It's not the speed that gets you...

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
It's that sudden stop.

It's another one of those nights when my brain keeps churning but my body says stop (eventually the brain gives in).

Some folks may have read my welcome wagon post and in it I wrote that I was new to MOPAR and FABO. It's a totally true statement because I had been riding MC's most of my life. I got hooked back in 1984 when my step brother for some unknown reason brought home a 1981 Honda CM400T he bought off a buddy of his. Man, I don't know what possessed him to buy the thing because he was terrified of it. LOL As far as can recall I don't think he even rode it once. But I did!

One day (after seeing the bike sit for 2 months) when everyone left the house for work (and school) I ditched school came home determined to teach myself how to ride it. And that I did! Armed with a little knowledge from friends who rode dirt bikes and having ridden Mopeds, and an RM 125 once, so I set off. First starting out slowly getting the feel of the clutch and the brakes then off on around the block staying in 2nd. Man was that a blast! and after a few hours I was clicking up and down from 1st -3rd zipping around my neighborhood. That was that! I would basically steal his bike every chance I could until I eventually bought it from him LOL

What does this have to do with MOPARs? Well nothing really, not directly anyhow it's just how I started riding and I ended up doing so for 30 years. I've owned a lot of bikes and for many of my younger years I couldn't afford anything new. I would buy bikes off of my buds for cheap after they whooped on them and then put in a little work and some clean up then I'd thrash em. :) Sometimes even sell back to the guy for more than I paid lol.

I love to ride but I Really like the sport of it. I was always safe, wore the proper gear (the works), lots of good experience and training on proper riding techniques. Safe, but Man! I had a streak, I like the speed and the turns. Went many years with out a major accident, had some minor off's though. But I ended up having 3 majors...

The last one in April 2012. I was on a ride with a friend we were on our way back home from a nice day of jamming in the hills up North. We were cruising on a two lane road close to home. There was a nice curve up ahead so I set up my line, let the engine braking settle the suspension, approached at a late apex and tip the bike in and rolled the throttle a bit. It was feeling right, yup right up until at that very moment this dog ran into the road. I brought the bike up to avoid then cranked it back down to bring it back. Wish I could tell you about this great save but I can't. I ran out of road and hit the curb while leaning. The bike became compressed and the suspension was loaded up pretty darn good. I high sided big and the bike ejected me like I was a fighter pilot in a downed plane. I remember thinking This is going to be bad and it was at that moment that I thought everything is going to be fine until I hit something and suddenly stop.

I'll spare you the injury details because the important thing is I made a full recovery :) well pretty darn close to full.

But it was that last one that had me switch gears. I really wanted another ride and was shopping but then my boys asked me to do something else.

So I bought a MOPAR. :)

Goodnight.

From this:
2957_1074775668305_2407031_n.jpg

to this in 12 hours
3674_3492475789297_1824520847_n.jpg

Ive been in a wreck as well and I HATE reading about them. Glad yer still here with us!
Thanks! I'm glad to be here also! 😄

I accept there's always potential risks inherent to the sport and lifestyle. That said, I understand why you hate reading about them. I hope my story didn't bum you out too bad.

I'm happy to be involved in the restoration of a cool ride and even more happy that my son is there with me. I don't hate my accident, just wish I could have found a less painful way to FABO. 😃

Glad to see you are with us and able to walk around a new project
My last ride was a 550FOUR K Honda back in about 86, I was on my way home from work and was taking a short cut to avoid traffic, I leaned into a 30 mph curve doing about 45 and hit a big pot hole and had to set the bike up because ... well you know the wiggles came into play and I went straight into a hedge row as I was turning right, so I shot straight and just 20 feet in front of a truck.... I drove it home and traded it for a 318 plain Jane Barracuda and never went back, I have enjoyed riding my sons Bike in the last couple years on back roads and realized it was best to never get back on one, so here I am 55 and still alive and enjoying my Grandchildren and Victoria
Glad to have you with us :cheers:

Attachments

• Challenger%2520IN%2520NASCAR%2520Cup%2520race%2520017.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 272
Wow that was intense to read, glad you're still with us and your loved ones.

