Issue w Big block oil pump priming in fresh motor

-

shutudown4

Reaction score
Fellow big block a-body owners
I have a big block oil priming question
Used priming rod and lifters got oiled and eventually the oil gauge at the top rear of the block registered 80 lbs
Absolutely no oil reached the rocker shafts
The shafts were installed in the correct position according to the manual
I’ve done this several times previously w other big blocks
But now can’t remember
There are offset oil holes on the bottom of the shafts. There are at the 15 degree position away from the rocker shaft bolts and TOWARDS the outside of the head nearer to the valves
Should there be oil coming up to the shafts using just a drill motor?

Or does the engine need to be running to get the oil up to the top? The rebuilt motor will be started up soon
Shutudown4

The cam must turn, or be turned so that the oil holes in the cam line up.

That’s exactly what I was thinking
So basically the oil will come up pretty quick once the motor is running
I Appreciate your quick response and Info
Shutudown4

What position does the crank need to b in so that the cam oiling holes r lined up to get the oil to the rocker shafts?
I think I something about that in the motor manual
Shutudown4

What position does the crank need to b in so that the cam oiling holes r lined up to get the oil to the rocker shafts?
I think I something about that in the motor manual
Shutudown4
Best to have help running the drill while you slowly turn the crank. Oil will come up each side. Take plugs out, easier to turn.

That's a good question. Our good friend 70aarcuda used to remind me all the time what the camshaft oil timing was on small blocks and I'm sure he knew it on big blocks, too, but unfortunately, Tony is no longer with us. I really miss that guy. @pittsburghracer, John, do you happen to know what the camshaft oil timing is on big blocks by crank degrees?

I guess if nothing else, you can turn the engine a tad at the time and prime it for a while. I've done that before myself. You'll find it quicker than you think, but it'd be nice to know.

I have this if it can help. Unfortunately, I don't have the source or knowledge of it even being accurate. Maybe you can verify it?

1697937708119.png

"Down and Out" for the rocker shaft oil holes......
1697939597687.png

Last edited:
That's a good question. Our good friend 70aarcuda used to remind me all the time what the camshaft oil timing was on small blocks and I'm sure he knew it on big blocks, too, but unfortunately, Tony is no longer with us. I really miss that guy. @pittsburghracer, John, do you happen to know what the camshaft oil timing is on big blocks by crank degrees?

I guess if nothing else, you can turn the engine a tad at the time and prime it for a while. I've done that before myself. You'll find it quicker than you think, but it'd be nice to know.

No I’m sorry I do not.

-
Back