is this a good price for W2's/will it work for my combo

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
hey guys,

im eyeing a set of assembled W2 heads that are brand new for 850 bucks...the part number is P5007089 and they are 55cc chambers with 2.02 int and 1.60 exh valves...just wondering if these heads would work with my 340 which has flat top pistons (as far as i know, and currently running closed chamber x heads) and 10.5:1 compression....i dont plan on putting them on right away, but i was thinking of grabbing them since the deal seems pretty good...what do you guys think? are they worth it? would they work with my combo? i have no idea what the 55cc chambers mean for performance, so any help would be great!

THanks!
Matthew

Can you come up with rocker arms for 'em? They're pretty spendy from what few sources are left......

I had an offer on some W2,s complete with Jesel rockers for $1650(which is cheap)but I had just purchased the Eddy RPM,s.With the W2,s you have to swap intakes and I believe you would need atleast 1 7/8 headers for them to perform properly.Don,t know how well they,d work with flat tops.

How far do your pistons extend beyond the deck surface? You could have an interference problem with those small combustion chambers.

Can you come up with rocker arms for 'em? They're pretty spendy from what few sources are left......

i dont know much about W2's and never knew there was a limited rocker arm selection...what brands are still making them (besides mopar) and how much am i looking at?

How far do your pistons extend beyond the deck surface? You could have an interference problem with those small combustion chambers.

im not sure, id have to check that out actually...assuming they are above deck height, i would say no higher than an oem 340 piston, but i could be wrong...what does chamber size do in terms of dictating power levels and piston styles?

i dont know much about W2's and never knew there was a limited rocker arm selection...what brands are still making them (besides mopar) and how much am i looking at?

The W-2 rocker arms use a off set arm and one regular arm, same as the 340 T/A head. Most everybody carries them. Crane left overs if possible, Comp, Huges, Harland Sharp, etc....

I quickly found these Harland Sharp Rockers. There top notch brand name units. Also, remember, the W-2 came in versions that have rocker arm pedistals for a quick and easy rocker arm mounting and one without rocker stands so you can correct the geometry.

These are pricey units;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70026WEK/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70025W2K/

im not sure, id have to check that out actually...assuming they are above deck height, i would say no higher than an oem 340 piston, but i could be wrong...what does chamber size do in terms of dictating power levels and piston styles?

The smaller chamber would be a (very) closed chamber vs the open natural state of a X J etc.. 340/360 head. The differnce is 72 vs. 55 cc's. Use this difference in a compresion cal. and whatch comprsion jump. It is often said that 1 point rise is approx. 3%. Of course, the huskier build will develop more power as a milder build willl (IMO) not gain as much from the rise from the extra squezze.

The W-2 rocker arms use a off set arm and one regular arm, same as the 340 T/A head. Most everybody carries them. Crane left overs if possible, Comp, Huges, Harland Sharp, etc....

I quickly found these Harland Sharp Rockers. There top notch brand name units. Also, remember, the W-2 came in versions that have rocker arm pedistals for a quick and easy rocker arm mounting and one without rocker stands so you can correct the geometry.

These are pricey units;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70026WEK/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70025W2K/

The smaller chamber would be a (very) closed chamber vs the open natural state of a X J etc.. 340/360 head. The differnce is 72 vs. 55 cc's. Use this difference in a compresion cal. and whatch comprsion jump. It is often said that 1 point rise is approx. 3%. Of course, the huskier build will develop more power as a milder build willl (IMO) not gain as much from the rise from the extra squezze.

wow those rockers are expensive! LOL you guys werent kidding (good to know we think alike here in terms of prices lol)...rumble, thanks for the info on chamber sizes...im getting the idea that these probable arent the heads for me (atleast not in this chamber size)

I know a guy that is using a set of W2 Econo heads on a 340 but his 340 is a 73 so the pistons are lower in the hole than yours. They work real good on it. He didn't do any port work and is running a mild/moderate street cam and it runs 12.80's. Cometic, as well as a few other brands sell different thickness gaskets so it should be fairly easy to make them work with your pistons that are out of the hole. Like everything else do all your homework before committing to buy so you have a good idea what the total cost will be. Oh yeah one more thing worth mentioning is the intake. I don't know if all W2 heads use a different bolt pattern but I know some do so they require a different intake.

They all require a oval port intake and Mopar, Edelbrock and if you can actuallly find a Offy, LOL are the only ones that have the oval port....OH, wait, INDY does as well. Almost forgot.

