Is there a formula for antifreeze

-

grassy

Reaction score
Tested the Duster today...we are good for 0 to -10C.

Thanks is not low enough...does anyone know how much I nee3d to put it to get -35 ?

Thanks
ian.

The more antifreeze / less water the lower the freeze point I mix mine 50/50 & that's should be good for 5 to 10 below You might wanna try full antifreeze, no water. Then test it with a tester. Good luck

50/50..is good.. too much anti freeze and it will gel , not frozen but gel.
50/50 is the norm, but slightly more 60/40 is as far as I would go. Distilled water helps as well, keeps the hardness and minerals out of the rad and block that make corrosion as well as break down the antifreeze faster.

Actually, you will find that pure antifreeze has a higher freezing point than antifreeze + water. If mixed 50/50 Zerex or Prestone is good for -34°F. Mixed 70/30 it's good for -84°F. Stronger concentrations than that do nothing.

So how much do I take out ...put back in without taking it all out and starting from scratch ?

Do you know how to make anti freeze?

Hide her night gown... LOL!

Typically you mix anti freeze 50/50 with water. they do sell some already mixed.

If you don't have enough concentration of anti freeze, you would have to drain some out and add some straight anti freeze to it to lower the freezing point.

If you don't want to replace all of your antifreeze, you can get an antifreeze tester, find out what your current mixture is, and adjust as necessary, e.g.: if your mixture is not enough, you can drain some and then fill with straight antifreeze, run the car until the thermostat opens up, and then check it again once the car has cooled down.

Drain the rad,, put in a gal of antifreeze,, burp it, top it up with what you drained,, you'll find that fairly close...

Drain the rad,, put in a gal of antifreeze,, burp it, top it up with what you drained,, you'll find that fairly close...

I drain out a gallon of water then put in a gallon of antifreeze.
Kind of the same thing in a way.

You should never just run straight anti-freeze. It doesn't protect from freezing & must be diluted with water. Also it becomes acidic & eats away at the cooling system & engine block. Unless you are faced with sub-zero temps a good 50/50 mix is fine.

If it was straight water and assuming the cooling system is about 16 litres, that would mean you would need 8 litres to get -40C. Now you have some in there , but to be safe I would drain 8 litres out and put 2 jugs in. You dont want to screw around with this as picking the frost plugs off the ground will be the least of your worries!

50-50 is the "standard."

You can buy testers, they are essentially a hydrometer just like the age old battery ones, except calibrated for glycol. you can get some pretty cheap ones, the accuracy is in question

be careful buying it. I recently got screwed at the local store. ask the girl for concentrate, and I sure that's what she thought she sold.

only difference i could see is concentrate says so in little letters about 1/8" high on the front. "pre mix" does not go out of the way to tell you

i'd install a block heater and a dipstick heater also.

but where i grew up sometimes even that is not enough. i've seen it so cold that nobody in the neighborhood could even turn the engine over, the oil became like a hard mass. i remember once we had to use little sterno cans under the oil pans to thaw them out so they would start lol. it was like -40F

i'd install a block heater and a dipstick heater also.

but where i grew up sometimes even that is not enough. i've seen it so cold that nobody in the neighborhood could even turn the engine over, the oil became like a hard mass. i remember once we had to use little sterno cans under the oil pans to thaw them out so they would start lol. it was like -40F

We used to do the fire under the oil pan on our machinery somtimes just to get them started.
It sucks when it's that cold.

i'd install a block heater and a dipstick heater also

If you run a block heater, I recommend using a timer. They tend to run the electric bill up a bit.... #-o

Don't ask me how I found out.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Pre Mix has always been the norm around here in Texas butttttt its getting colder and colder each year, got down to 18 ish last year and Im a member of the better safe than sorry crowd so I shoot for about a 60/40 mix. I fill with the 50/50 pre mix then top off with straight. My DD stays in the garage while at home and 8-9 hours on the parking lot at work, usually facing west so that nasty north wind dont hit it in the front.

If it was straight water and assuming the cooling system is about 16 litres, that would mean you would need 8 litres to get -40C. Now you have some in there , but to be safe I would drain 8 litres out and put 2 jugs in. You dont want to screw around with this as picking the frost plugs off the ground will be the least of your worries!

Beed there and done that...even without any water in the block !!~

I bought my MGbgt from Alberta...it had 2 block heaters !

@ 2 winters ago, we had neg 30s w/o the windchill but the coldest place I have ever lived was Ottawa..it is a wet cold...we had a car heater that clicked on about 4:30 in the morning..we we got into the car at 7, the seats would be like plywood..

I have a tester..new concentrate antifreeze and a day w/o snow...what more could I ask for :)

Thanks all..I tell you how mush I added..

Ian

Do you know how to make anti freeze?

Hide her night gown... LOL!

Typically you mix anti freeze 50/50 with water. they do sell some already mixed.

If you don't have enough concentration of anti freeze, you would have to drain some out and add some straight anti freeze to it to lower the freezing point.

Now that's hysterical!!

The award goes to zkx14 ..I put in a little over 6 qts...thank goodness I got another gallon before I started..

Thanks

-
Back