Is my motor crooked?

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing a LA 318 to a 5.9 Magnum swap. I feel like the motor looks a little crooked. Everything lines up though, the engine is bolted to the trans and the bolts on the motor mounts are sitting in the spool on the k frame. I've been staring at this so long that I think it's giving me vertigo. How do I check to make sure it's straight?
20150323_095710_zpslwiqpuj7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that is the correct position . nice looking set up by the way

Ditto but don't get to caught up on it. If everything lined up and bolted in, you'll be fine.

Ditto. If everything lined up and you don't have interference issues anywhere I'd leave it alone. They're supposed to be straight, but there's some adjustment in the mounts and things, and of course some variances in the body tolerances etc, so I doubt too many of them are perfect. As long as it bolts up and clears it should be fine.

crooked or offset? If it is offset to the passenger side, this is normal on a A body to clear the steering box.

Are your legs even??? LOL!

It looks ok...

What do you call a woman with one leg longer than the other?

Eileen... (I-lean...)

Kinda difficult to tell because the actual picture is crooked. I think it is right. You had several lines there to straighten the picture by. Look at the bottom of the windshield opening. See how crooked the picture is? That kinda throws the rest off a little.

keep in mind the motor winds up a certain way and needs to be offset a little to counter that (kind like why they sometimes have an extra leafspring on one side

How to check it?
Level the car. Check at the carb pad.
Leveling the car can be tricky. I usually jack the rear end up off the floor and stand a 4 X 4 post under the center of the diff, with a 3/4" rod on top of it as a teeter-totter, on the vehicle centerline. Then drop the diff down on top of it,(leaving the wheels off the floor),and so its as centered as you can get it it( no biggie to be off a wee bit). Then you have to level the front.There are several ways to do that. 1) is a straight edge and level: across the top of the fenders,cowl, or rad support, or 2) a tape measure and the inside top of the wheel openings, or 3) measuring from the LCA pivot pins, to the concrete floor.Of the 3, I like the cowl.I get to stand up.I use equal length spacers, one on each side, and a 7ft or 8ft beam, bungeed down.Its a bit tricky, but doable.I cant imagine that the carb pad needs to be perfect.Of the few Ive checked it never was, but wasnt off enough to worry about, except one.That one I shimmed.

Dude your engine looks fine , put it together and go have fun with it , nice job

Could it be possible that the car is straight and YOU are crooked??? :D

Work of art right there :)

Put the old motor back in I bet its crooked also.

LOL! That's funny, especially if the OP actually does it.( Put the old motor back in that is )

Doesn't "crooked" imply being up to no good, or having ill intent in a criminal sort of way?

really though the engine looks fine to me. If it was leaning, you would know it, you wouldn't have to ask

usually it is a bad motor mount and it will lean really good.

Looks great dude - really beautiful - your perspective may be off because of the brake booster and all on the drivers side. Seems like I have seen this before. If the Fan grinds or the drive shaft rubs THEN your in trouble. HA Ha! Looks gorgeous! Have Fun with it.
Later
Bcudamatt

-
Back