is this a purple cam?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
Hi, I'm switching the intake on my 360 and with the old intake off I noticed a pink/purple colour on the front of the cam shaft? The previous owner thought it was a Direct connection RV cam (whatever that is) but he wasn't sure on the specs.

Could this be a Mopar Purple cam or do all cams come with a color on them? It is only painted purple between the first 4 cam lobes. It is a solid cam but it isn't very lopey. It runs 20 inches of vacuum at idle LOL, still runs like a beast though.

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 531
anything I should look for? are there numbers anywhere to check? I can only see stamping of "BO" near the back of the camshaft (near the timing gear)

I'm not sure where they mark them. Maybe Strockerscamp, Pishta, or Crackedback can tell us.

Uh... guys?? This is your cue....

Ya, it's very likey one of direct connecton's purple cam shafts. As they run in an engine for a while, the purple color starts to wear off from the hot oil. I have owned several different ones over the years, but am now trying my first lunnati cam.

Could be a purple.

Without taking it out... degree wheel and dial indicator would tell you exactly what it is.

Purple shaft is a generic name for all the mopar performance cams.

All my brand new Mopar cams are purple just like that....I say yes it is...I've never heard of a rv cam that was purple however

That's about the only way I know.....degree wheel. Rob, I don't remember.....do the purple shafts have numbers on them? I don't remember any of mine ever having numbers of any kind.

i have two mopar 508 small blocks cams...no purple on them

i have a couple of hughes solid lifter cams...have purple on them...

your guess is good as anyone elses...do as Crackedback says...degree wheel and dial indicator

i have two mopar 508 small blocks cams...no purple on them

i have a couple of hughes solid lifter cams...have purple on them...

your guess is good as anyone elses...do as Crackedback says...degree wheel and dial indicator

Damn LOL, just read this after I typed the previous post. Maybe I'll have to go get a degree wheel and dial indicator then :)

if you pull it out or partially pull it out you can use calipers on it. measure the lobe base circle ( and then measure the highest part of the lobe subtract the difference. then multiply by the rocker ratio (stock)1.5 and that number will give you lift. then go to the Mopar performance (direct connection) camshaft profiles and match up the lift with known shafts

if it doesn't sound to aggressive but is a solid DC Cam it might likely be a Mopar Performance P4120653AC it is 284/.528

if it doesn't sound to aggressive but is a solid DC Cam it might likely be a Mopar Performance P4120653AC it is 284/.528

That's what I thought it would be. I think it is the mildest of the solid DC cams. Still a strong runner though... look forward to seeing what the intake swap will do for the seat of the pants feel LOL

All it means is that it was ground using a Mopar cam core. So, yes, it could be a purple cam. However, it could also be a Lunati cam, as all 3 of the ones I've bought have the exact same purple markings. Or a Hughes cam, or etc, etc.

Even if it IS a mopar performance purple cam, you'd still have to measure it to figure out which one. There are several different grinds, with a wide range of performance levels.

When I was talking to Comp Cams about the new cam we put in dads 273, they put the ID #s on the back end of the cam.....tech couldnt answer me why, seems stupid but thats where comp puts them

When I was talking to Comp Cams about the new cam we put in dads 273, they put the ID #s on the back end of the cam.....tech couldnt answer me why, seems stupid but thats where comp puts them

They put them there because it a safe area and there should be no wear.

Do you need any breakdown of the numbers? Send me a PM with them if you do.

That's what my money's on. It's a VERY mild solid flat tappet but makes a ton of torque for it's size.

mine had a lot more purple on it..

pictures004.jpg

-
Back