Isle of Man TT

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Now this here is BADASS.....!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3MFLwlsEg&feature=player_detailpage"]Insane Risks Motor race - Isle of Man TT - YouTube[/ame]

Buncha crazy fuggers...

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

I do ride a big Gold Wing but this is the kind of ride you take when you've lost your job, your house is being foreclosed on, the autos have been reposesed, you dog just ate your leg off and your girlfriend just ran off with the two neighbor ladies and the milkmans great dane. What's left to live for.
Small Block

There's an incredible amount of history behind that race. Thanks for posting Mike.

WOW!!!!! Those crashes were insane. Th skill you got to have to race there is unbelievable.

WOW! Nice. Ummm, best in the world compete there. Great landscapes to view ... in a car, LOL!

If you want to see this in person you must plan the trip far in advance. Only so many people can get in the island and lodging is limited. Many people rent spaces in their yard for campers.
Friends of mine went in 2000. They have a great story of a local racer that was having problems with a turn. Its seemed a power pole was too close to the road for his comfort.
The power pole was moved (temporally) into the yard of the house they were staying at.
That is fan support.

Bucket list material here.

I was at the TT this year back in June for the 100th anniversary of the mountain course. The TT started in 1907, but the full mountain course as its now known didn't open until 1911. BigWhip is right on, pretty much everything on the island sells out well in advance of the race, renting houses and such for the week is usually done AT the race for next years race, the hotels are a little better for availability but cost a fortune during the weeks of the race. Planning it isn't that easy either, the race is often delayed because of weather, so while its set for a week and half or so in June, it's nothing for it to be moved a few days back because of rain, fog etc.

But there are ways around lodging though, you can catch a ferry over from England, or get on a puddle jumper and fly from Ireland, Scotland, etc. We planned a trip to Ireland and flew over for the day from Dublin. We were fortunate enough to have beautiful weather, but we still only were able to see one race as an Irish rider was killed in a crash during the first race, so it was postponed a few hours before it resumed, and that bumped the the start of the second race after we had to catch our flight.

The video does little to actually show how insane these guys really are. Sitting at the bottom of Bray Hill and watching these guys go by at 130 mph is just absolutely insane. The streets are narrower than most residential streets here in the US, and of course there's rock walls, fences, houses, curbs, and just general road maintenance issues, all of the roads are public roads the rest of the year.

The crash that starts and ends the crash sequence on that video is Connor Cummins, on the second lap of the Senior TT from 2010. In the crash Connor sustained a badly broken left arm, fractures to bones in his back, a dislocated knee and ligament damage, bruising to his lungs and a hairline fracture to his pelvis. --- He raced the TT this year, I actually saw him walking around in the pits after the race we watched.

The photo below is looking down the track from Bray Hill corner. The rider in the picture is likely doing over 100mph at the time of the shot. Discovery HD, I think they call it the Velocity channel now, airs the IOM TT races a few months after its run in June, and reruns it occasionally. They've already aired the 2011 race, but I'm sure they're still airing some of the major events once and awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 178
Huge fan of this race, as far as i'm concerned one of the last true races, one of these days when i'm rich I would love to be able to be in it. This is sport riding in its truest form.

My other side. I race the vintage circuit. Sweet sound of 8ooo rpm of my 70 Norton Commando. I'm 52. And no I'm not Doug MacCrea. I wasn't lapped. I held my own.
I race mostly on the west coast circuit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3R5SomUq5Y&feature=related"]Norton 750 Commando Wins Daytona - YouTube[/ame]

That guy lays it down, then flies off a cliff and hits a block wall? No thanks. My friend said he did 163 on a Katana, I told him to dream on...his balls were not that big...

Wow. Pure idiocy.

I'm betting dude that hit the fence isn't racing anymore.

Wow. Pure idiocy.

I'm betting dude that hit the fence isn't racing anymore.

Actually, if you read my post above, you'd see that he is in fact racing. And, was racing the TT again this year (Crash was last year).

Here's Conor talking about the crash last year.

[ame="http://youtu.be/Y07yt87lhEA"]302 Found[/ame]

And here he is racing this year at the TT...

http://flic.kr/p/9T7B56

5829284089_175e0fe913_b.jpg

He tucked the front end, basically the bars looked like they went full lock to the right. The start of his crash happens about the 38-39 second mark of the video. He makes that move across the line to the inside, then back out to the white line on final commit. That last time to the line finished him. Watch his front tire twitch/chatter as he crosses back onto the dashed white lines on entry into the corner, laying a black stripe with the front tire.

Now the fun part... You have to do everything opposite of what you think. Jam the right knee puck into the ground and grab a handfull of throttle to get weight off the front tire while lifting the bike up. It's hard to do at 60 mph let alone triple digit speeds on a closed course with plenty of run off. Those guys don't have the run off luxury. Based on the continuation of the track, another right hand bend, my guess, even if he does everything right, he runs wide and takes a tumble.

Lucky man, no doubt, to survive that crash.

-
Back