Is the Airgap the right intake for life in Canada?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I'm planning on finally buying the #7576 Edelbrock Air Gap for my LA360
Currently I have the Edelbrock torker 340.

Does anyone think the Airgap is the wrong intake to run in a slightly colder climate. I live in Newfoundland, Canada (Spring/summers usually between 10-20 degrees Celsius maybe a high of 25 if we're lucky LOL) I usually only drive the car on nice days, and only in the spring and summer time.

I don't mind letting it warm up for a bit before taking her out.

Also, does anyone know if the air gap is significantly taller then the torker?
Just want to make sure I don't have any hood clearance issues.

Here are the specs.
'74 360 topped with Edelbrock 650 carb, in a 67 barracuda with 727. Carb currently has a small spacer under it.

Thanks, Wilco

I live in Colorado which is about the same, maybe 5*C more than you on average and I run an Air-Gap manifold on my 360 Magnum, works fine. I use a factory-style dual-snorkel 4-bbl. air cleaner with working heat riser and it really helps warm up the intake quicker when it's cold outside. If you feel the bottom of the plenum with your hand it gets colder when you first start it up (due to the vacuum and air flow) until the radiant heat from the engine makes its way up there which takes a good 10 minutes, at least. Mine is usually able to idle without stalling after 5 minutes warming up.

All depends on whether there's manifold heat and a choke stove (like a stock big block). While you might get away without a choke stove by running an electric choke (not just electrically assisted like the stock Mopar) or dealing with a manual one, if you don't live in SoCal where it's at least 70 degrees most of the year with relatively little humidity, you're not going to like an unheated manifold much.
After you've washed down the cylinder walls for a while with all the raw fuel that's fallen out of suspension or never emulsified in the first place, your engine won't either.

So would I be better off with the Edelbrock performer RPM instead of the RPM Airgap?

Would I notice a big performance difference between the RPM airgap and the Performer RPM?

The carb is an electric choke Edelbrock Thunder series 650 AVS.

I'm sure the upgrade from the original Torker340 it currently has on there will wake it up nicely :)

I agree with Kimmer on this one. 100% correct IMO

So would I be better off with the Edelbrock performer RPM instead of the RPM Airgap?

For running all year round or just most of the months when the roads are good but still cold outside, yes!

Would I notice a big performance difference between the RPM airgap and the Performer RPM?
Yes, the Air Gap will be a cranky S.O.B. to outright a pain in the *** when the mercury drops. The further it drops the worse it'll be running the air-gap.

Performance wise, not a lick difference.

The carb is an electric choke Edelbrock Thunder series 650 AVS.
Good all around choice IMO.

I'm sure the upgrade from the original Torker340 it currently has on there will wake it up nicely :)
Much nicer low end torque and mid-range power. I didn't really notice any difference in top end punch.

the air gap will be fine in the summer months i have no probs and were practically neighbours but as kimmer said the perf rpm is a great choice

I think you would be better served with the Performer. It good from Idle to 5500 rpm so its perfect for street driving. Sometime less is more.

..a hot plenum is better for a street intake and will probably give better mileage.
.. if you like to tune,an A/F meter is best and the inovate web site has some good info
..my choice for the street would be most any used dual plane.

..a hot plenum is better for a street intake and will probably give better mileage.
.. if you like to tune,an A/F meter is best and the inovate web site has some good info
..my choice for the street would be most any used dual plane.

x2

As much as I wanted to run an Air Gap, I decided on a Performer RPM just for this reason. It's gets down into the 20's and 30's where I live (at night/mornings) so I didn't want any regrets. Besides, I figured....how much power would I really be losing.

My car is used from April to October and I like my air gap... I do let it warm up first for a couple mins but mine fires in the garage and after 15 sec it will idle on its own. I know the climate in the GTA is not exactly cold during these months. It's an interesting question that I had not really thought about....

As much as I wanted to run an Air Gap, I decided on a Performer RPM just for this reason. It's gets down into the 20's and 30's where I live (at night/mornings) so I didn't want any regrets. Besides, I figured....how much power would I really be losing.

My thoughts exactly, I was sure I wanted the Air Gap but now I'm leaning more towards the Performer RPM. Doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference there. Choices, choices LOL

Your welcome. Anytime I can help, I do.

I have an airgap on my 360 and I hate dealing with it when its cold. Car is very cold hearted, but I have no choke on the carb either.

If its for street driving I would go with the regular RPM or an LD340 if you can dig one up.

any of those with have a ton more torque than the torker. LOL

So I ordered the Performer RMP along with some other stuff at Summit but the intake seems to be back ordered for another month.... Damn.. So I called Summit (great guys to deal with) and they do have lots of the RPM Air gap's in stock, so I decided to give it a shot. It shouldn't be too much of a problem in the cold since I do have a electric choke carb on my setup and it's not a daily driver by any means, only gets driven on the nice sunny days LOL. Can't wait to put it on :)

-
Back