Is this a must? So stupid of me!

-

71swing

Reaction score
So stupid of me!

Hey guys. Currently coming up on the finish line of my 408 stroker build. Was hoping to drop it back into the car this weekend pending forecast. I was just in the garage cleaning up a little and came across the picture below. The motor had been out of the car for nearly a year. So putting it back together I some how past over putting this back in. Motor is all buttoned up, but if it is very much need I of course will have to take it all back apart. Disassembly of the motor was so long ago I can not be surprise it was missed, but I am also puzzled as to why it wasnt with all the other parts. It could have gotten miss placed when I was going through problems as to which block I was going to use and pickup all the old stuff from the speed shop.

It looks to be a oil scraper/spacer for the timing gear on the crack end. Is this needed? do I need to take it all back apart to slide this back on.

Attachments

• 484733_621630341183631_132171810_n.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 548
  • motor.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 534
I think that the factory stopped using them after a certain time. You are correct, it goes behind the timing cover, between the crank timing chain gear and is held in place by the harmonic balancer. It is supposed to throw oil off the gear, away from the front main. Honestly, you are probably just fine without it. Sweet looking engine BTW. Sure looks like not enough clearance between the pushrods and their holes in the heads....have you checked them for clearance through the pushrods range of motion as the valves open and close?

Thanks guys. Maybe I should have done a search on the subject first. Just got finished up with that and the opinions seams about 50/50. And there seems to be alot that state they never had one as well. Makes me feel better, wasnt looking forward to taking it all back apart.

I think that the factory stopped using them after a certain time. You are correct, it goes behind the timing cover, between the crank timing chain gear and is held in place by the harmonic balancer. It is supposed to throw oil off the gear, away from the front main. Honestly, you are probably just fine without it. Sweet looking engine BTW. Sure looks like not enough clearance between the pushrods and their holes in the heads....have you checked them for clearance through the pushrods range of motion as the valves open and close?

Yeah, Ive checked it out over and over. Came across a thread a while back that raised my suspicions about it. They were on the car before I stroked it. I always had a slight tick coming from the rocker area. So when I had it apart this was one thing I checked out. It is very tight on the holes but I can't see any contact, and I went over the rods and heads and they show no signs of contact either.

Somerime along the way they added a drip leg beside the timing chain . That could be when they deleted the slinger.

It's certainly easier and cleaner to do it now. But some think it's not necessary. I always run them but that's me.

Lucky that's the only thing you had left over. I had a small box of stuff that never made it back onto my motor.

It not only keeps the oil off the front seal. It helps oil the chain. I know everyone has there own opinion but I always use them on street motors. I also leave out the top passenger side cam bolt and add the dripper. These systems are there for a reason. It gives the chain a longer life with mileage.

Drag motors it is not needed. A quick burst of the throttle in gear the chain gets oiled when decelerating. Also on on high lift roller motors use all 4 cam bolts do to no rearward pressure on cam from standard flat tap lifters pulling the cam against the cam plate.

When using a roller cam it is best to try and eliminate some cam movement with shims. This helps take the cross pressure off the lifters and adds to there life. With flat tappet cams the gear rides on the front of the plate and usually never touches the back side of the plate do to front side lifter rotation pushing the cam rearward.

I would install the slinger on a street motor. But you can save it and install it when replacing your chain when it loosens up from insufficient oiling. It was there for a reason. You only need three lugs to hold your wheels on but I am sure you used Five.

Play it safe take it back apart. Also get a dripper unless its a roller cam then leave the 4 bolts and install the drilled bolt in the upper passenger hole .

Ma mopar only did what was absolutely needed. It's there for a reason and much easier to do it now IMHO.

Ha. I went through the same thing. Put my engine together and installed it in the car. Then I found the oil slinger on my work bench....Needless to say, I don't have one in my engine...oh well. 3000 miles later, no noticeable problems or leaks. LOL

Next engine will have it though...

I would bet money this has more to do with keeping oil off the seal under hard braking than it does chain oiling. I accidently left it out of the 318 when I swapped cams--first time I've done that, and made the decision to AFI. Well the engine DOES get a little greasy, but then lots of them did and do. So I just don't know.

NEXT time I have an engine apart, I won't be forgetting it.

Interesting......when I was assembling my motor with the double roller timing chain, if I remember correctly, it interfered with the thicker chain links of the double roller chain and I know it would've rattled and probably grinded and chipped its way into oblivion. I had to leave it off.

The slinger doesn't look like much but does serve a purpose. It sends a steam of oil upward and onto the timing chain. If it had fins like an impeller it would airate the oil and eventually sling only foam.

I had a factory motor maybe 1978? it did not have one. It did have the dribble leg thing though. If you have the little dribble leg in there I would not lose any sleep over it.

I had a factory motor maybe 1978? it did not have one. It did have the dribble leg thing though. If you have the little dribble leg in there I would not lose any sleep over it.

Yeah, I don’t think I will. I do have the "dribble leg" on it. I will let it fly as is for now. If I have problems I will resurrect this thread from the dead to what happened. I have no doubt that it may have had a purposed. But working with engineers all day you learn that their ideas don’t always go or work like they dreamed them up to do. They may have had this great idea of what it would have done, and then realized it didn’t quite do what they thought later maybe that’s why the later cars don’t have them.

Ford and Chevy don't use them without any problems. I will keep an eye on it and if it causes me any problems I will certainly let everyone know.

Thank guys

-
Back