Glad to see you are with us and able to walk around a new project
My last ride was a 550FOUR K Honda back in about 86, I was on my way home from work and was taking a short cut to avoid traffic, I leaned into a 30 mph curve doing about 45 and hit a big pot hole and had to set the bike up because ... well you know the wiggles came into play and I went straight into a hedge row as I was turning right, so I shot straight and just 20 feet in front of a truck.... I drove it home and traded it for a 318 plain Jane Barracuda and never went back, I have enjoyed riding my sons Bike in the last couple years on back roads and realized it was best to never get back on one, so here I am 55 and still alive and enjoying my Grandchildren and Victoria
Glad to have you with us :cheers:

Mike, those dang potholes, why must they be on our lines in the turn??? I know that scenario well. Went riding in the Catskills with some friends back in 2003 saw two guys in front of me hit the same pothole on the same turn! needless to say I pulled up and over to help out (luckily neither was badly injured).

I think I'm going to follow your lead there and Ride occasionally and look forward to some grand kids.

That's a real nice looking barracuda you have there.Happy to be here with ya!

Mike, those dang potholes, why must they be on our lines in the turn??? I know that scenario well. Went riding in the Catskills with some friends back in 2003 saw two guys in front of me hit the same pothole on the same turn! needless to say I pulled up and over to help out (luckily neither was badly injured).

I think I'm going to follow your lead there and Ride occasionally and look forward to some grand kids.

That's a real nice looking barracuda you have there.Happy to be here with ya!

Enjoy the ride when you can and life, anything can change at any given time , even just walking down the street :glasses7:
Thank you on the complement :D But it's a 66 Valiant I call Victoria I was blessed with here :eek:ccasion:

Attachments

• victoria.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 264
Wow that was intense to read, glad you're still with us and your loved ones.

It was really intense, it happened so fast I was just reacting. I'm always amazed how int the moment our minds can slow these situations down.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Thank you on the complement :D But it's a 66 Valiant I call Victoria I was blessed with here :eek:ccasion:
Do'h! sorry man. :) Still learning... I'll get there.

ah hem :glasses7:, Valiant.

I used to ride several roads in NJ that were an absolute blast.....517, Canistear Road, the other road out of Highland Lakes (can't remember the number), and then there was always NY 97 to get ones blood pumping. I went from this

View attachment 104_0425 (Medium).jpg

to this

View attachment 0727131335 (Medium).jpg

which probably saved my life. I seen the rev limiter in sixth gear on the Zuki damn near every time I rode it, according to the speedo it was 178 mph. Even had the wife on the back of it at 155 going thru some highway curves. The chopper is a hole different ride. It is not about going as hard as you can, it is about just going. Sure do miss the sound of the Zuki's ram air opening up and that insane pull it had. Keep telling myself that if I ever get back into shape again I will get another one....

Glad to see you survived what was obviously a disaster. I had one dry pavement spill on my very first sport bike. No where near as severe as yours, I picked it up and rode it home. Fell three times in the snow on a bomber....why would any sane person ride two wheels in the snow? Seen a few folks go down and not get up, lost a family member a day or two before his wedding, his fiance went as well. Still can not stay off of a bike. I would be hard pressed to not sell the car, if the price was right.....to get another scooter...

worst wreck I ever got into I was 18
the local police had advised me my car was no longer road legal and until I made some fixes I was not to take it out on the road so the next morning I took one of my dirtbikes to go to work
I was just rolling out of a curve, getting back on the gas doing maybe 50 MPH when I came to an intersection
I saw the VW eurovan coming from my right and I assumed he saw me
knowing I had the right of way I didn't think nothing off it and kept going

next think I remember im laying on a gurney, being pushed down a hospital hallway with a nurse leaning over me telling me to relax, we're just heading back into surgery...that was two days later (the spend the first day setting my femur, now they were going to reassemble my skull)

it doesn't look too bad from this picture but the cops later showed me some polaroids they took when they arrived at the scene
the eurovan had stopped dead in its tracks and my bike had hit the front fender so hard it was actually standing straight up

