Is this 318 with 727 worth it

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
I found a seller on Craiglist with a 318/727 combo out of an early 80's motor home...he says it is low miles and was well taken care of. If so is there any difference between what would be ran in a motor home and a car? Tranny have heavy duty clutches? Higher compression? Seems to me they would have ran a 360 but I am not that familiar with motor homes...
Thanks for the info in advance

They are asking $300.00 ...and I didnt even think about the tailshaft...I will have to ask....I am asking everyone because I was leary about it anyway since it is out of a motorhome...just thought since tranny was included it was a sweet deal...there are a couple more deals in my area without tranny that I have been looking at....I just want a ready to drop engine while I build my 360 the way I want it....

I got a 360/727 combo out of a motor home for 300 and it had a short tail shaft, but it had the 4 pin planetary. Since the 727 i previously had was junk we used the planetary out of the motor home in the rebuild

Nice move n the tranny parts 72.

The 318 in the motor home is no different than a car or truck engine. Double checking the trans tail is a good idea.

Most smal blocks in motorhomes in front of 727s were 360s. If you can go see it, look at the harmonic balancer and see if it has an extra nonconcentric weight immediately behind the crank pulley or a big notch cut out of it. either way and it's a 360. Might be possible the owner doesn't know what he has. Happens all the time.

Well I talked to the guy today and he told me it has around 90,000 miles on it...to me thats high mileage....and he has no way to load it into my truck....he didnt sound knowledgeable about it at all...so I am kinda turned off of it..plus its close to 6 hour round trip there and back....hate to drive there and find its not what I expected...

Well I talked to the guy today and he told me it has around 90,000 miles on it...to me thats high mileage....and he has no way to load it into my truck....he didnt sound knowledgeable about it at all...so I am kinda turned off of it..plus its close to 6 hour round trip there and back....hate to drive there and find its not what I expected...

318's are easy to come by. Move on. Better to find one that is running in a car. A lot of guys post these for sale when they are ready to do an engine swap and they are driveable before the swap, so you know what you are getting.

Good luck.

Well I found an even better deal...a 360 out of a street rod for $400.00...with less than 3000 miles on it....has great compression and is ready to drop in...guy was very knowledgable and forthright..although no tranny with it I will manage to find one soon.

-
Back