It's......it's......a...."340C.I. BABY BIG BLOCK"

-
I have had 340's called the baby hemi before. Usually by someone who doesn't have a clue.
Maybe there were some phrases from magazine writers when these engines came out.

I never heard it called a baby big block. Always a 340

and..................the new hemi is designed around.......................a small block!!!

the item you are buying as well as picking -up is a 1973 PLYMOUTH BARRACDA 340C.I. BABY BIG BLOCK WITH A PURPLE RACING CAM SHAFT IN IT!! PLUM CRAZY PURPLE WITH BLACK STRIPES AND HARDTOP... NEW INTERIOR EXTREMELY NICE SHAPE AUTOMATIC. ALL MATCHING #"S THIS IS A (((H)) SERIES CAR!! H-MEANING HIGH END FACTORY CAR..

Actually I have heard that term hundreds of times....the rest of that ad is cheesy, but the baby big block term, has been around Detroit for a good number of years from say 67-68 to 71-72......it was quite common.

REASON being a stock 340 in a gen 2 barracuda or duster , would blow the doors off a stock 383 - 440 from 0 to about 80...because most of the 383- 440's back then came in B body's, the very few that did come in A bodies still had issues beating the 340 because of weight and 340's flat out wound up faster.....
Stock Big blocks had to wait to catch up with the stroke...once that happened which was somewhere around 65-70 they would start to pull on the 340's and once they caught em around 80 90 the big block would pull past em like they were tied to a post!
BUT out of the HOLE....340's would jump & be gone, while the BB Bodies would sit there and melt tires.

the term baby hemi came from the floating wrist pin and crank to cam c/l dimensionally , the same just smaller..

I would routinely bury big blocks .... up to a certain distance.....then get blown by them with hurricane force. My fav. was killing this 455 Olds all day long. The owner was flabbergassed-ed-ed-ed and mad as hell.

Waaaaay back in my college days, when the 340 first came out, a Mopar buddy of mine test drove one and said, "That little thing is like a Jr. Varsity Hemi!"
First and only time I ever heard the 340 described that way.
My first drag racing trophy run at OCIR was a G/PureStock win over a 383 RoadRunner that wasn't exactly "Pure Stock". I ran 14.28 at 98+ mph in my '69 340 Swinger, 727, and 3.23 open rear.

-
Back