Is This Shifter Linkage Correct??

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
Alright folks, yesterday my dad and I tried mocking up the 727 transmission in the duster to see if the new floor shifter was properly placed before we welded it permanently to the floor. Well after getting the transmission underneath, we figured out where the brace went to the transmission from the shifter shaft as shown below, but are not sure if something is wrong with our linkage set up for the 727.
2512266669_dcf817a9b3.jpg
Notice that if you follow toward the bottom of the picture you are actually going toward the front of the car and the top of the picture is the rear of the car !!

Now, what I would like to know is, are the linkage setup differently between the 904 and 727 transmission. Because the car we got the console/shifter off of had a 904 in it that it was linked to. Now that we have a 727, would we have to get linkage specifically for it?
2513094660_e621874d21.jpg

Next question I have for you... Which one of these linkage and rods are we suppose to use. They were both inside the box that the guy stuffed everything into that he took out of the car (including the shifter).
2512267095_4d207cb3a2.jpg

2512267125_53f3476137.jpg

From the looks of this linkage, we suspected that this came off of a column shift car because it looks just like the one we took of my duster. There was an extra 904 transmission in the trunk of the car and it might of came off of there and they stuck it inside the box for some reason.. who knows??
2513094750_e91f6aced3.jpg

Thank you all for any help you can provide for us !!

Once upon a time I swapped a 360/727 from a '71 Sport Suburban into a '76 Volare with a cracked 318/904. The floor shift linkage in the Volare bolted up and worked fine with the 727 as did the 318/904 kickdown linkage. The mount location and linkage locations are the same from 904 to 727. Can't tell from your pictures if there is any difference between your linkage rods, but I suspect that the first one is a kickdown link since it has the tab for a return spring stamped in it. Usually see that on the carburetor end of the kickdown linkage. Looks like the forward half of the bellcrank kickdown linkage to me. The last picture in your post is column shift cross shaft linkage. Hope this helps.

So I'm guessing from what you said that neither of these are for the floor shifter ?? Another question, just to make sure. When swapping from a 904 to a 727, on the transmission mount bracket that connects to the cross frame, are you suppose to flip the bracket 180 degrees since the 727 is longer? My dad seems to remember that he has heard that multiple times, but we needed to confirm it !

Nope, rear mount location is the same exactly. Shift linkage and kickdown are interchangeable as well.

Alright, well.... does anyone have a picture, or can get a picture of the missing piece that we are in need of ?? I'm assuming when the previous owner took apart the shifter set up, he misplaced the linkage. So if anyone has the connecting rod from the shifter to the shift lever on the transmission that would be very helpful !! Thanks again

-
Back