2004 I had a RF900R. I would see 170 on the speedo quite often. 5 weeks before I got married I finished mowing my lawn on a hot day and decided to go for a ride to cool off. Threw on the helmet and headed down the road running along a lake. Twisty rode with houses on one side and woods on the other. I was only going 40 or so and two golden retrievers ran out of the woods back across to their house. I stood it up on its nose braking and came down on my side. Missed the dogs though. I broke 4 ribs and was scratched up pretty good and promised my soon to be wife my toys would now have bumpers. I bought my Barracuda later that year.

I briefly had an XR600R dirt bike but have not owned another street bike since. I joke with my wife when she finally gets sick of me I will get another one.

I used to ride several roads in NJ that were an absolute blast.....517, Canistear Road, the other road out of Highland Lakes (can't remember the number), and then there was always NY 97 to get ones blood pumping. I went from this

View attachment 1714674595

to this

View attachment 1714674596

which probably saved my life. I seen the rev limiter in sixth gear on the Zuki damn near every time I rode it, according to the speedo it was 178 mph. Even had the wife on the back of it at 155 going thru some highway curves. The chopper is a hole different ride. It is not about going as hard as you can, it is about just going. Sure do miss the sound of the Zuki's ram air opening up and that insane pull it had. Keep telling myself that if I ever get back into shape again I will get another one....

Glad to see you survived what was obviously a disaster. I had one dry pavement spill on my very first sport bike. No where near as severe as yours, I picked it up and rode it home. Fell three times in the snow on a bomber....why would any sane person ride two wheels in the snow? Seen a few folks go down and not get up, lost a family member a day or two before his wedding, his fiance went as well. Still can not stay off of a bike. I would be hard pressed to not sell the car, if the price was right.....to get another scooter...

Yeah... I know those roads. Out there in hunterdon county. Skyline.. High point and the palisades. Yeah!

Nice Bikes. And I'm partial to GSXRs " Gixxer" . Lol
I've seen your chopper some threads really sweet, Ridged?

I still have an 82 Kaw GPZ 550 with 5K original miles sitting in a friends garage in Georgia. I'm planning a trip out to get it in the spring. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet but it's a sweet classic.

worst wreck I ever got into I was 18
the local police had advised me my car was no longer road legal and until I made some fixes I was not to take it out on the road so the next morning I took one of my dirtbikes to go to work
I was just rolling out of a curve, getting back on the gas doing maybe 50 MPH when I came to an intersection
I saw the VW eurovan coming from my right and I assumed he saw me
knowing I had the right of way I didn't think nothing off it and kept going

next think I remember im laying on a gurney, being pushed down a hospital hallway with a nurse leaning over me telling me to relax, we're just heading back into surgery...that was two days later (the spend the first day setting my femur, now they were going to reassemble my skull)

it doesn't look too bad from this picture but the cops later showed me some polaroids they took when they arrived at the scene
the eurovan had stopped dead in its tracks and my bike had hit the front fender so hard it was actually standing straight up

dang! Glad you made it! the bike looks like it took a monster hit.

2004 I had a RF900R. I would see 170 on the speedo quite often. 5 weeks before I got married I finished mowing my lawn on a hot day and decided to go for a ride to cool off. Threw on the helmet and headed down the road running along a lake. Twisty rode with houses on one side and woods on the other. I was only going 40 or so and two golden retrievers ran out of the woods back across to their house. I stood it up on its nose braking and came down on my side. Missed the dogs though. I broke 4 ribs and was scratched up pretty good and promised my soon to be wife my toys would now have bumpers. I bought my Barracuda later that year.

I briefly had an XR600R dirt bike but have not owned another street bike since. I joke with my wife when she finally gets sick of me I will get another one.

