Issues with 360 engine mounts

-
Heres my advice. You dont have 2 drivers side mounts, you have 2 passenger side mounts. That's fact. I have been messing with this **** longer than I care to remember. See pic below. Pic is NOS pair of 67-72 V8 mounts. See the one circled. Thats what a drivers side bracket looks like. Has 3 block mounting holes. You have 2 of the one on the right. Passenger side brackets. Get a drivers side 67-72 A body 273 , 318 mount which is circled in the pic.

The 273 318 drivers side bracket is more readily available than the 340 , 360 and then just spacer the aft ear. Then it's a bolt in, and engine sits level. Then sell off the extra RH mount. These parts in the pic below are not mine. Just found em doing a quick search on fabo to give you an idea what to look for.

If you dont want to find a proper LH mount, then install the one on the right side of the engine, put the rubber mount on the mount bracket, oriented like I showed you in the OEM holes, not the ones you drilled. Set the engine in with "only" the RH mount on the block and a jack with a plywood square under the oil pan, and level it side to side, then mod your LH mount from the block down to the K Frame. Hope you know how to weld.

I'm out. I gave more than enough advice. Please listen to it to prevent chasing your tail around your shop even more than you already have.

View attachment 1715717815
I appreciate all you’ve said. This is what I don’t get. What I have on the drivers side is set up hole wise to what you circled in the pic. It does look like that one has a bend to it though. If I were to put it on the passenger side, not only would the three holes not line up on the block, but the holes for the insulator would be rearward. The one I have on the passenger side is like the other in the picture EXCEPT the hole for the insulator were closer to the opposite tab. That’s why I had to drill new holes in it.

This bracket here IS a 67-72 A body passenger side bracket. Start with the side of the engine with the bracket and rubber that is correct. The passenger side. Then mod the other one to fit the drivers side.

256341F2-B37B-443F-BD19-259C807B2840.jpeg.jpg

George Jets, please dont confuse the guy. the 273, 318, 340, 360 V8s all fit the same V8 K frame from 67-72. The passenger side mount that bolts to the block is the same for all 4 engines into the 67-72 K frame,

the drivers side mount is what's specific. A 273 318 Drivers side mount will work on a 340 360 if you use a longer bolt and a spacer between the aft ear and bracket. Pic shown is a spool mount, but idea is the same with the flat mounts.

View attachment 1715717811
how big of a spacer does it take? Or what should I be looking for to tell if I need more or less of a spacer? Just the engine level?

-
Back