Is this toast?

-

'66Cuda

Reaction score
So is this a crack or score mark that didn't come out with the final overbore of .060? Is this toast, along with me?

Attachments

• 20150318_132135.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 20150318_132201.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 20150318_132227.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 20150318_132252.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 267
Looks like a scratch from the rings, or a piece of trash. That's not a great looking bore though, is that supposed to be fresh?

It is just a score mark.

You are talking about the cylinder wall right (I see what appears to be a crack in the piston, but that could be a hair or something picture)? Can you feel it with your finger nail and/or does it catch on your finger nail when you scratch at it?

For what its worth, my current engine (410 stroker) has worse looking cylinders thanks to what I thought was some crappy machine shop work....I initially freaked out, took the block back to them, they looked it over and said it was fine....So, I reluctantly took it back home, asked a few folks their opinion on the situation, and finally decided to continue to built my motor. Turns out it really was just fine, the engine runs REALLY hard, better than expected with no issues at all.

Thanks. The motor is supposed to be 3k-4k miles on a .060 over rebuild, but it was rebuilt in 2001ish. So, it has not been driven much at all over the last 15 years. It was sold to me as a good running motor, and I have no reason to believe otherwise yet. The stuff on the pistons is just casting marks, etc. I know it's hard to tell from the photo. Sometimes I think I can feel something with my finger tip on the cylinder wall, but it won't catch a fingernail. A couple of the other cylinders had them too, though not as bad. I am putting a cam and some ported J heads on it, and just didn't want to waste my time and money. Thanks again!

JT

That looks about right for the mileage. People think heavy cross hatch should remain and it just ain't so. The cylinders and rings wear to match each other. That's where the seal comes from. Heavy cross hatch is correct for only newly build engines to promote good and fast ring break in. Once broken in, the cylinders get glazed, which is fine because the surface matches the rings.

That looks about right for the mileage. People think heavy cross hatch should remain and it just ain't so. The cylinders and rings wear to match each other. That's where the seal comes from. Heavy cross hatch is correct for only newly build engines to promote good and fast ring break in. Once broken in, the cylinders get glazed, which is fine because the surface matches the rings.

Good to know...Thanks RRR

-
Back