Is this chape really so rare and does anyone know about it?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello, everybody. I've been wondering for a while why my wagon project is different from the others. If that's true...

As you can see, the windows at the back are different and the rear is not the same, but steeper.
The car is a 65 from Switzerland and was also produced here. The Swiss Valiants are exactly the same as the American ones, except that they are called Chrysler instead of Plymouth. But they have nothing in common with the Austalians. Everything is always the same except the radiators, seat covers and window glasses (only the glasses themselves). These parts are always swiss made.

Through the Fender tag decoder I found out that there is Wagon High and Wagon Low. Mine is Wagon High. Is it because of this? Has anyone ever seen one of them and knows all about these?
IMG-20190928-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20190928-WA0019.jpg
IMG_20191019_174800.jpg
IMG_20191019_222034.jpg

The "high" and "low" refers to plain (V-100) or deluxe (V-200) trim, not to any physical aspect of the car.

This is not a standard wagon—it reminds me a little of the funerary car (hearse) conversions to Spanish Dodge Dart wagons, but this looks more like some kind of a special delivery or service vehicle.

Given the great difficulty of making such modifications after the car was built, it was most likely built by special order at AMAG, the Swiss builder of Valiants at that time.

Interesting car! Will you show us more pictures of the unusual back end of it?

Last edited:
The "high" and "low" refers to plain (V-100) or deluxe (V-200) trim, not to any physical aspect of the car.

This is not a standard wagon—it reminds me a little of the funerary car (hearse) conversions to Spanish Dodge Dart wagons, but this looks more like some kind of a special delivery or service vehicle.

Given the great difficulty of making such modifications after the car was built, it was most likely built by special order at AMAG, the Swiss builder of Valiants at that time.

Interesting car! Will you show us more pictures of the unusual back end of it?
Thanks a lot, Dan. I'll see if there's anything left in their files.
I'll take pictures of the trunk next week. But here are already some more pictures:
IMG_20190914_132421.jpg
IMG_20190928_105241.jpg
IMG_20191118_181205.jpg
IMG_20191128_110426.jpg
IMG-20191112-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20190928-WA0013.jpg

Is it possible that the Swiss glassmaker couldn't (likely because of cost) produce the curved glass? It would be a lot cheaper to modify the metal at the rear corner, and produce a piece of flat glass to fill the rest of the hole. There couldn't have been that many Mopar wagons sold in Switzerland, they only produced a few thousand here...

I don't think that's it. The Swiss-built cars were equipped with (curved) windshields and sedan backglasses—either made locally or sent over from North America as part of the KD kit. That is almost certainly how the wagon glass was handled, too.

-
Back