Is my 340 stroked

-
I would think a stroked 340 with an xe268 cam would seem small and pump out the torque all the way through the RPMs. Had to do a lot of tuning to get my 318 to run right with that cam with a stock converter.
Probably not stroked.

I would think a stroked 340 with an xe268 cam would seem small and pump out the torque all the way through the RPMs. Had to do a lot of tuning to get my 318 to run right with that cam with a stock converter.
I think it's got more to do with amount of overlap per cid (cid & head flow ratio probably plays a large roll too ) cause the low band of rpms the engine doesn't like to operate in than low rpm torque output.

If you're going to use an aftermarket camshaft, you have to 'match' the rest of your parts to get the right combo. I have a 1972 340 block in my street -strip Duster....(For Sale currently).
It's been bored .040 with 10.1 forged pistons, and has an Eagle 4" steel crank. So total cubic inches is 418". The converter, if using an automatic, is really important. Same with the carb, intake, rear gears...etc.

I don't know if it's been posted already. Get a long screwdriver. Get a piston at TDC. Doesn't have to be too close. Stick screwdriver down hole so it's contacting the piston. Make a ref mark on the screwdriver with a sharpie. Turn the engine over by hand, and find BDC. Stick screwdriver down hole again and measure difference. Don't scratch the bore. It's very easy to tell difference between 3.3" and 4". I confirmed a 360 based 408 this way.

I don't know if it's been posted already. Get a long screwdriver. Get a piston at TDC. Doesn't have to be too close. Stick screwdriver down hole so it's contacting the piston. Make a ref mark on the screwdriver with a sharpie. Turn the engine over by hand, and find BDC. Stick screwdriver down hole again and measure difference. Don't scratch the bore. It's very easy to tell difference between 3.3" and 4". I confirmed a 360 based 408 this way.
A bamboo or wood skewer may fit better and is less likely to damage anything. But main point is it is easy to verify the stroke

That comp cam xe268h you have needs more converter. I know they say 2500 but it will be lazy on the bottom and you will never have any usable low end. At least 3000 stall. I've been down that road. Really a GOOD 3500 stall and a cooler. Then you can tune it. You will have to work on the ignition timing as well. Base timing will most likely be around 16. Lock out the mechanical advance to a total of about 36. Some will say no vacuum advance, try it both ways. Myself I use it on a street car. That 650 will feed it just fine. That should get it the ball park.
About 12 years ago, I converted my 69 340 Cuda from an Automatic to a four speed. A few years before that, I put that exact cam in my car (GREAT cam). Even though Comp said it should be fine with a stock 340 converter, it didn't. The car idled poorly when stopped and in gear and fell on its face when taking my foot off the brake pedal and stepping on the gas. I put in a, if I remember right, 3000 stall and that helped a bunch. Huge improvement.

-
Back