is that a nova?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
took the kids to Micky Ds yesterday
I parked the duster and was getting the kids out when this guy who was parked next to me struck up a conversation

Him: Hey, is that a nova?
Me: Nope, Plymouth, 71 duster
Him: Sounds great, what does it have under the hood?
Me: 408
Him: yeah, I thought it sounded like a big block
Me: it's not, its a stroked small block
Him: ....

gotta love people :D

In this day and age most people don't know. But I never call an engine by it's final CID. Tell them It's a (base engine, 318, 360, etc) bored to / stroked to etc

The fact that they showed SOME interest is encouraging.

I got a lot of those kinds of interactions at shows this last year. The conversations were great. Most folks didn't care really about what was under the hood they just wanted to talk. I told one guy who asked what was under the hood..." A bunch of metal that contains controlled explosions of fuel and air resulting in sweet ear candy and this thing we call horsepower!" I thought he was going to piss himself laughing.

I was looking at cars at some show forget where, and I'm looking at this Chevy. I never said a word he starts telling me all about it. Gets to the part where he says its got a 383. I said really, I had one of those in my Roadrunner. Just messin with him but he looked at me like I was nuts.

I had a guy tell me all the time when I had my 65 Valiant "nice Nova" I just always said "thanks".

A funny thing for me was, when I had my 72 340 Demon years ago, people would often comment "nice duster" but if I drove my duster, I got the "nova" comment pretty often.

My Duster has yet to be mistaken for a Nova. However I was once asked if it had a /6. I guess he didn't hear me coming into the gas station. Just smiled and said "nope, 360." Told me his old /6 Duster was the best car he'd ever had. Nice guy, just a bit deaf, I think.

Steve

My Dart doesn't have any badging on it at all and got called a Chevelle and a Pontiac in the same day (today)

Either one could be taken as a compliment I guess. :D

I had a 67 barracuda notch sitting out by my fence and someone wanted to know if that "corvair was fer sale or if I had any other corvair parts"

My Duster has yet to be mistaken for a Nova. However I was once asked if it had a /6. I guess he didn't hear me coming into the gas station. Just smiled and said "nope, 360." Told me his old /6 Duster was the best car he'd ever had. Nice guy, just a bit deaf, I think.

Steve

What??? :dontknow:

took the kids to Micky Ds yesterday
I parked the duster and was getting the kids out when this guy who was parked next to me struck up a conversation

Him: Hey, is that a nova?
Me: Nope, Plymouth, 71 duster
Him: Sounds great, what does it have under the hood?
Me: 408
Him: yeah, I thought it sounded like a big block
Me: it's not, its a stroked small block
Him: ....

gotta love people :D

[ame]https://youtu.be/-l5tpY6SXMc[/ame]

When I first got my Dart, my friends (we're all young'ns) swore I got a 1970's Mustang. They know better now though. B)

Every time I take a shell to the scrap yard, I get the same question...."what year Chevelle is that"??? I guess they're so used to seeing Chevys being junked that they never expect a Mopar to come through!!!

In the past my Duster was regularly mistaken for a Camaro - in Austria there have always been only very few american cars on the streets.
Nowadays - with fast-and-furious and need-for-speed socialized teenagers - the Duster is normally called a Barracuda.

Yesterday my Demon was mistaken for a Ford Capri (by an Englishman...)

When I first got my Dart, my friends (we're all young'ns) swore I got a 1970's Mustang. They know better now though. B)

there is a kid in my church who often asks how the "mustang" is coming along
and he does it with the kind of a smile that I cant tell if he's being serious or yanking my chain

on a side note, I had a few VW passats before I got the duster
and you don't want to know how often I heard "nice jetta"

one thing is for sure, that duster gets some looks
(got a thumbs up from a guy driving a fairly new corvette the other day...I guess he was impressed he couldn't walk her)

I sometimes get ask if my 68 Dart is a GTO, when I tell them its a Dart I sometimes get a confused look. I guess because it doesn't look like there grandmas slant 6 car that they remember.

there is a kid in my church who often asks how the "mustang" is coming along
and he does it with the kind of a smile that I cant tell if he's being serious or yanking my chain

on a side note, I had a few VW passats before I got the duster
and you don't want to know how often I heard "nice jetta"

one thing is for sure, that duster gets some looks
(got a thumbs up from a guy driving a fairly new corvette the other day...I guess he was impressed he couldn't walk her)

I think you are yanking our chain.
Nobody say's "Nice Jetta" :D

My challenger has been a charger for as long as I have owned it. At least they get the mopar part right lol.

My 71 roadrunner has been referred to as a Chevelle, Camaro, Charger, & Barracuda. The only acceptable wrong answer it accepted was a Satellite, which of course it is. (Sorta) At least it hasn't been mistaken for a Ford.

I pulled into a bar one night and parked behind a pickup of one brand or another. Couple hours later, a guy leaves and comes right back in the door. He makes an announcement and says, "Whoever has the orange SS outside, you're blocking me in!". I didn't move. He comes back in about 2 minutes later and says, "Hey! Who's freakin Nova is this out here?" That's when I knew he was talking about my Duster!

I've had people come up behind my Shelby at cruise ins and I hear them
say "sure doesn't look like a fox body"

I just leave them be unless they want to talk and then I tell them what it is.

Attachments

• 052a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 052aa.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 337
I took my '69 GTS over to see my Dad today at his Alzheimer's care facility. I parked out front and as I was walking in a guy was walking out and stopped to ask if it was my car parked there.

"Yep, that's mine."

"Wow, that's cool. Is it a Ford?"

"No, it's a Dodge."

"Fairlane?"

"No, it's a Dart."

"Ford made a Dart?"

"No, it's a Dodge Dart."

"Really? Are you sure."

"Pretty sure. Are you a patient here?"

<blank stare> "What?"

"Never mind, glad you like the car."

LOL!