Is this the correct hardware for pin style calipers?

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi again FABO. Having trouble assembling a pair of pin style calipers reported by seller from a 73 Challenger. The pins I have look the same as for a 70-72 caliper not 73. The pins I have are 5 1/4 inches long and will not screw into caliper mounting bracket. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this setup? I know the pins in the pic are bent but do not have pic of the straight pins I used attempting assembly. The pins in second pic are new and advertised for 70-72 calipers. Thanks for any help you can provide.

20240927_112242.jpg

20240927_114054.jpg

The pins look the same regardless of year. They will all be the same length, so that doesn't help. If the threaded section is a different thread size/pitch that will be almost impossible to tell in a picture.

You will need to measure the size/pitch of the threads for both the caliper brackets and the pins to figure out what's going on.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I absolutely used 70-72 calipers with 73+ caliper brackets on my Challenger. At this point I don't recall if there was a model year associated with the pins I used, I don't believe I bought them new so they may have been different than they were represented as.

Do you have pictures of your caliper brackets? They're 50+ year old parts, so it's possible someone damaged the threads, or rethreaded them, or who knows what at this point.

After you check the threads. Take the calipers off and see if they will thread in there.

The pins look the same regardless of year. They will all be the same length, so that doesn't help. If the threaded section is a different thread size/pitch that will be almost impossible to tell in a picture.

You will need to measure the size/pitch of the threads for both the caliper brackets and the pins to figure out what's going on.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I absolutely used 70-72 calipers with 73+ caliper brackets on my Challenger. At this point I don't recall if there was a model year associated with the pins I used, I don't believe I bought them new so they may have been different than they were represented as.

Do you have pictures of your caliper brackets? They're 50+ year old parts, so it's possible someone damaged the threads, or rethreaded them, or who knows what at this point.
So ,as in your case, if the pins were from a 73 as well as bracket the 70-72 caliper can be used. Thus my pins, as stated earlier, do not match the bracket so bracket is incorrect or the pins. Threads are not stripped. Have tried both good pins in brackets.

20240927_155337[1].jpg

20240927_155358[1].jpg

So ,as in your case, if the pins were from a 73 as well as bracket the 70-72 caliper can be used. Thus my pins, as stated earlier, do not match the bracket so bracket is incorrect or the pins. Threads are not stripped. Have tried both good pins in brackets.

View attachment 1716308748

View attachment 1716308749

Well that's definitely true, I know for a fact the 70-72 calipers can be used with a 73+ caliper bracket because the 11.75" caliper brackets weren't around for 70-72, they're like 76-79. But there's a pretty good chance I reused the pins I had too, I just can't remember because I did that swap like 15 years ago. I do not recall having to search out new pins with a different diameter thread though, and that's the kind of detail I usually remember.

What you NEED to do is figure out the thread size/pitch for the caliper brackets you have. Because quite frankly I can't tell from your pictures if the threads are any good, and I definitely couldn't tell you if they've been re-threaded at some point.

The '70-72 pins are listed at 3/8-24, so perhaps you can confirm what your caliper brackets are?

Well that's definitely true, I know for a fact the 70-72 calipers can be used with a 73+ caliper bracket because the 11.75" caliper brackets weren't around for 70-72, they're like 76-79. But there's a pretty good chance I reused the pins I had too, I just can't remember because I did that swap like 15 years ago. I do not recall having to search out new pins with a different diameter thread though, and that's the kind of detail I usually remember.

What you NEED to do is figure out the thread size/pitch for the caliper brackets you have. Because quite frankly I can't tell from your pictures if the threads are any good, and I definitely couldn't tell you if they've been re-threaded at some point.

The '70-72 pins are listed at 3/8-24, so perhaps you can confirm what your caliper brackets are?
This is what we call "bag of worms". I can confirm the thread pitch; no problem. It's just the pins for 73 are not available per my searching. Thanks for your comments and appreciate the help.

This is what we call "bag of worms". I can confirm the thread pitch; no problem. It's just the pins for 73 are not available per my searching. Thanks for your comments and appreciate the help.

Right, but it doesn’t matter, you still have to figure out what you have, because it may not be right regardless of the year.

And to that end, I remembered that I have a ‘73 C-body spindle and brake caliper bracket set up, because it’s a 1 year only deal for C body brake conversions. And I have the pins, which are the same as the B/E body pins.

And I can confirm they are the same exact 3/8-24 that the 70-72 pins are advertised as.

Which leave us with, what threads do your caliper brackets have?

Right, but it doesn’t matter, you still have to figure out what you have, because it may not be right regardless of the year.

And to that end, I remembered that I have a ‘73 C-body spindle and brake caliper bracket set up, because it’s a 1 year only deal for C body brake conversions. And I have the pins, which are the same as the B/E body pins.

