Is this possible?

-

ImperialCruiser

Reaction score
Can the early cast iron, short Ball and Trunion assembly be used with the aluminum OD 4-speed? Would the output shaft and cast iron housing properly bo:jocolor:lt to the OD case? I'm trying to use the stock driveshaft in my 64 Valiant. The early cast iron 4-speed fit fine. I have an OD trans and would rather graft the two into one than mess with the drive shaft. (I know, but I'm odd that way.)

I'd go with getting another driveshaft to match the O.D. transmission. I doubt you can graft those transmission anyway but even if you could, those ball and trunion joints are a piece of junk IMO.

I don't remember the details, but I have heard that you can use 4wd parts to make the ball/trunion set up a little stronger? I wish I could remember where I heard that. I think it could probably be done, I'd call Passion Performance and get Jamies opinion. I've heard he knows his stuff.

http://www.passonperformance.com/

I want to keep the shifter in the same location, and the OD trans I have moves it forward or rearward. If an A-body tailshaft and housing works with the OD then I'm ok. I'll dig through my parts. THANKS

no you can't do it , the spot on the mainshaft for 3rd gear in the ball and trunnion trans is bigger than the gear that needs to go on it from the OD trans, you'll have to change the driveshaft if you want to use the OD trans .

-
Back