st gear set for dirt cheap.

Carb is good IMO, not a big deal ethier way. Factory converter wll be fine. A higher stall would be great though. If you exp. problems with the cam to big for the converter, though I really dont see big problems, I have used Rhodes lifters to help in this area. True, your going to get a few people saying "Band Aid!" but, it works and well.

Toby,
I think it's a good combo. looks like you've thought about it for awhile.
True the 904 has a lower first gear but then there both 1:1 in high gear, so I would use the stall and the 727, everything else sounds good, but 1.72 is compression height not deck height. You'll have .055-.060 deck if the block hasn't been cut. The use of mid and late 80's roller pistons will get you .030 more compression as the CD is 1.75 and fits the LA rods. This should get you near 1 more point in compression.

I finally got up with the guy in my are with the slightly used stall converters for the 904.One is a hughes racing,3000 stall,the other is a tci(i think?)2500 stall,my choice for 50.00-60.00 bucks.I am thinking ill go with the 3000 stall,mainly because i dont think its gonna stall that much in my 318,prob more like 2800,thats right were i like it to be at.As far as the pistons go,i do have and 85 318,roller block,from a truck.Would it have the higher comp pistons?or not quite new enough?either way,im planning to go ahead with my combo ive got going,and get bobby to build my 349 or 360 sometime this summer.Then ill just take the cam,and everything else,except the heads,and reuse them.Prob sale the 318 with a comp 480 cam i was gonna use,but decided not too,and the torker 340 intake.Im sure somebody will want it.

your combo of big port intake 750,cam, low compression with piston down the hole at tdc will probably not stall over2200.but your 3.9 gears will help it pick up ok to get going ,i'de put a smaller carb and make sure cam gets advanced about 4-6 degrees to try and get some low end power back,even iff you have to borrow an old 600 or a afb-ken

So if i use my cloyes true roller timing chain set,set to 4 degrees advanced,and my 650 holley insted of my 750 holley,it should relly roast the tires?Im gonna find out soon,because im ready to ride!

Toby I know you've been putting as much into this build as I have mine, but I think that would put you more right on track. The other thing I have seen is that you are building your 318 to prepare for your 360... might have been better off just building the 360 and being done with it. I know the money factor involves itself here but for the time, work, and money that you have put into it so far... I think the 360 could have been there just as easily.

So if i use my cloyes true roller timing chain set,set to 4 degrees advanced,and my 650 holley insted of my 750 holley,it should relly roast the tires?Im gonna find out soon,because im ready to ride!

the best way to make sure of cam timing is to check it properly[do you know anyone who can do that for you] it may still be a bit lacking to get tyres spinning because of cam size but let us know how it goes-ken

and today,my good buddy eric brought something to my attention.He reminded me about the low gear swap from later 999 trannys into my 904.I had heard of this swap 10 or so years ago,but have been running 727s most of my life.The added torque distribution of the lower first gear,along with a goos stall converter and a decent rear ger should make this engine combo liveable on the street,and maybe fun on the track too

I have them, its nice but 1st to 2nd has a big drop. It goes from 2.74 to 1.54. The standard ratio goes from 2.45 to 1.45 so you don't lose as much rpm on the shift. But yeah, after 1st gear, you might be out in front already.

Its available for the 727 trans too but cost way more, not sure ex. but like $150 for the 904 trans and $800 for the 727

it looks good,now i got to rebuild the carb,and paint the engine compartment,then shell be ready to fire up.I dont know how it will run,but it shure does look good!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I still got to figure out the stall converter issue for the 904.I found one close to me for sale cheap,but the guy wont call back,so if i cant find one soon that i can afford,i guess ill have to rob the 727 and 2800 stall out of my truck.I wanted to use the rebuilt 904,so i could use the lower first gear set i have,but im about out of money now,and desperate times call for desperate measures

Man I'm all for you usinr that 727 as long as you remember your gonna lose about 30HP out of your motor that you've worked so hard on. Would much rather see you wait and get the converter for your 904, I think you'll be much happier if you do. But, just my opinion...

And im still planning to find the old magazine articles to help with the low gear swap for dummies,unless somebody on here wants to to tell me how to do it,lol

-
Back