It's Official: 'Top Gear' host fired by BBC

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
The BBC has officially fired 'Top Gear' host Jeremy Clarkson for his 'fracas' with a producer recently. After conducting an internal investigation into the incident, they announced today that they would not be renewing his contract. I don't know about any of you, but I think the BBC just shot themselves in the foot.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/world/uk-bbc-jeremy-clarkson/index.html

I loved that show. It was much better then the American version. Clarkson made that show what it is and this move was a bad one. Other then Dr. Who, BBC America doesn't have anything else.

"A BBC investigation led by BBC Scotland boss Ken MacQuarrie found that Clarkson had subjected Oisin Tymon to a 30-second physical attack after a sustained verbal tirade. Tymon took himself to an A&E department after the assault.

It emerged on Wednesday that Clarkson could face a police investigation into his attack on Tymon after North Yorkshire police asked the BBC for a copy of MacQuarrie’s report.

The report, published on Wednesday, revealed the full extent of the attack at the Simonstone Hall hotel in North Yorkshire, which took place after a day’s filming in Newcastle on 4 March.

MacQuarrie concluded that Tymon was “subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack” by Clarkson, during which he was “struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip”.

The attack “lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness”, and Tymon “offered no retaliation”.

It said Tymon was “shocked and distressed by the incident” and “drove to a nearby A&E department for examination”.

The report added that Clarkson verbally abused Tymon “on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him.

“The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom.”

In a statement, North Yorkshire police said it “is liaising with the BBC regarding the alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson.

“We have asked the BBC for the report which details the findings of their internal investigation into the matter. The information will be assessed appropriately and action will be taken by North Yorkshire police where necessary.

“It would not be appropriate for North Yorkshire police to comment further at this time.”

‘Sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature’

Hall said Clarkson had “crossed a line” by subjecting an “innocent party [to] a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature”.

He said the BBC was a “broad church” which required “distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect.

“I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to accident and emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature.

“For me, a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.”

Hall said: “It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract.

“It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

“Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this, I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.”

Hall is a Top Gear fan and has previously stood by the presenter following a string of controversies, including an incident last year when he appeared to mumble the N-word in a Top Gear out-take."
sauce:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/25/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-contract-bbc

I just can't get into any of the shows that the Brit's do. The accent and termanology make it hard for me to follow.

That s because they speak "ENGLISH!"

I loved that show. It was much better then the American version. Clarkson made that show what it is and this move was a bad one. Other then Dr. Who, BBC America doesn't have anything else.

Hell yea brother. Screw the American version. That show sucks !!!!

Maybe they can get that hot lady German driver to take his place otherwise the show is going to suck! Oh and yes the American show sucks maybe they could get Clarkson and get rid of that little terd Tanner Faust.

Clarkson was the show and it wont work without him. There is also a lot of chemistry with the other two hosts which makes the show what it is . James May has already said he is unsure of its future.
The show is a huge revenue generator, massive worldwide.
The BBC is kidding themselves if they think it will continue but probably had no choice but to let him go because of the stupid political climate we live in.
Jeremy Clarkson has enough money to start his own production and continue on with his huge fan base. He owned the show outright at one point and I think he still owns 30%.
Top Gear as we knew it is done......its a shame, Great show.

i was a big fan of the british top gear because it featured european super cars that i would never want to own or pay for but still enjoy watching. also, that show did things that i've never seen another tv show do. i will miss the show a lot.

Arrogant tool, who hates anything American. Maybe I could watch that show now.

Arrogant tool, who hates anything American. Maybe I could watch that show now.
While he does dole out insults, Americans are not the sole target but just the one you hear most due to you yourself being an American. I started to listen to his commentary a bit closer and he offends everyone. But it is T.V. So there in jest and made often. I see no big deal in it. Certainly not taken seriously. Though sometimes he really does have a point!

For decades American auto's are most know for being a lot of things. Good and bad. And not like other cars of the world.

He jabbed at NASCAR. Then actually learned something!
You can look at NASCAR 2 ways. The way you know, a lot of tech and hard work to science out these cars. Or for face value. A bunch of idiots running around in a circle.

If your not from this country or into NASCAR, you might really insult the hell out of a lot of people with what would be seen as a arrogant comment insuring the listener you know nothing about what you speak of.

How many Brit's out there into NASCAR?
How many NASCAR tracks in Europe?
How are they viewing us with what knowledge behind them?
Enter the idiot that says, "NASCAR, oh yes, those idiot no talented red necks that pretend racing in a circle is racing."

I believe the arrogant tone is mostly accent taken wrongly and a purposeful application of arrogance as if they know what there talking about. Each of the three hosts have take. Shots at everyone. Though the other two have mellower tones.

Guy is a *&^%$

I beileve all three are... And on purpose. As for a real life sit down, I doubt any of them are to be disliked as a person. There T.V. Host persona' ... Perhaps not.

The one where they were to rescued there co-host?
They loved there American trucks! They almost could not stop gushing about them.

So he took it too far. Just because he's a TV personality doesn't give him the right to abuse someone physically. Maybe if he gets charged with a crime, he'll wake up from his dream life and face reality.
I watch the show sometimes. Have to be in the mood to want to watch the humor. Most of the arrogance to me is just their being British. Having been in the country, not all are that way, so not trying to label them all, for one overly arrogant buffoon.

Too bad his ego appears to have gotten in the way of a very popular show there and abroad.

Too Bad. He was the most entertaining one on the show. But, If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

I doubt they will be able to find some one as colorful to replace him, and if they don't, it'll probably cause the show to be canceled.

...and the American version of the show is poor, at best.

Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and jerry seinfield. That's what American top gear would need to be a SUPER HIT.

...and the American version of the show is poor, at best.
Yea! No doubt. It's like watching 3 gay limp noodles fight like sissy girls.
Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and jerry seinfield. That's what American top gear would need to be a SUPER HIT.

Jerry is a car guy? LMAO! Who would be the replacement for Jerry?
Tim & Jay are perfect fits! Who's next?!?!

-
Back