It is a very good idea to check things...

-

cudamike13

cudamike13
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone !
I am in process of continuing working on my 67 Barracuda.
It was put on hold while me and wife fixed up retirement home.

A while back I bough a motor, a 416 stroker.
It had a Chinese Harmonic Damper installed.
I said: no way.
I purchased a new Fluidamper and removed the Chinese one.
This is what I saw: The timing cover was not installed correctly causing off center metal on backside of damper to rub on case. The damper part was also out of round, so it just ate up some of the cover.
This was a professionally built motor. The rest of it looks VERY GOOD !
I am buying a new case.
There was also overspray (red) on crank snout.
Also I had to buy a 3/4x16 thread chaser because when I pulled old damper, the bolt had a couple places in threads that didn't look right. I'm using a new ARP bolt and don't want to mess it up too! I had to pay $65.00 for a tool I'm only going to use once!

IMG_2879.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG

Hi everyone !

This is what I saw: The timing cover was not installed correctly causing off center metal on backside of damper to rub on case. The damper part was also out of round, so it just ate up some of the cover.
I am buying a new case.
Also I had to buy a 3/4x16 thread chaser because when I pulled old damper, the bolt had a couple places in threads that didn't look right. I'm using a new ARP bolt and don't want to mess it up too! I had to pay $65.00 for a tool I'm only going to use once!

View attachment 1715531680 View attachment 1715531681 View attachment 1715531683
There should be a gasket there, if there wasn’t I’m not sure how you kept oil in the pan.

Jake

Hi everyone !

I am buying a new case.

View attachment 1715531680 View attachment 1715531681 View attachment 1715531683

That’s what happens when the damper is installed after the timing cover is bolted down. That’s a no no. The cover isn’t centered by dowel pins, but is centered by the snout of the damper. I always leave the cover loose until the damper is on and the timing cover is centered on the damper. That won’t happen if you do that.

That’s what happens when the damper is installed after the timing cover is bolted down. That’s a no no. The cover isn’t centered by dowel pins, but is centered by the snout of the damper. I always leave the cover loose until the damper is on and the timing cover is centered on the damper. That won’t happen if you do that.
I agree 100%
Its a shame the pro didn't do that. Such a simple thing!

Dang Mike....I'm glad you found that! That was the good cover where the seal goes in from the front. Did it damage it enough to where you can't smooth it up and reuse it? Glad you're getting back to work on your Cuda. Have you gotten more done to it since I came and picked up the 727?

Still getting parts together. Still waiting on Hotchkiss to send me the springs I ordered in Jan !
Getting ready to put transmission and motor back together.
Did you put the 727 in your RR yet?

I agree 100%
Its a shame the pro didn't do that. Such a simple thing!

Reason for that is because he was a "pro" Chevy engine builder and nothing else. These guys run these shops think they can assemble anything under the sun because they can build a Chevy halfway right. They won't even look in an assembly manual to verify they are assembly correctly. They just keep drudging forward. Ask me how I know.

Still getting parts together. Still waiting on Hotchkiss to send me the springs I ordered in Jan !
Getting ready to put transmission and motor back together.
Did you put the 727 in your RR yet?

No...don't have it in yet, but I did clean the 727 up good, and seal it up to keep dirt out of it. It's safely stored on the shelf until I get to work on the Roadrunner! :)

I didn't know that! I'll try to remember next time I do it....mine is fine and leak free but I'm gonna remember the tip :thumbsup:

Jeff

I didn't know that! I'll try to remember next time I do it....mine is fine and leak free but I'm gonna remember the tip :thumbsup:

Jeff
yup, the little **** no one knows they need to know until it gets screwed up :lol:

Reason for that is because he was a "pro" Chevy engine builder and nothing else. These guys run these shops think they can assemble anything under the sun because they can build a Chevy halfway right. They won't even look in an assembly manual to verify they are assembly correctly. They just keep drudging forward. Ask me how I know.

Agree , either that or he was a big block only guy ---I wouldnt have known that , dont know if I`d caught it or not.

-
Back