It had to happen sometime!

-
I will talk to them but if they raise my rates might as well pay it myself now vs over the next 10 years

Sorry Dana. Looks like it held up well for ya. Back in the 70's I was rearended by a motorcycle. Luckily the top was down and he landed in my back seat! What a bang. Only a dime size ding dead center of my bumper.

Ouch, sorry for your loss and glad you are okay It must be tough with a car you have spent so much time with.

It must be tough with a car you have spent so much time with
It's mostly bolt on parts so I'm not too bad off, the trunk face that is behind the trim took a beating but mostly popped back out pretty well.

Wow, this hits home for me because the same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Throwing in the towel

Oddly enough, on I-25 in north Springs and in a 68 dart.

Mine was a little worse but I got a hefty insurance check and I ended up selling the car and moved on because I have a few cars.

Glad you're OK and I think you're car is still very fixable.

Last edited:
Glad you're OK and I think you're car is still very fixable
I have it roughed in back to a presentable state.

I'll probably drop a bumper off with the chromer that goes to GoodGuys, they take it and bring it back all pretty in Feb? at the tristate swap meet.

No shipping costs!

That really blows! I might have lost my cool with the moron on the side of the highway, and knocked his lights out... but everyone is different.
Glad you are ok though. The car can be repaired.
I think you should get a hold of your insurance company and get them a copy of the police report, as soon as possible. Good luck

I was on my way to the Pikes Peak International Speedway for the Hot Rod and Rumble Car show last Saturday morning. I am doing 65 in the right lane of the 2 lane interstate I25, 25 minutes into my 3 hour drive. I look in my rearview mirror and see headlights fast approaching, "he will go around" I thought. There were no other cars around us. Closer and closer he got, my brains said "he's not going around". I hit the gas and accelerated as much as my tired old 273 2bbl could muster and BAM!

He hit me square in the rear.

It felt like a 50mph hit. I started to slow and watched him to see what he was doing. After a quarter of a mile or more he finally started to pull over. I pulled over and LUCKLY I started my phones video recorder and got out. He said "I'm sorry can I pay you cash". I was still in a bit of shock over the whole thing and did not even look at my car yet. I expected to see the trunk lid crumpled 12" in, and the bumper and quarters wrinkled forward. I asked him what happened and he just stood there. I told him that I needed his insurance and he gave me more deer in the head light looks. Then I asked if he had insurance. He said yes and went to his car to get it. I followed and videoed his license plate......as he drove off!

Luckily on my video I got his full face from 2 feet away, he even said his name and I got a clear shot of his plate. I gave chase hopping my Dart was drivable. I lost sight of him and pulled over and called the Police. This entire encounter lasted maybe 2 minutes from hit to me pulling over.

after talking with the police I finally got to look at the damage...

Rear bumper was bent under the car, but not very much maybe an inch, the GT full face trunk panel was crushed in on the drivers side to the lock, the lower trim that goes around the panel on the drivers and pass side was damaged, the trunk would open but the key was stiff.

The gaps around the trunk were normal! I looked under at the unibody frame and could not see any distortions. Even the bumper gaps looked normal.

Either the hit had much less of a speed difference then it felt or they don't make them like they used to.

The Officer came back after looking at a service station where he thought he might have seen the car, he showed me a mugshot oin his tablet and asked if this was the guy. YEP that's him. The officer said we know him and where he lives etc. I'm not expecting to see a penny from the guy, but you never know.

The officer handed me the paperwork and I was on my way. Only 1 hour late to the show!

So here is where I am NOT posting a wanted ad. I will do that later, but I do need typical prices for some used parts. I looked on FB and the usual places but many of the trim parts are not available a lot of the time.

This is the list of parts I think I need based on what I have seen.

all parts should be... better than driver quality but less than show quality meaning paint on the trim can be missing or faded / dull but there should be minimul road rash or dents and deep scratched

1. 1967-1969 Dart left and right inner bumper brackets (the outer ones show no signs of damage)
  2. 1967 Dart Rear Bumper
  3. 1967-???? Trunk Lock
  4. 1967 Lower left and lower right GT trunk panel surround trim
  5. 1967 GT full trunk cover panel

PLEASE do not offer parts for sale here so Dad wont get upset! I'm just looking for typical part prices you may have seen in your travels in the last year.

The worst part is I can no longer say I'm the only member of the family who has not been driving the car when it has been in an accident.:(

Thanks all.
Dana
There is a large car show and swap meet in Ocala, the first weekend in November. If the parts you need are not there, ask. The venders come from all over the SE. It's just off I-75.

wap meet in Ocala, the first weekend in November
Thanks,but I probably won't be in FL anytime soon. I'm in Colorado!

It's all good. I think if the car was fully restored I would have been more upset.

UPDATE!

I learned today that the guy was apprehended 2-3 hours after the accident about an hour south.

He was charged with 4 counts, 2 are leaving the scan of an accident and failure to provide proof of insurance. I did not catch the others.

That's something!

-
Back