It is what is right for Root Beer

-

'73 Root Beer

Reaction score
Not an easy decision, but my job has forced me to purchase a safer daily driver, as I will now be transporting customers for lunch and dinner meetings. I have to sell my 73. I choose to do this for the car, because I do not have heated indoor storage. I am going to allow my niece, who has connections through her job, to try and sell for me on commission. If you search craigslist Seattle soon enough it should be listed. I will post on the for sale forum, if I feel I need to move the car faster to persevere it.

This is the best vehicle forum I have ever been on. I am going to stay on, I may not have the car after it is sold, but I may still be able to help someone.

Thanks to everybody here that helped me make my Swinger the best I could.

Well I'm sure that was a tough decision. If I hear of anyone around here looking I'll refer them, good luck!

That's a bummer. Have you considered just storing it for the winter in a storage unit or the likes?

Sometimes we have to love them enough to set them free! Write down forabodiesonly.com and put it in the car and tell the new owner about the site. Also make sure you have some really good photos of your car, to look at in the future. I have big picture of Goldie that reminds me of the good times. Congrats on your new job!

I have thought about storage, I just don't feel right about it. Car needs someone to take it to the next level. For me the car has to be hands on. I am being honest with myself. I get the new car, the 73 sits and falls apart due to neglect. I know myself too well.

No not easy, but sometimes they grow up and they need to move on. Who knows, maybe I can get a garage someday, then I will be back in an A Body.

Company demands a safer car, tell them to buy a company car of their choice. Any job that requires safety equipment, be it safety glasses, steel toe shoes, life harnesses, hard hats, etc., pays for it. Your car complies with the safety measures of it's year, and if they want updates.... they pay.

I hate to see someone let go of the car that they built and put so much care into....

Company demands a safer car, tell them to buy a company car of their choice. Any job that requires safety equipment, be it safety glasses, steel toe shoes, life harnesses, hard hats, etc., pays for it. Your car complies with the safety measures of it's year, and if they want updates.... they pay.

I think it was his choice to get a more modern car. I understand the tough choice. I almost did the same thing. Best of luck!

I think it was his choice to get a more modern car. I understand the tough choice. I almost did the same thing. Best of luck!
I think so too! I think he is selling it and using his job for the scape goat.

I have sold many cars over the years as life changes dictate (jobs, moves, getting married, buying a house, needing $) - 69 Barracuda 318, 69 Dart GT 383 conversion, 67 Sport Fury Fast top 383 4 speed, 68 Sport Fury Ragtop 383 4 speed, 72 Swinger 440, 75 Dart Sport 408 4 speed, 72 Scamp 318, 68 Dart 270 and the list goes on. Some were nicer than others, but I loved all of them.

I don't regret selling any one of them - life also changes in the other direction and there is always another deal on a great car when you least expect it.

You have to be able to let go in life and move on, not be a slave to "things"

JMO

It is what it is....how much do you want for it???

Some folks make it sound like you are selling your kids.....it is just a car after all.....

Exactly. These cars no matter how attached we get to them are just material possessions that can be replaced. It sounds like to me if you're going to be running customers around in your car you might be in a position where after a couple of years you can buy another A body? We don't let our parts delivery guy run customers around in his personal car, but our salesmen do. Our salesmen make enough money to afford an A body on the side. Good luck to you!

Car is listed at $8k. Gotta start somewhere right? Ive got $6 k into it after purchase. These beauties are not money makers. They are good times though. Yes ill miss it.
I have 2 motorcycles a camper, a utility trailer, wife's honda, the fj. Its sad but the Dart loses the argument. If I keep it, it falls apart. I can't live with that. Knowing somebody can continue what I have with this car.

I too have Had cars come and go. Has the one been my favorite, nope. But it has been one of my better classics, due to the fact I have been able to afford the gas and upkeep to drive it everyday.

I do get to looking at getting a SRT 300 or SRT Charger. Hellcat be nice but way too much for daily use.

Sometimes we have to love them enough to set them free! Write down forabodiesonly.com and put it in the car and tell the new owner about the site. Also make sure you have some really good photos of your car, to look at in the future. I have big picture of Goldie that reminds me of the good times. Congrats on your new job!
That's a good point, a lot easier for a new car owner. to have mechanical and parts access quickly. Good luck, and hopefully you find one soon.

If the need for money is not dictating the sale-

Root Beer's new home might not have a garage for it..

..It could be better off with you with a cloth car cover under a heavy walmart/harbor freight plastic tarp with light tensioned bungee cords holding the tarps down.

After a while if you get a good feel for your guests, they might like to ride in it.

Could you drive the wife's car instead while she had Root Beer?

If you are working class like me, losing $6K invested into a painted, running, vehicle, only to pick up the hobby down the road at a potential loss of substantial time and money, and quality next vehicle could become very discouraging.

I wish you would pursue some other viable option.

I am not rushing to sell. It is only one option of choices. If I still have the car around march, a second option opens, though I still wont have inhouse decent storage.

So we shall see what happens. I don't even have 4 sale signs on car and I drive it everyday.

Yes I am conflicted.

-
Back