YES! The W-2 is expensive to set up. The head (Bare) itself is cheap -ish. Under $550 a head. I never understood why there so expensive and moPar touts them hevay and loud.

Not for nothin, but the time you purchase a junkyard set, X, J etc... you can port them out and have them redone cheaper than it would to set up a W2 head. And you wouldn't have the expensive valve train set up. Even the econo's were pricey vs. standard heads.
Of course, theres also a intake change price.

Screw that!

Ok ok ok, if I was racing for money..... it would be different. However, for the performance gain, it's a bit pricey still IMO for this. Remember, it's a bare head that needs EVERYTHING! And then an intake.

I'm sorry, but, is that trip really really needed?

If the price was competitive to an Edel. head from the start.....
The flow similar OOTB.

ta and w2 rockers are different..the w2 has more offset then the ta

Ah, thank you. I sit corrected.

Do you know what the offsets are and/or how many variations there are to these heads?

if i was home i could take some pictures...but currently working in reno nevada...wont be home until this weekend.

i do have cast iron rockers and aluminum roller rockers for race w2 heads along with a set of econo rocker setup...along with the ta set up too

the race and econo rockers are the same..

as far as the w2 rockers...only the intakes are different..you can basically use any exhaust rocker....

I still have mine for sale. I can do a package either as they sit or ready to run. You need special head bolts (like RPMs) too. I have an intake, head assemblies, stands, sintered iron rockers, and head bolts. They also require special headers.

hey guys, i appreciate the insight!

Fishy68 thanks for the advice! im not sure what chamber size would work with my setup, so thats something i would have to look into. I am also aware that i need to change intake manifolds and headers as well (another added cost to these heads)

Rumble, what your saying makes perfect sense, these buggers are damn expensive when its all said and done! LOL the only real way id think of going W2 is if i found a set for a good price in hopefully complete condition that someone really needs to unload badly since setting up the valvetrain gear as well as changing intakes and headers isnt exactly cheap...the thing is im not really even sure what a "god price" is for these heads assembled, which is why i was asking you guys

Moper, im not sure how much your asking for that stuff, so if you want to pm me you can...not gonna lie though, im cheap and broke and knowing what these heads and there setup is worth i dont want to lowball you...let me know what kinda money you are looking for and we can deal maybe

thanks to all!

Weren't there versions of the W2 heads available for both 59 and 48 degree tappet bores? I may be thinking of something else.

Weren't there versions of the W2 heads available for both 59 and 48 degree tappet bores? I may be thinking of something else.

Yes, you are correct. There still for sale in both versions. At one point, there was to many for me to keep up on. Long valve versions in race and econo, new ribbed units, the list got legthy and there was no clear description for me to read up on.

Rumble, what your saying makes perfect sense, these buggers are damn expensive when its all said and done! LOL the only real way id think of going W2 is if i found a set for a good price in hopefully complete condition that someone really needs to unload badly since setting up the valvetrain gear as well as changing intakes and headers isnt exactly cheap...the thing is im not really even sure what a "god price" is for these heads assembled, which is why i was asking you guys

Don't get me wrong about the heads though. They'll smoke any production head. That's a no brainer. But the brain(er) part comes in when it's time to part with the cash. If your willing to put that kind of money into a engine on the street, well, GOD bless ya. I know some people do. I just can't......yet.

Going brand spankin new has it's benny's as well. Your not really worry about the last port job. If it's over kill or any good at all.

Yes, you are correct. There still for sale in both versions. At one point, there was to many for me to keep up on. Long valve versions in race and econo, new ribbed units, the list got legthy and there was no clear description for me to read up on.

Don't get me wrong about the heads though. They'll smoke any production head. That's a no brainer. But the brain(er) part comes in when it's time to part with the cash. If your willing to put that kind of money into a engine on the street, well, GOD bless ya. I know some people do. I just can't......yet.

Going brand spankin new has it's benny's as well. Your not really worry about the last port job. If it's over kill or any good at all.

i agree with you rumble...like i said used i would, but not new...i think im getting ahead of myself though (as usual...what else is new)...if anyone is interested in w2 setup though, moper has a nice set for a good deal (someone i wouldnt hesitate to deal with when buying something like this)...check em out!

Oh yes, Mopers heads (W2's) are real nice and a good deal.

wow those rockers are expensive! LOL you guys werent kidding (good to know we think alike here in terms of prices lol)...rumble, thanks for the info on chamber sizes...im getting the idea that these probable arent the heads for me (atleast not in this chamber size)
i thought the small chambers used oil through pushrod t&ds only

-
Back