is this a good combination or am i looking for trouble

-

canner78

canner78
Reaction score
i`m kinda new to this. i`m building my first mopar. do you think this is a good combination. are there any things you would change. i have 1974 318 block. i am going with the 318 swirl port 302 heads ( i measured them and they are 58 cc) and the keith black Hypereutectic, Flat Top pistons that give me a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. holley 4160 750cfm carb, edelbrock rpm air gap intake. comp cams extream energy cam Duration 284/296, Lift .507/.510 Valve Springs, Dual, 1.437 in. Outside Diameter, 409 lbs./in. Rate, 1.050 in and full lengh headers. i plan on buying a stall and 3.91 gears. will this all work well together or will i have issues. thanks for your time.

This combination will work fine and sound great but if you intend on driving this on the street then you may want a smaller cam profile as this is fairly large for the 318 and street use. Everything else sounds good and should work well.

drop down to the 274xe cam that is 274/286* and .488/.491 lift. much better for a 318. the other one is a bit too big for the street on that motor.

If this is a street car, is he going to be able to get by with that 10.3 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas?

Yes he should be able to as the heads are a quench type and help to stop detonation, and with those pistons he should be close to 0 deck, then run the mopar thin gaskets and he should have a fairly strong 318 I would say about 300+ to the ground and over 400HP out of the engine.

Run the timing as high as you can up to 30* after this timing becomes a HP loss with the quench type heads. This is a total timing figure not initial timing figure and set it at 2500 rpm's for best results.

on another posting that i started people are saying that i cant use my 58 cc heads with the thin gaskets and the keith black pistons. they say it is not enough piston to head clearance and that i have to use the fel-pro .043 head gaskets. what do you think?

You're going to get a stall? Be careful if you get one in Minneapolis and tap your foot! Or do you need a place to keep your horse?

Wait, I bet you mean you plan to get a TORQUE CONVERTER with a STALL RPM appropriate for your combination. That would be a good idea, plenty of good converter shops out there.

Pet peeve to be sure, but calling parts by their correct names will make it easier to get good service when you deal with suppliers.

Unless you are running the 340/360 heads the rpm air-gap would be unnessary.They also cost more.

The regular performer probably would be a better match.

on another posting that i started people are saying that i cant use my 58 cc heads with the thin gaskets and the keith black pistons. they say it is not enough piston to head clearance and that i have to use the fel-pro .043 head gaskets. what do you think?

As I said in a earilier post that the pistons should be close to 0 deck this is something that you'll have to look at when you install the pistons, if they are below deck then the thin gaskets should be OK, but you'll have to measure the deck height after the 1st piston is installed as blocks are all very different and so are the deck heights. This is part of engine assembly and making decisions or adjustments as you see problems and as they arise.

You're going to get a stall? Be careful if you get one in Minneapolis and tap your foot! Or do you need a place to keep your horse?

Wait, I bet you mean you plan to get a TORQUE CONVERTER with a STALL RPM appropriate for your combination. That would be a good idea, plenty of good converter shops out there.

Pet peeve to be sure, but calling parts by their correct names will make it easier to get good service when you deal with suppliers.

I'd say about 98.9% of us know what a stall is so that is short for TORQUE CONVERTER with a STALL RPM. And I bet if you called a supplier and asked for a stall converter he would know exactly what you was talking about. Instead of being a *** why not just try to help the fellow out would you?

Jack,
It's not my car,but I'm the crew chief on it and I do all the head work.
The car belongs to Andre Pegues, I've known him about a year as he heard about me from another racer that I did work for.
The car has a 526 CI engine KB with AJPE heads, he also has another car a blowen alcohol dragster that I hope to be driving next year and we've been talking about going to injected nitro on it.
We'll be at the division 2 race in a a couple of weeks at Commerce,Ga. with this car.
He wants me to put together my fuel engine and put it in the dragster, but it's 496 CI and will have to be destroked to about 430-440 CI to compete in Top Alcohol Dragster and maybe less with injected nitro.
We went to crossville,Tn. a few months ago and the car ran .978 60' and then rattled the tires at mid track due to track and clutch settings. We just were too aggressive on the tune up.
Were making some changes so we'll have to wait and see what happens at Commerce, if the track will hold it then we should be able to make some nice runs, were hopeing for some 5.60's to 5.80's and 245 - 260 MPH this should get us in the 8 car field.

I think it's a great combo, but I agree on the smaller RPM intake. The cam choice is fine. I've found goiung much smaller with that high a static even with the chambers and good quench, you may have detonation issues. The MP thin gasket is .028 compressed. It's a little tight. With a steel rod, small bore, and hyper type piston, might be ok...But...I'd suggest the Fel Pro Permatorque blue gasket. It's .043 compressed, and with 0 deck is perfect. Depending on gearing I might also suggest a smaller carb, and Vacuum secondary.

I'd look at some headwork, a light porting at least with some better valves than OE to wake the heads and power up, Proper stall speed for the converter. ( Thius is where I talk to pros)
(Easy there Mullinax, I think it was more of a joke on the cheifs behalf.)
The 3.91 with a tire not more than 28 diameter. (hich is tall IMO, I'd look at 27 -26 inchs myself.)
A smaller cam, 1 step down is about what I would also do.

thanks everyone with your advise i have decided that i am going to go with the swirl port 302 heads ( i measured them and they are 58 cc) and the keith black Hypereutectic, Flat Top pistons that give me a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. but i am going to buy the fel-pro head gaskets holley 4160 750cfm carb, edelbrock performer rpm intake. comp cams extream energy cam 274/286* and .488/.491 lift Valve Springs, Dual, 1.437 in. Outside Diameter, 409 lbs./in. Rate, 1.050 in and full lengh headers. a torque converter with a 2000 stall and 3.55 gears. i am looking forward to ordering my parts this week. this should really wake up my 318. thanks guys!!!

Thats starting to look like a really good combo.

-
Back