You too!! what's with these four legged fellas? I totally get your decision to switch it up and did the same traded in two for four. Glad your okay man.. We gotta be there for our families.

It was a '81 CB900F Super Sport for me. Super Bike..too fast. From Wiki.."Despite being out-displaced, the CB900F competed with other performance bikes of the time such as the Kawasaki Kz1000, Suzuki GS1000, and Yamaha XS1100 "

So we were going do a road about 35 MPH and a little old lady in a grey Citation almost made is into hood ornaments. Locked both brakes and kept it up. I had the soon to be wife on the back. It was sold to pay for some of our honeymoon. Saw the same bike for sale about 3 years ago for 5 times more that what I sold it for..oh well..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS1100

I guess I am lucky as my 81 Suzuki GS1100 will only go 85mph according to the speedo. I guess that's why I still alive today lol. But I had a few close calls and did a lot of stupid things in my youth and my body is paying now. Welcome to the site and glad you survived the crash. I have never seen a swing arm Torn like that.

It was a '81 CB900F Super Sport for me. Super Bike..too fast. From Wiki.."Despite being out-displaced, the CB900F competed with other performance bikes of the time such as the Kawasaki Kz1000, Suzuki GS1000, and Yamaha XS1100 "

So we were going do a road about 35 MPH and a little old lady in a grey Citation almost made is into hood ornaments. Locked both brakes and kept it up. I had the soon to be wife on the back. It was sold to pay for some of our honeymoon. Saw the same bike for sale about 3 years ago for 5 times more that what I sold it for..oh well..

CB's where cool bikes. the 900 was a classic underdog that could bite you if you weren't paying attention. I no lot's of guy's who've turned those 750's into cool choppers.

I guess I am lucky as my 81 Suzuki GS1100 will only go 85mph according to the speedo. I guess that's why I still alive today lol. But I had a few close calls and did a lot of stupid things in my youth and my body is paying now. Welcome to the site and glad you survived the crash. I have never seen a swing arm Torn like that.

I've had a few GS1000's great bike!
That swing arm is one big chunk of metal. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how shredded it was. The guy who I was riding with told me that after I was chucked off, the bike flipped about 5 feet into the air and followed me. Yikes!

Thanks! I'm glad to be here also! ��

I accept there's always potential risks inherent to the sport and lifestyle. That said, I understand why you hate reading about them. I hope my story didn't bum you out too bad.

I'm happy to be involved in the restoration of a cool ride and even more happy that my son is there with me. I don't hate my accident, just wish I could have found a less painful way to FABO. ��

My spill was nowhere near as bad as yours. Mine involved the infamous "lefthand" turn from oncoming traffic. Your story didnt bum me out, it's like a "deja vu" feeling cuz I know whats coming. Glad the chidlet is helping you out with your ride!

My spill was on my 1st bike 83 V30 Magna. Here is a similar pic of my last bike, 83 KZ750. Killed my back and shoulders to ride it, so I sold it and bought an alum boat to take my boys fishing. My oldest boy told me not to sell it, that I would regret it. I dont regret selling THAT bike. Next one will be a cruiser.

Attachments

• 83 kz 750.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 148
dang! Glad you made it! the bike looks like it took a monster hit.

imagine that bike hitting the van as one big catapult and me being a little flying rock
:cheers:
I was wearing my helmet but still managed to break my skull in 2 different places
it took me almost 6 months to learn how to walk again and almost a decade to convince the wifey i needed another bike (i was already dating her at the time)

I guess I am lucky as my 81 Suzuki GS1100 will only go 85mph according to the speedo.

i have a plated KDX200 i drive almost anywhere that is like that
it tops out at about 80-85 and it has no speedo so the only time i know how fast im going is when i have her pegged in 6th gear...which is still surprisingly often
or it was until a few weeks ago when i was riding her in the woods and my foot slipped of the footpeg and the tip of my boot got caught in a root
it twisted my ankle so hard the ligaments tore the head of my fibula and twisted it in my ankle

-
Back