Is this oil pressure ok?

-
Here specs from my factory 69 manual. I gotta say I never saw this before like Rusty said. Altho it doesnt give IDLE spec specifically it does spec 500 rpm and 1000 rpm. Looks like all sb for 69 are minimum 20 psi. I'll chk 67 manual also
What post #2 says. I've never in my LIFE seen a spec given at idle. NEVER. That manual up there ^^^^ is the first time I've ever seen an idle spec and yours is WAY over that. If there's enough pressure to keep the light out, or push the needle up as high as yours, you're good. The spec is almost always given at 2000 RPM. You need not concern yourself with any other spec. Stop worrying about a problem you do not have.

20201015_143646.jpg

20201015_143700.jpg

And the 1975 manual shows the same as the 73 with 8 psi at idle.
16028137076592927121486745632002.jpg

16028135747684586877734362128914.jpg

The 1997 manual says 6 PSI for the 5.2.

16028142654526323170451021492543.jpg

16028141395177645208227922407828.jpg

The 5.9 also says 6 PSI minimum

16028144492434165933746847073784.jpg

Last edited:
New oil pump, right...what type? Is the gauge mechanical or electrical (is oil pressure routed to it or a wire from a sending unit)?

Sorry for not getting back to thi sooner, well so i took it out for a cruise and it still at idle is at the same oil pressure.....The pressure has been the same at idle, when i give it some more rpm it does raise up but then tops out at around 75 or so. It is a electric gauge and i have wondered if it is inaccurate. I got sidetracked with some things so i didnt get to check with my oil pressure kit or do the oil change. I do have 10w40 and 20w50, so i can choose which one to go with. hopefully on my next day off i can do some more and see if there is a difference. Now i am a bit worried about what you guys posted about at oil pressure at idle as it seems like its all over the place but im also going to say thats after warming up? Are electric gauges as accurate as mechanical?

I think with pressures, on electrical gauges the sending unit may come into question also as well as the gauge?
Personally I chose mech over elec.

75 is the max it sould be able to pump.

Yes to be checked with the oil hot.

Change the oil.

What was the pressure at 1000 rpm?

Sorry for not getting back to thi sooner, well so i took it out for a cruise and it still at idle is at the same oil pressure.....The pressure has been the same at idle, when i give it some more rpm it does raise up but then tops out at around 75 or so. It is a electric gauge and i have wondered if it is inaccurate. I got sidetracked with some things so i didnt get to check with my oil pressure kit or do the oil change. I do have 10w40 and 20w50, so i can choose which one to go with. hopefully on my next day off i can do some more and see if there is a difference. Now i am a bit worried about what you guys posted about at oil pressure at idle as it seems like its all over the place but im also going to say thats after warming up? Are electric gauges as accurate as mechanical?
Quality electric gauges can be accurate, they should be checked against a knowen good mechanical gauge. Where is the sending unit for the electric gauge installed?

75 is the max it sould be able to pump.

Yes to be checked with the oil hot.

Change the oil.

What was the pressure at 1000 rpm?
At 1000 I want to say it's at about 30psi I'm not at home but Im pretty sure that's what it was, it rises right away with anyrpm given to it

Quality electric gauges can be accurate, they should be checked against a knowen good mechanical gauge. Where is the sending unit for the electric gauge installed?
The sending unit is installed next to the distributor, I have had it for a few years as well and at one point accidently had wires backwards on it, but it still managed to work which is weird. Also it's a marshall gauge? Are those any good? Debating on buying a mechanical stewart warner or auto meter

The sending unit is installed next to the distributor, I have had it for a few years as well and at one point accidently had wires backwards on it, but it still managed to work which is weird. Also it's a marshall gauge? Are those any good? Debating on buying a mechanical stewart warner or auto meter
Dont know of Marshall gauges
I have had good performance with SW
I mentioned before your next step is to check the accuracy of your current set up.

If you're showing 30 lb at 1000 RPM I don't see where you're having much of a problem.
Set your idle at 800 and see what you have. That cam you have needs more than 500rpm at idle.

If you're showing 30 lb at 1000 RPM I don't see where you're having much of a problem.
Set your idle at 800 and see what you have. That cam you have needs more than 500rpm at idle.

I guess my next question is. Are you purposely trying to have a lobe go flat on that camshaft?

Last edited:
I guess my next question is. Are you purposely trying to have a lobe go flat on that camshaft?
What do you mean by that? Honestly I don't know what you mean? I have it set right now to 750 rpm idle

What do you mean by that? Honestly I don't know what you mean? I have it set right now to 750 rpm idle
Forgive me for answering
Camshaft lobes are splash lubricated, the lower the rpm the less the splash.
This is way you do a cam break in at higher rpm's

Last edited:
Forgive me for answering
Camshaft lobes are splash lubricated, the lower the rpm the less the splash.
This way you do a cam break in at higher rpm's
I never knew about that or at least thought about it, I even have a valley pan in it to

I never had a oil pressure issue until i put a oil gauge on. lol Gotta love that paranoia. Your fine
as long as it rises like stated your good to roll!!!

I'm shocked the manuals list such low oil pressures? My 01 5.9L Ram runs 30-35lbs at idle and that's with 200K.
When my 72 Charger had low oil pressure at idle (it was about 8lbs) I had spun a crank bearing on a very worn out engine.

If you say this engine is rebuilt, I would think you'd have much higher idle pressure. I'm assuming you installed new bearings all the way through that is.

Full rebuild with new bearings, when i assembled it the rotating shortblock was super hard to rotate as all my clearances were .0015 and it took about 60 ft lbs to rotate. I then called scat and they advised a little more clearance, so i bought bearings with .0005 extra clearance and then it rotated a little easier

Alright fellas here we go! So I opted to buy a stewart warner mechanical guage and the results are better from what I can tell. So at my idle in gear I'm looking at exactly 20-22psi. When it's on the warmer side in traffic it might hit 18-19 but I only saw that once. How's that sound guys. Here is a picture of it at 170° idle

Not to happy I scratched my dash plate but that's the least of my worries when I'm trying to solve a more crucial concern. Also had to switch the guages due to the oil line hitting the steering column support

PXL_20201031_004733096.jpg

That's better, but it was fine before. As a lot of us said.

-
Back