is this legal?

-
Right. Not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a million dollar plus home. I think sometimes people forget there are those not as fortunate. Who knows why it's there? They may well be helping someone get back on their feet. I don't think I would be too quick to hang them.
Right on Brother

On a serious note, go offer them some groceries.

Around here we’re busting at the seams, too many people, not enough housing.

It depends on the HOA if you have one.
I parked around back with my small motor home after a trip, and ran the ac to air it out
For a few days. The HOA called code enforcement and said some people were livin in there.

I agree, I was just pointing out the krazy chit that passes for laws.
I wanted to be clear about my thoughts on squatters. The ones I mentioned earlier that cost my friend thousands are professional squatters. They know and use the laws very well and in their favor. They go through life using and abusing well-meaning folks. These 'people' know that no one wants to deal with lawyers and engage in a process that takes dollars, and months to years to work. And that is during a non-covid time when there are no restrictions on evictions. This is what my friend got in return when he tried to help someone out.

But it was my friend's fault for trusting strangers. He's done this before, gotten burned every time, and keeps repeating the same mistake. This time, he allowed a man and woman to move in with a verbal contract of 'working the property' and 'helping with utilities', until they found a home to buy. At first they kept their end of the bargain. After they reneged, and my pal found out the guy hadn't worked for years and the woman was married and separated (not legally), their wasn't a damn thing he could do, short of a lawyer. There was gate access to the dwelling on the adjacent property and by law, he wasn't allowed to lock his own gate. This was during the eviction restriction time, and even with a written contract and a lawyer, it would have been almost impossible to get rid of the squatters. What a harsh freaking life lesson.

I wanted to be clear about my thoughts on squatters. The ones I mentioned earlier that cost my friend thousands are professional squatters. They know and use the laws very well and in their favor. They go through life using and abusing well-meaning folks. These 'people' know that no one wants to deal with lawyers and engage in a process that takes dollars, and months to years to work. And that is during a non-covid time when there are no restrictions on evictions. This is what my friend got in return when he tried to help someone out.

But it was my friend's fault for trusting strangers. He's done this before, gotten burned every time, and keeps repeating the same mistake. This time, he allowed a man and woman to move in with a verbal contract of 'working the property' and 'helping with utilities', until they found a home to buy. At first they kept their end of the bargain. After they reneged, and my pal found out the guy hadn't worked for years and the woman was married and separated (not legally), their wasn't a damn thing he could do, short of a lawyer. There was gate access to the dwelling on the adjacent property and by law, he wasn't allowed to lock his own gate. This was during the eviction restriction time, and even with a written contract and a lawyer, it would have been almost impossible to get rid of the squatters. What a harsh freaking life lesson.
Florida has an Infestation of young squatters, their parents send them to treatment in Florida, they skip out and go live off somebody else’s land..

we have a friend that had a barn in back of their property, found some people living there. Asked them to leave and they would not, so she pulled the extension cord that powered their **** out of her exterior wall plug. They called the cops and they showed up, assessed the situation and told her to plug them back in. She said nope, "I dont have an extension cord that long". They told her to get one! She said nope, BTW that plug doesn't even work (she disabled it and all the exterior plugs on her house. With no power, the squatters left within the week. She still doesn't know how on 4 flat tires ;-) It was an eye opening experience to whomever doesnt know squatters rights and how that even became a right in todays times.
PS>> I deal with cops, firemen and lawyers all the time, and none of them respect my easement rights to my phone lines. WTH? I usually just pull their jumper in the cross box and wait for their trouble call to access the common terminal in their backyard. Thats F'd up but that's the only way I can get back there sometimes.

It depends on the HOA if you have one.
I parked around back with my small motor home after a trip, and ran the ac to air it out
For a few days. The HOA called code enforcement and said some people were livin in there.
That's asinine, what were they afraid to stop by and talk to Ya?

-
Back