And I can confirm they are the same exact 3/8-24 that the 70-72 pins are advertised as.

Which leave us with, what threads do your caliper brackets have?
Just confirmed bracket is 3/8-24 thread pitch. So based on what your telling me, 70-72 pins will work.

All the pins were the same thread originally.

There are two different looking ones, but form fit and function the same.

70-71's originally have a smaller hex on them

1727477614832.png

72 up larger hex

1727477557051.png

I believe if you order a common parts store rock auto type kit you get the larger hex one. Those don't strip the on your socket head as easy.

I'm curious as to how you confirmed 3/8-24? You need an sae tap and die set and somebody who knows how to use it to save your new pins with a die and debur the brkt threads with a tap. If something won't screw together by hand at least a few threads, something is wrong. Anybody with an older car should have a bench grinder with a wire wheel to clean threads, a tap and die set, and a jar of copper anti-seize for most hardware.

Never buy a tap and die set that has the sizes embossed in the taps. Middle of the road price sets are fine then when the taps wear out, replace those individually with high quality taps.

Last edited:
Just confirmed bracket is 3/8-24 thread pitch. So based on what your telling me, 70-72 pins will work.
Here you go, straight from Ma Mopar. This part number decodes to the 73+ B/E body guide pin package. It clearly says the pins can be used on the earlier cars, as long as you use the supplied later bushings and use them with the later brake packages.

73+guidepins.jpg

It says
"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
FRONT WHEEL DISC BRAKE CALIPER GUIDE PIN
PACKAGE NO. 3744 477

When using the enclosed caliper guide pins on 1972 and prior model vehicles the new double flange (spool type) inner bushings (also included) must be used in place of the single flange inner bushings previously used. New slotted type shoe and lining assemblies must also be used when using this caliper guide pin package. The bailwire anti rattle springs, caliper guide pin positioners, and single flange inner bushings are no longer required when using this package and may be discarded"

More than likely the brake pads now work with either style if it was ever an issue to begin with. Kind of like how the "70-72" guide pins that are available now have larger heads on them than the actual '70-72 guide pins. And of course different sources list different year ranges for those guide pins.

If you're really hung up on it, the above picture is from an active eBay listing for the caliper pins so you can buy that set if you'd like. I enhanced the picture a bit so the text was easier to read, but the seller has a complete set of 4.

NOS Mopar 1970-78 B+E-Body Caliper Pins | eBay

Regardless, the thread size/pitch is the same on all of them

Last edited:
All the pins were the same thread originally.

There are two different looking ones, but form fit and function the same.

70-71's originally have a smaller hex on them

View attachment 1716308785

72 up larger hex

View attachment 1716308784

I believe if you order a common parts store rock auto type kit you get the larger hex one. Those don't strip the on your socket head as easy.
Great information. I have no idea what all the other hardware is. Was not included.

I'm curious as to how you confirmed 3/8-24? You need an sae tap and die set and somebody who knows how to use it to save your new pins with a die and debur the brkt threads with a tap. If something won't screw together by hand at least a few threads, something is wrong. Anybody with an older car should have a bench grinder with a wire wheel to clean threads, a tap and die set, and a jar of copper anti-seize for most hardware.

Never buy a tap and die set that has the sizes embossed in the taps. Middle of the road price sets are fine then when the taps wear out, replace those individually with high quality taps.
Confirmed with tap. Pins are not new.

Here you go, straight from Ma Mopar. This part number decodes to the 73+ B/E body guide pin package. It clearly says the pins can be used on the earlier cars, as long as you use the supplied later bushings and use them with the later brake packages.

View attachment 1716308843

It says
"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
FRONT WHEEL DISC BRAKE CALIPER GUIDE PIN
PACKAGE NO. 3744 477

When using the enclosed caliper guide pins on 1972 and prior model vehicles the new double flange (spool type) inner bushings (also included) must be used in place of the single flange inner bushings previously used. New slotted type shoe and lining assemblies must also be used when using this caliper guide pin package. The bailwire anti rattle springs, caliper guide pin positioners, and single flange inner bushings are no longer required when using this package and may be discarded"

More than likely the brake pads now work with either style if it was ever an issue to begin with. Kind of like how the "70-72" guide pins that are available now have larger heads on them than the actual '70-72 guide pins. And of course different sources list different year ranges for those guide pins.

If you're really hung up on it, the above picture is from an active eBay listing for the caliper pins so you can buy that set if you'd like. I enhanced the picture a bit so the text was easier to read, but the seller has a complete set of 4.

NOS Mopar 1970-78 B+E-Body Caliper Pins | eBay

Regardless, the thread size/pitch is the same on all of them
Don't know where you found it or how but glad you did. Many thanks. Did not know anything about the hardware for I have none of it and, if I understand correctly, don't need it.

-
Back