Issues with 340 distributor

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys, im a pretty acvtive preventative maintenance nut. Change fuel filters every year along with oil. Change plugs every two years. Well its been about four years since the cars been done and decided to replac the distributor cap and rotor. So got them in mail today, swapped cap over no issues there. Noticed that the rotor is a little snug on the distributor shaft. Pulled it off and put new one on. Put everything back together and no start, wtf. I knew firing order was correct because I swapped them over one by one. So i noticed that the rotor spun with a pretty good amount of play, then also noticed that it was spinning freely which i know it shouldnt. Crap. Pulled distributor and noticed the distributor shaft knurls had come loose from the upper part of the distributor. When i pulled the rotor off I remember the upper mechanism moving quite a bit. Upon further inspection looks like the advance mechanism pulled out of the distributor base. But why would it? Isnt it supposed to be fastened to the distributor base? Mine looked more like just line up pins to me. Any thoughts

The main shaft of the distributor is held in with a nylon bushing and a roll pin that goes through it. It is located at the bottom of the housing on the shaft.

This one had a steel bushing that went against the bottom of the housing, the shaft has knurls about two inches from the top and just fitted into the upper advance mechanism. I believe its a summit distributor. I can post pics if needed

Heres the bottom of the pickup and advance mechanism. In the center is where it fits down on the knurls

image.jpeg

Heres the knurls on the top ofbthe shaft
image.jpeg

How it fits together in the distributor housing
image.jpeg

Bottom of shaft
image.jpeg

Where it goes against the housing
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with how that dist. is constructed. It looks like it has come loose where the shaft goes through the pick up plate?

Thats what im thinking? The shaft goes in from the bottom as shown in last picture. The pick up and advance mechanism on top pic sets down in distributor housing onto the knurls, the knurls are what holds the pick up and advance to the distributor shaft. The knurls hold the the shaft with the pick up and allows the shaft to transmit the rotation from the distributor gear to the rotor, pick up and advance

That appears to be a cheap knockoff of the MP distributor made by Mallory. It's not a factory Chrysler distributor. It's come loose from the main shaft. I have no clue how you would go about getting it back in the right location. I would throw that thing in the ditch and get something better.

I was thinking the same thing,how would you know how to put it back together in the correct phase?

Any suggestions on a good distributor? Im running a chrysler orange and blue ignition box standard oil filled coil with the ballast resistor setup. I would like to be able to plug right into the old pig tail

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a good distributor? Im running a chrysler orange and blue ignition box standard oil filled coil with the ballast resistor setup. I would like to be able to plug right into the old pig tail

Yeah, get one of TrailBeast's distributors. All curved and ready to go. He is a good dude.

Will work with any 340 no matter what setup? Quality distributor? Also how is the curve adjusted? I dont know if the one i had was adjusted correctly. The one i had was a vacuum and machamical advance

Will work with any 340 no matter what setup? Quality distributor? Also how is the curve adjusted? I dont know if the one i had was adjusted correctly. The one i had was a vacuum and machamical advance

Give him a shout. He will tell you all about them. It is a Mopar reman electronic distributor that he puts a custom curve in and the 4 seconds flat advance limiter plate. He will need to know your engine combo though.

Will do thanks a lot guys. If i were to get another distributor how would i adjust the mechanical advance? I dont think it was adjusted on the old one. Car felt pretty powerfull but seemed like it lacked just a hair. Here lately it seems as its been running a little weird. Maybe this distributor played a role in it idk

Thanks. Hmmm so basically its a hei setup? Or can i use my coil and ignition box with ballast resistor just with the distributor

Thanks. Hmmm so basically its a hei setup? Or can i use my coil and ignition box with ballast resistor just with the distributor

He does HEI units, but what I am talking about is the modified stock Mopar electronic distributor he does. That will plug right into what you have.

Ahhh thanks a bunch you guys. So you think the hei setup is worth going too? I mean the car runs strong, 400horse 340. Just always seemed like it wasnt quite 100%. Possible my advance wasn't set up properly? Just weighing my options, not a race car but a street car. I would hate to remove the wiring i already have. Unless that kit is super easy to install

Ahhh thanks a bunch you guys. So you think the hei setup is worth going too? I mean the car runs strong, 400horse 340. Just always seemed like it wasnt quite 100%. Possible my advance wasn't set up properly? Just weighing my options, not a race car but a street car. I would hate to remove the wiring i already have. Unless that kit is super easy to install

You can. I think the Mopar distributor would be the easiest. It's direct plug and play with what you have NOW. But certainly TrailBeast can help you upgrade to HEI if you want to. Send him a PM.

I did already lol thanks for the help. Should i keep it simple and just use my current setup Along with his distributor?

I did already lol thanks for the help. Should i keep it simple and just use my current setup Along with his distributor?

Let him know what your intentions are. If you plan to upgrade anything else. My guess is will say to stick with the Mopar stuff....but I don't know.

-
Back