Is this a big block K-member? W/ pics of motor/mounts?

-

68vert

Reaction score
The vert I bought was a i6 car but was told the k had been changed.
I'll breath easier if I knew for sure. Took a chance when I bought it not knowing A- bodies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 622
Post a picture...

Close up of the motor mount perches.

Thanks, not sure I like the odds.... I was hoping you could tell by the pic.
I'll get closer ones Monday.
What should I be looking for?
I thought the double slotted driver side holes were what I was looking for.
Guess not .... So much to learn.... So many family interruptions... Lol

Sorry , had posted pic in original post. Don't know what happened to it.
Can well tell now ?

If the picture above is the k-frame in question The answer is yes it is for a big block, By the look of the idler arm it is from a 67.

Great.., thanks
That's what I was hoping for.
Will my 1970 - 440 drop in or do I need a kit from Schumacher ?

You don't need the 440 mount. The 383 mount will work, as long as you have the bosses in the front that you can drill out and tap.

Ill take pics of the mounts on the 383 that came out of car. It has a weird looking motor mount bracket on it to make it off center with the other side.

The 383 mount (metal part) was the same as mid-60s C-body. 440s did not have the same bosses on the front of the engine so a different mount was required.

Attachments

• M-code engine.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 373
Hey Jim, what was different about the bosses on 383 vs 440? A few years ago we put a 76 440 in my friends 65 sport fury using 65 361 mounts - the bosses were there on the block, we just drilled and tapped them.

My 440 bolted right in using 383 mounts in my 69 383-S.

Here are pics of the 383 that came out of the vert with the k- member in the first pic.
What kind of mount is this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 319
This is the 440 I'm needing to put in.
Do I have to drill out the bosses or is there a kit from Schumacher I can use?
Or is a different K member I need?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 329
68vert, that 440 block does not have the bosses required cast into it to drill and tap. As was said - you could sell that K frame to the correct restoration crowd, and put in any 73 and up spool mount frame with schumacher conversion mounts, or a 72 and down frame with conversion mounts, or build your own.....many options.

Attachments

• 65c-6769abosses.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Dave
But Crap:banghead:
I was hoping that my 440 was going to just plug and play with just some special motor mounts. That's the main reason I even bought the vert.
I could just rebuild the 383 that came in the car, may just be easier than trying to figure all this new stuff out #-o

Whats the easiest and simplest route to go in your opinion?

What is a "73 and up spool mount frame "? price?

" 72 and down frame with conversion mounts, ...... "
This I can do with the K member I have already right? Is it hard to do?

73 - 76 A bodies used spool type engine mounts. They are a superior mount to the biscuit style that you currently have as they do not separate and fail. 73-76 A bodies also generally have 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns for the wheels (many more wheel choices) and disc brakes. If you were to find a 73-76 parts car with disc brakes you could transplant the whole front suspension, get disc brakes, better engine mounts and get rid of the poorly designed 67 only idler are mount. this is all, of course, if you are not restoring a numbers matching bigblock car and you are not too concerned with originality (I think you said your car was a 6cyl originally?). To bolt the 440 (or any big block) to one of these K frames you can buy conversion mounts from Schumacher (uses the mount ears found on all blocks). There are 2 different K frames for 73-76, 6 cyl and V8. Schumacher makes mounts for both. Additionally, you could recoup a decent sum of money by selling off that original 67 (quite rare) K frame and engine mounts.

Or option #2 - keep what you have and find a 383, 400 or 440 that has the bosses - some of them do - think, 400 with 440 crankshaft = 452 if I remember right.

Or option #3 - fabricate some kind of adapter, if possible, to pick up on those two lower bosses near the oil pump, I dont know how well this would work,

Or option #4 - sell the whole deal to me, LOL

"Or option #4 - sell the whole deal to me, LOL"

Don't think those are not my first thoughts !!!!!!!
I was really needing an easy project......I should have know better.....
Ive been playing with cars for years....Im suppose to be working on my 42 Plymouth club coupe.... That's were the 440 was going until I decided it was not worth the extra work and effort to put it into....going to go 340.

Tim,

Give me a call, i think You have my phone number.

I have a spool mount A body K frame with the spool motor mounts that I have already converted to the Direct Connection configuration.

Herb

Thanks Herb,
Glad you called. Made me breath easier. Looking forward to meeting with you.
Thanks again!!!

I still need to drill and Tap my bottom hole. anyone know how far you can drill in?

No, sorry. If one of the is already tapped perhaps go to the same depth? Perhaps someone who has a block can measure the depth of theirs. You in cairns? Just up in port Moresby myself.

-
Back