is my car in any way special/rare or more valuable than any other? 70 340.

-

pld0vr

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I recently bought a 1970 Dart Swinger. It does have the 340, and the VIN tag decodes to a 340 car.

It is not stock... it was originally a manual car, but a 4 speed has been swapped in.

The car was repainted from yellow to maroon... still using the same block but it has J heads and a 6-71 blower with dual holley 600s. Came with the stock hood - unmolested, seperate.

I also don't have the stock wheels and am rolling on a set of 20s with a Pro Touring theme.

I recently read somewhere that the 1970 340 was somewhat rare... I honestly do not know so I thought I'd ask. Below is the VIN... it is a Canadian car.

LM23H0R232980

Also... the rear bumper has a pair of rubbers bumper things on it that I see some cars do not have.. are they easily removable... stock??

I suppose the other reason I am asking is because I have been planning on shaving the side markers, handles, antenne, etc, and doing a pretty crazy custom Pro Touring Rod.

If it really is a #'s matching '70 Dart Dart Swinger with a 340 and a manual tranny then yes, its more rare than most. The Canadian build makes it more rare as well. Got a build sheet or fender tag for the car? Might go a long way in showing how rare it really is.

But, as was mentioned, making it a "crazy custom pro touring rod" would pretty much ruin any added value it might have had.

If you're hearts set on a pro touring rod, I would return as much of the '70 to stock, sell it, and use the money to buy a /6 grandma's grocery getter dart and have a bunch of leftover cash for your build.

A lot of 340 swingers were built at the Canadian plant in Windsor. That's not really anything special.

If it was a Canadian spec car, that's a different deal and still not something that makes in more marketable, IMHO.

I agree with 1968FormulaS340. I ain't buyin' it. You are driving a dart with dual quads and a 6-71 blower and you don't know what "the rubber bumper things" are or know how to remove them? Huh.

First of all, Welcome aboard. You mentioned it was originally a manual but a 4 speed has been swapped in, do you mean the car came from the factory with a three speed ? So you have an FY1, 3 speed 340 Swinger with the matching number block and you want to customize it ? Obviously it is your car and you can do what you want, however, when it come time to sell you are cutting your market down considerably. Post some pictures so we can see what you are working with.

5575_103173259453_516074453_1927837_2354764_n.jpg

5575_103173249453_516074453_1927835_496116_n.jpg

5575_103173254453_516074453_1927836_6660975_n.jpg

I really think this is a troll post..... Or worse.....

1. You have more money than brains.
2. You have nice parents that buy their little boy whatever he wants.

I am here to talk about cars, not my personal life. Please ruin some other thread.

Got a build sheet or fender tag for the car?

Nope. The tag has been removed.

If you're hearts set on a pro touring rod, I would return as much of the '70 to stock, sell it, and use the money to buy a /6 grandma's grocery getter dart and have a bunch of leftover cash for your build.

Nice thought but nah... too much worked involved in that. I have other projects and work 6days wk 12hr days... I just don't have time to start from scratch. This one has the bulk of it done already. Besides, even the grocery getters are impossible to find here.

It will be worth a lot more stock then cut all up thats for sure.

That is a matter of opinion. I don't see how shaved handles and side markers would equate to, "all cut up". I do however intend to install tubular k-member and a 4link... suck in the bumpers.. kandy paint, etc.

I agree with 1968FormulaS340. I ain't buyin' it. You are driving a dart with dual quads and a 6-71 blower and you don't know what "the rubber bumper things" are or know how to remove them? Huh.

You should see the work done on my other vehicles... and yes I do most of it myself... but yeah, I don't know how to remove them.

Honestly... I haven't really looked. I figured it could not hurt to ask? I don't see the big deal in that. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm not afraid to ask questions.

Jr,
Before You Destroy This Dart.
Sell It And Buy Yourself A Camaro.

The 60s Camaro is beautiful but too expensive. I'm not selling it and I don't care what you think about my plans. Thanks for being constructive.

First of all, Welcome aboard. You mentioned it was originally a manual but a 4 speed has been swapped in, do you mean the car came from the factory with a three speed ? So you have an FY1, 3 speed 340 Swinger with the matching number block and you want to customize it ? Obviously it is your car and you can do what you want, however, when it come time to sell you are cutting your market down considerably. Post some pictures so we can see what you are working with.

Finally, a reasonable reply. Thank you... yes it was a 3speed, but a 4speed with twin disk has been installed instead.

Yes, I do want to customize it. This was what I could find in the best shape, for the least amount of money... for a rust free chassis I did pretty good. $15k. My only intent in finding a car, was to build a (another) custom car that I could take to shows and rip around on the street with.

I had to do quite a bit to it since I picked it up... new rad, suspension work, swapped 390 carbs for 600s, birdcatcher, replaced ghetto exhaust, extensive cut polish... new buckets (on order), 20s... the other wheels rubbed like crazy. Timing was set at 0deg advance.

I will probably never sell it. I just wanted to get an idea of the value. When I bought it... I didn't care about numbers anything... it just happens that I got this one.

Any other useful info? Any idea how many were made? One guy says nothing special... the other says rare... what's up?

Welcome
I hope it has frame connecter's on it, That could be allot of hp.

Honestly I like the car except for the big wheels, go back to smaller size. Match the front to back and it will look better, even if you wanted 17's. The blower looks great too! It is your car and you do what you want. If you plan on selling it put it back to original, if you are like me you will never sell and do what you want with it!

What is it like to drive on the street?

Honestly I like the car except for the big wheels, go back to smaller size. Match the front to back and it will look better, even if you wanted 17's. The blower looks great too! It is your car and you do what you want. If you plan on selling it put it back to original, if you are like me you will never sell and do what you want with it!

What is it like to drive on the street?

I have all 4 chrome wheels, but I'm waiting for the bolt adapters to show up for the back. I'm not into small wheels, sorry.. but that's a taste thing. You'd love the 24s on my truck. lol.

The billet wheels it came with do not fit right... the tires rub like crazy.

It gets a lot of attention though.. especially with the 292 purple shaft cam. VERY lumpy... it's a pretty aggressive engine for the street.

i'll aprove you post but keep it civil,no need for name calling.and yea we have a few :bootysha: here but out of ten thousand we have a great ratio 9999 8) to 1 :bootysha: ratio is pretty good.Welcome to f.a.b.o. and enjoy your car and how you wan't to fix it up. :cheers:
P.S. hope you can forgive them we have a few show up here that are full of it.

i'll aprove you post but keep it civil,no need for name calling.and yea we have a few :bootysha: here but out of ten thousand we have a great ratio 9999 8) to 1 :bootysha: ratio is pretty good.Welcome to f.a.b.o. and enjoy your car and how you wan't to fix it up. :cheers:
P.S. hope you can forgive them we have a few show up here that are full of it.

Thank you. A good forum is always one of the best ways to learn about a car.

Sadly it does not.. and I agree with you. However.... this car will never see slicks.

Even without slicks, they will break front windshields, DAMHIK!

Might want to strongly gconsider connectors, The doors will start being hard to close, side windows not lining up, wind leaks.. it's all fun

-
Back