mopardrt

Reaction score
what ram rearend is this?

Attachments

• 3ma3Jd3Na5N35M75J8d2p0b8084155ba4188c.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 512
attachment.php

i think it's a 9 1/4

do you have any numbers from it? there is usually a couple numbers, one usually on the axle tube somewhere and they are usually hard to read you might have to spray some brakecleen on the spot in order to read it

how reliable are those rear ends? thats for sale right now with a suregrip 175.00

how reliable are those rear ends? thats for sale right now with a suregrip 175.00

I've had two in Ram 1500's. One behind a Mag 318 5spd & one behind a Mag 360 auto. Never had a issue, but didn't put many miles on either. There has been some bad stories floating around over the years though. I think it would be better then a 7.25 if that was your only option, but in a performance application, you'd probably be better off looking elsewhere. jmo.

I used to beat on one in a 84 short box with 39.5" Super Swampers on it..........4.56 gears, limited slip. Never had an issue with them. Have had 4 other 1/2 dodge trucks with them and never had an issue with them either. Just watch that limited slip on black ice - it's not a lot of fune!!!!

It is a good rear, check the pin nut isn't loose

This is what dodge had lawsuits over because pinion nuts back off of 9.25's in the 1500 Rams from the mid 2000's and up....Just look it over and you should be good. better yet, get a 9.25 from a Dakota and you won't have to narrow it at all to make it fit in an A-body! Most came with 3.92's and sure grip!

This is what dodge had lawsuits over because pinion nuts back off of 9.25's in the 1500 Rams from the mid 2000's and up....Just look it over and you should be good. better yet, get a 9.25 from a Dakota and you won't have to narrow it at all to make it fit in an A-body! Most came with 3.92's and sure grip!

What Dakota has a rearend anywhere close to being as narrow as an A-body? I have a 02 Dak with the 9.25 and it's a bunch wider than an a-body rearend. Been a while since I measured it so I don't remember just how much but I know it's at least 4" wider, maybe 6. I also had a 93 Dak and it was a bunch wider than an A-body rear too. You say most came with 3.92 sure grips? I've never even seen 1 with a 3.92 sure grip. All I've seen were 3.55 peg legs. The 3.92 gear and sure grip were options. The 3.55 open was standard.

I have a 2000 Dakota with a 9.25. I have 208K miles on it without any problems. It has 3.92 gears and a sure-grip but they were optional equipment so I had to select them when I ordered the truck. It is definitely wider than an A-body

What Dakota has a rearend anywhere close to being as narrow as an A-body? I have a 02 Dak with the 9.25 and it's a bunch wider than an a-body rearend. Been a while since I measured it so I don't remember just how much but I know it's at least 4" wider, maybe 6. I also had a 93 Dak and it was a bunch wider than an A-body rear too. You say most came with 3.92 sure grips? I've never even seen 1 with a 3.92 sure grip. All I've seen were 3.55 peg legs. The 3.92 gear and sure grip were options. The 3.55 open was standard.

I guess I needed to be more clear with my post, my apologies. ALL, EVERY SINGLE DAKOTA R/T came with a 9.25 with 3.92's AND sure grip. A Factory A-body rear end is approximately 52 5/8" (according to moparts). B-bodys ranged from 53 1/4"-59 7/16" (http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html) so even the B-body's flange to flange measurement can be "up to" about 7" wider...if a dakota is only 6" wider, max, it wouldn't be any worse than a B-body swap. Mine was definitley a bit wide but with a trim on the fender well and an appropriately offset wheel, it was by no means an impossible swap. The bad news is all Dakota's after 91 I believe went to the 6-bolt pattern which sucks so new axles would be in order...Hope this clarifies some, my apologies for not being specific:eek:ops:

I have a 2000 Dakota with a 9.25. I have 208K miles on it without any problems. It has 3.92 gears and a sure-grip but they were optional equipment so I had to select them when I ordered the truck. It is definitely wider than an A-body

That's a bunch of miles, these Dak's are tuff! Mine's at 161,*** right now and still on the original tranny:cheers: (5.2/44RE). What motor you have under the hood? 2000 was the best year for QC's imo as you could get the sweet 5.9 that year!

Before I ordered the truck I studied anything I could find about it. For some strange reason the only way you could get a 360 in an extended cab was to buy an R/T, which were 2wd. I wanted 4wd, so I ended up with a 4.7, the only V8 they offered. 318s in Dakotas were discontinued after 99, replaced by 4.7s. BUT, you could get a Quadcab with a 360, in either 2wd or 4wd. Go figure.

It's been a good truck, have had very little trouble with it. The 4.7 has done better than I expected at car trailer towing, although I'm sure the 3.92 gears help. The engine uses virtually no oil between oil changes done every 3K miles. It's been a far cry from the 74 B-300 van I bought new which was a major POS assembly-wise. The 318 in it used a quart every 1200 miles, by 80K it using so much oil I had to pull it and go thru it.

Gary

I've seen several of them in trucks and never saw one go bad yet. A buddy of mine had a 90 1/2 ton Ram that had the 9-1/4 and we put a slightly hopped up Cummins diesel in it and he raced it a little and pulled a scrap trailer with it. It held up to the brute torque of the Cummins and the rearend had nearly 200,000 miles on it when we dropped in the Cummins. $175 is a good price even if you have to narrow it which you will have to do if it's from a Ram cause their about a foot wider than an A-body rear.

-
Back