is there a factory 6qt oil pan for 5.9L

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I have a 2nd Gen 02 ram 2500 2wd pickup. The oil capacity is only 4.7qts with the std shorty filter. By putting a wix 51515 (long)filter on it I can expand capacity to 5qts. I want to know if there is oem 5.9L magnum 6qt oil pan(& pickup) that was ever made, which will fit my truck.

My '97 Ram needs 5 quarts to bring the stick to the full mark... plus the filter.

I use 5qts with shorty filter. Brings it right on the mark with engine cold. I can't understand how your coming up with 4.7 qts? Put the rest in the engine.

I use 5qts with shorty filter. Brings it right on the mark with engine cold. I can't understand how your coming up with 4.7 qts? Put the rest in the engine.
owners manual says 4.7 qts with shorty filter, which pretty much agrees with my first oil change: 5qts with long filter brings right up to full on dipstick. I can't understand why they never offered a "6qt" pan for trucks and/or HD apps.

owners manual says 4.7 qts with shorty filter, which pretty much agrees with my first oil change: 5qts with long filter brings right up to full on dipstick. I can't understand why they never offered a "6qt" pan for trucks and/or HD apps.

It shows 4.7 liters not qts. It then shows 5 qts beside the 4.7 liters.
4.7 liters is 5 qts.
Also it does not say short or long filter .... it just says 5qts with filter. This is for the 5.9 Magnum engine. I have the service manual right here looking right at it.

Yeah it would have been nice for a 6 qt pan. I have been looking off and on for a 6 qt pan for my 03 Ram with a 408 but have not pushed the issue really hard.

This the KEVKO PAN that would work with our trucks.

It shows 4.7 liters not qts. It then shows 5 qts beside the 4.7 liters.
4.7 liters is 5 qts.
Also it does not say short or long filter .... it just says 5qts with filter. This is for the 5.9 Magnum engine. I have the service manual right here looking right at it.
you are correct, sir. 4.7L = 5qts. You are also correct, I must have misread owners manual, it specs 4.7L or 5qts.
However, though it doesn't specify "short" or "long" filters, it does spec Mopar #5281090, which is a "shorty" filter.
Thanks for clarifying that situation, but I'm still looking for a 6qt "oem style" pan. Though not an ace welder, I'm thinking I may just buy a Dorman replacement pan for $38 and "modify" it to accept another qt.

-
Back