Is this timing or a bad carb?

-

71demonology

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 in my 71 demon. It hadn't been running in probably 16 years when i got it and wouldn't start. Anyways after a new starter, new dist cap, spark plugs, wires, battery and radiator hoses, the thing tried carnking over with no sounds of knocking/griniding/ ugly stuff. It wasn't getting gas to the carb, so i replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. Now keep in mind this is my first rebuild, and it took a few tries to get it back together, but i am really confident i have it set up right. HOlding the choke open and giving it a bit of gas it spays like it should. anyways, whithout the vaccum advance hooked up it spits and dies at me. My air cleaner had the advance hoses hooked to it, (Holley 1920 BTW) i ended up having to take the hoses off the air cleaner and run one directly from the carb to the advance thing mounted on the engine. from what i can tell it gets vaccum at all times.

Lets see if i can make this rambling make sense.

The car starts and idles fine now. ( I rock, as his is my first play car :notworth: ) I can't give it any gas though. Any time i try revving it it starts spitting and dies at me. I can give it gradual gas and it will increase in RPMS, but as soon as i let off the gas, it dies. I am at a loss. There are 2 spots on the carb to hook up the vaccum advance. I am not exactly sure which one should be hooked. I have it on the one that hold idle better. The only thing I can think of is timing. Any Thoughts?

Before doing any adjustments on the carb ,the timing needs to be set to spec and the total timing checked to make sure the vacunm advance and mechanical advance works correctly.Then you can set the carb with a vacunm guage hooked up and set the mixture screws,idle and fast idle.Get a vacunm guage and check the reading and post it,low vacunm is a sign of timing being to late,Mrmopartech

i would look to the plug wires.
sometimes they can get out of order when you
change the cap.
make sure your rotor button and cap are
properly indexed on their aligning studs.
if you have a book, check your plug wire routing
and firing order.
set your timing per the manual.
if that doesn't fix it let us know and we'll
get you to the next step.
does your car have points or an electronic ignition?

its a points car and i did just get the chilton manual for it. I am going to go check it out now.

ok i went out there and made sure that the wires were set right. I went as far as to get it lined up and made sure 1 was pointed at by the rotor. I don't have a timing light, so I am going to have to wait till wed or thur for a buddy to come over and help me out. I will keep it updated thanks for the responses.

Make sure the points are set right, in fact, after so many years setting, I would slip a new set of points and condensor in. It could be a lot of things -- one of which is the points are off and not allowing the ignition coil to saturate and build enough voltage to fire the plugs with any load on them. Good luck.

Brian

Thanx I am heading to kragen for a set of points and a rotor button today.

-
Back