issue with my dakota

-

74demon

Reaction score
i am not sure where i should post this but i have a issue with my v6 99 dakota with 191,*** on it. It has started to just randomley stall on me it has no codes and really only dose it when siting at a red light or shifting in to reverse some time it gives me no issues when it stalls it makes the noise of a engine starving for fuel so i am thinking maybe a fuel pump but i wanted to see if anyone else had this issue in case it a sensor or something one thing i noticed just befor it starts to stall it jumps up abut 3 to 400 rpm then drops to 0

those years of dakota's were known for two things, the wire going to the computer from the idle air solenoid corrodes off and causes low idle

and the second is the fuel pump

does it rev up when you first start it or does it want to stall?

check the mass air flo senser it may be dirty just a thought and an easy check

It may sound strange, but check the transmission fluid level. I had a similar problem with my 2000 Dakota and it was resolved by adding fluid (after spending money on solenoids, etc).

i am not sure where i should post this but i have a issue with my v6 99 dakota with 191,*** on it. It has started to just randomley stall on me it has no codes and really only dose it when siting at a red light or shifting in to reverse some time it gives me no issues when it stalls it makes the noise of a engine starving for fuel so i am thinking maybe a fuel pump but i wanted to see if anyone else had this issue in case it a sensor or something one thing i noticed just befor it starts to stall it jumps up abut 3 to 400 rpm then drops to 0

Ok i have a 96 ram 1500 started with same problem and symtoms..

I did the following.
new coil..no fix
new cap plugs wires and rotor..no fix
new crank position sensor...no fix

new crank trigger or also known as cam sensor in newer magnum engine.This part is located in the disturber.this was my FIX

This was not easy to fix because as you said it never gave any codes.\
and after doing each of the other things being replaced it would act as if it was ok for a day or 2 than back to stalling and or stumbling when driving.

Hope this helps and according to the dealer they do sell a lot of them and he was very shocked that i had 140,000 and never had this issue before.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX249T T-Series; Pin Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 3; Mounting Location: External; Connector Gender: Female

$17.54
Add Part
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4P1253 {#56026746, 88922445, CR141}
Engine VIN T
Engine VIN Y

$29.79
Add Part
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX249 {#19017191, 56026746, C1929} CAMSHAFT SENSOR; Pin Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 3; Mounting Location: External; Connector Gender: Female

$34.79
Add Part

when i first start it cold no issue driver it for 15 min hit 3 or 4 lights by time i come to a stop at the 5th it may or may not die and like i said befor 80% time going in to R it will die but stumbles each time be for shuting down it i can catch it in time i can power brake it just a little and it will be fine at that stop ...going down road no power issues no stalling issues no hic-up of any kind i will attempt to do all the things you have all mention and thank you for your help

I've had problems with the idle air control on both our 99 Dakota
and our 2000 Dak R/T. Most of the time you go to start it and get no fast
idle and stalling first couple of stops. After it warmed up was ok. That didn't
show any codes either. Was told this by a Mopar tech. Haven't had any
problems yet.

Both my Dakota's (93 v6 and 2000 5.9) had that distributor pickup go bad.

Kind of a ***** to troubleshoot unless you've had it before.

Usually it gets progressively worse to restart as time goes on.

also try cleaning the throttle body this will cause die out due too carbon build-up,carburator cleaner and tooth brush. i did a lot of them when worked at the dealers

-
Back