Is this a scam Help needed

-

siuauto

Reaction score
I need some advice here. I was selling an intake on Craigslist and this guy bought it from me and said he is sending a certified bank check. He sends me a text and says"once you receive the check, you are to visit your bank and have the check deposited and you will be withdrawing the mover funds out and you are to head to any money gram around you and have the money transfer to the mover here is the mover name and address to sending the money to". Then he sends me a name, Austin Texas and zip but no address. I texted him back what the hell was this and said he sent me the funds for the shipping and this guy will be by to pick it but I need to send him the money. I have never seen anything like that before. Any advice on what I should do?

That's actually a REALLY old scam, and I can hardly believe people don't know all about it already.
I guess that's why they still try it.:D

Good point...

What happens is you get the check (or whatever) and put it in your account then send him his money.
Then your bank finds that the payment he sent you is invalid and your bank comes back on you for it.
There are other things that happen here and there, but this is the basics of it.

Yep, don't deposit the check or you'll get a $30 returned check fee.

What is wrong with people that don't see the flags in this scam??????

Yep, don't deposit the check or you'll get a $30 returned check fee.

What is wrong with people that don't see the flags in this scam??????

Likely they are used to people's word being worth a ****.
I have noticed over the years that people in certain geographical locations are a bit more trusting than others probably because the quality of people they have lived around.
Georgia outback for example, if a guy says he'll give you your money on Friday then come hell or high water you will get your money on Friday.
New York, CA, FLA, not so much.
It's not cut and dried like that obviously, but the general trend is there.
Same way with language, as a guy in CA is way more used to bad language around the house, and in front of women for example.

I had a tractor pto winch on Craigslist. And got a email I will send a check and a little extra you can cash it and send the extra to my shippers address. I thought OK scammer I will play along send the check. 3 days later a UPS truck pulls up with a cardboard envelope I open it up and inside a nice Wells Fargo certified check. I take it to my local bank and they ask do you want to cash it? I said no I want you to check and see if it is legit they said ok we will call when we find out. When I got back home the bank already left a message that it was bogus. The buyer emailed the next day and said I see you got the check. I figured I would play along for a while so I said yes I got it and will take it to the bank tomorrow. Then later the next day I got a email I see you cashed my check please send the extra out today. So I waited until the next day and emailed back. Your check was bogus the bank says its fraud now I want you to send me $200.00 In cash or Im turning you over to the FBI. That was the last I herd from him. The good it cost him the ups charge and the manufacture of a check.I sold the pto to a guy passing by that seen it for sale a couple days later

Likely they are used to people's word being worth a ****.
I have noticed over the years that people in certain geographical locations are a bit more trusting than others probably because the quality of people they have lived around.
Georgia outback for example, if a guy says he'll give you your money on Friday then come hell or high water you will get your money on Friday.
New York, CA, FLA, not so much.
It's not cut and dried like that obviously, but the general trend is there.
Same way with language, as a guy in CA is way more used to bad language around the house, and in front of women for example.

That's it. I am from a small town and grew up trusting people because they weren't trying to screw you over. I told him the deal is off and I will not be cashing his check and if he want it back I will mail it to him.

Anyway, looks like I have a stock 360 intake and carb for sale again so look for me in the classified section.

If they can't even drive to a meeting spot with cash and meet you face to face it's a frickin scam. My only response to them would have been FLUCK OFF

If they can't even drive to a meeting spot with cash and meet you face to face it's a frickin scam. My only response to them would have been FLUCK OFF
I Canada we put an O in there instead of the U, And then we say "why don't you make like a flock of seagulls, and fly off"

keep your parts , and throw his money back at him . never deal with any extra cash to be returned or you pay his shipper , thats his deal not yours . hope your not out anything but time , lets be clear never do this with anyone , even friends ! funds and people can be trouble . always keep it simple , cash n carry is best .

That's about what I told him.
dont waste the stamp mailing it back.
thanks everyone!!! I appreciate your feedback and saved me time and money. You all are great!!!

If they can't even drive to a ( meeting spot with cash and meet you face to face) it's a frickin scam. My only response to them would have been FLUCK OFF
I`ve always considered my self not real gullable. but I learned this the hard way.

-
Back