Is this '72 Duster 340 worth the price

-
I emailed that guy a few weeks ago to see if he would be interested in trading for my 71 Demon 340. I don't remember what exactly he said, but it was something like he was downsizing and didn't need another car. It's a nice looking car.

Did ALL 72 340 Dusters come with sharktooth grilles, or was it an option, like the scoops, etc?

ALL 71 & 72 340 Dusters were factory equipped with the "Sharkstooth" grill.....looks like it may be worth the money from first glance....however, they are some great deals out there if you look a lil harder...........:yawinkle:

Alot depends on if its an h-code car. The grille is 70. The seats are 73. Steering wheel ?
Wrong shroud. We all could pick it apart. There are alot of things that I would change, but all in all, from the looks of it a great starting point.
But what exactly is it ? All kinds of questions with this car.
If its an H code car it is priced in the ballpark. Put ten or eleven thousand under his nose and watch it sell.

Not to pick at details but the rad looks incorrect as well. It is wider than the opening.

Not sure if your stuck on Demons or Dusters only but ran across this today while looking for parts. The 72 Dart at the very bottom looks like it could be a good deal. Not a lot of details but 1/2 the price. ????? http://www.herbsparts.com/cars.asp

wrong seats, steering wheel, grill, missing exhaust tips, shouldnt have the spoiler, wrong aircleaner, chrome, valvecover, master cyl. cover after market coil ect. Lots of little stuff that will add up tp a lot of cash "if" you want a correct car.

Certainly nice looking though.

Based on what I see and what things cost I think it's in the ballpark. If I were doing it I'd try for 13k but depending on how bad you want a car 800 is nothing.I saw that the air cleaner was wrong for the car? Heck, sell it and get the cheaper correct one :}
It's very presentable the way it is. Go for it.

have to go over the car a lot closer then those pics allow. whats under the paint? whats the paint and body look like up close? whats the frame and floors look like? way too many questions that the pics don't answer. as stated already there are a ton of incorrect parts on the car. to me at that price your paying for a correct car. if your not worried about originally and numbers matching i would look for one thats a little cheaper and just as incorrect.

no, 340 cars from 72 did not have the s.t grille. only the twister had it!.

for the money, that car looks like a steal, and in no way could you build that clean of a car for close to that price. if i had money to throw, i would be throwing it right at the owner of that fine specimen.lol
Sorry Joe, I have to say your wrong. 1972 340 Dusters had the Sharktooth grille.Just not the Ralley Dash!

Is there a fender tag?
Whats the original color.
Is it originally a 3 or 4 speed??

Very important items that make a big $$$$$$ difference.

Well I don't have the car yet oneofmany :) As far as the fender tag goes its gone and so is the build sheet so original color would be a mystery as well as a bunch of other options or lack there of

Is it even a real H code car?
Are those 70-71 fenders on it? Looks like the recessed marker.
Air cleaner is a 70-71 model ($$), 72 has a single snorkel.
Engine should be blue from factory, though I prefer orange.

Lots wrong with it from an originality standpoint.

Pretty strong money for that car IMO.

I agree................. Just putting in the correct bucket seats, if you can find a set could cost big $$$ but it looks pretty good. Offer him 8k and sit by the phone, he WILL call..... :happy7:

Id say it looks like its worth it but is it really what she wants? My mom wanted a camaro, got a nice 87 Iroc 5 speed, and never drives it because its a stick. id take that duster in a heartbeat though, good price.

I still own the '72 Duster I bought in 1972 and, ALL, repeat all, 1972 Dusters came with a sharks tooth grill as did the Twister.

Just a few differences noted: The exhaust tips are wrong. The engine compartment has a lot of differences from the original one in a 1972. The exhaust tips are not original. The upholstery is not original '72 bucket seats. Air Cleaner is supposed to be orange with one snorkel.

A fifth digit in the VIN being a "K" denotes a 360ci, it would have to be a "H" to have been a 340ci car.

offer 8 if the answer is no you just saved 5K. nicer, better Dust pans out there. MHO PM badlilred, he may have something nicer and less expensive

-
Back