Is this legal ?

-
Only legal if with the car. If I'm not mistaken, once the vin tag is removed or tampered with, it might not even be valid.

It's fraud, out and out illegal. Stay the hell away from people and deals like these.

It's only illegal if it is misrepresnted. Having said that, I agree with Dartnut, stay away from these deals. VIN tags can be removed,and replaced back to their original body, but they still must match the other VIN stampings. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

It would be if you got the sheetmetal stampings....bogus, but legal. How are things in the valley?

Actually sunny today..I fear my fingers and toes are starting to web..and what is with all this wind..too bizarre.

i thought after MX, we would be bored...i think we are running faster but w/o the rig behind the truck. :)

ian

Not sure about illegal. Seller is selling memorabilia, not saying what the buyer can do with it. Wrong would be to fabricate a car around the paperwork, most likely.

Would make a great wall hanging in the garage, but I don't think I'd pay much for it.

.............Any1 that buys that is not looking 4 memoirabilia..............yes it is illegal 2 sell vins..............kim.....

Depends on the the laws where you live. In Washington State it is completely legal to sell vin tags and titles. Go to any swap meet and you will find some. It is also legal to install them as long as the State Patrol knows about it and is involved in it. The State just assigns that VIN to the car you are putting it on. Of course the State checks the car that you are putting it on to see if it is not stolen and you can confirm that you own it.

I could purchase that stuff from that guy. I take that stuff and my Duster I own in my name to the State Patrol and tell them I want to scap the current VIN on my car and assign the new one. They will do this in the States sytem as long as all paper work is in order.

Were the law gets broken is if I try to pass the car off as the real McCoy. This now is fraud.

Chuck

I like how everything is reproduction. Sounds like a made to suit fender tag.

...I suspect he knew he was in the wrong and maybe s/he is a lurker on the board.

I asked about the car..he said it was too rusty..I said it didn't matter to me..there is always something valuable you can scrounge..e wouldn't even let me take a look..guess what that means.. :)

It is legal to sale. The catch is what you do with it when you have it and that is different as to where you live. Think about the camaro and mustang people that buy the "new" 1968 cars made from new body suppliers. They buy a rust bucket with good paperwork just for the numbers. In fact the state of Georgia do not require titles on older cars.

If not many of the new super slick camaros would be show or track only.

Whip

In Ontario, all you need is paperwork, and a bag of rust. Too bad that someone will buy it, and use the papers on a 270 or something.

-
Back