Its officially Winter. Another small block build begins

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This one will go slowly as I will be sending the 360 block out hopefully next week to get magnifluxed and bored .030 over. I will then bring it home to stroke clearance it, tube the oil galley, and dummy it together to see if and how much I can cut off the deck surface. This one with have some compression lol. I may also dummy in a roller cam to get an idea how big a roller cam I can go with. My best set off Edelbrocks I ever ported are on my Sons engine and they max out at 318 CFM. The set going on this engine will be the set i pushed the pushrod way over and bought .350 offset Harlan Sharp rockers that they made for me. I rairly get a chance to run the full 1/4 mile as my class runs 1/8 mile but I will see if I can get a 9.50 out of it. This should be a fun build. The K1 crank will be a chevy rod journal 4 inch, K1 6.125 H beem rods, and Wiseco Pistons.

44940514015_a13cb969ff_k.jpg
Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

44940514215_9a675df07f_k.jpg

45804236812_da22acd9e4_k.jpg

44036699280_c741b5402b_k.jpg

44036699260_48d793b498_k.jpg

Looks like we have an identicalplan
Iwe got a set of those pistons aswell and a set och eagle h beam and eagle rod. Going for w5 heads and a unused R block.
My w5 vs my indy x rhs that flows 300cfm.
Going to follow your build.

IMAG0871.jpg

Expected, or hoped for power level?

I never quote horsepower numbers as I never dyno my stuff but my last Edelbrock headed 408 went 6.14 and 9.70’s with a worn out bore at 2840 pounds. This one will have more compression, more cam, fresh bore, and possibly a bigger carb. I had an 850 on the last one. Heads should be a touch better so I hope to see 9.50’s possibly better if I try a radial tire.

Sounds like you will meet your goal, John. Especially if you go with the radials. I went from 8.77 with 33x14.50x15 MT radials to about 8.88 with 15x33x15 bias that weighed 6 lb more per tire. 3055 lb car at the time, mph was up 3. You might even scratch out a 9.40 something. You might want to have the bias slicks available if you race at a track where track prep is off a bit. I saw a change from 1.28 to 1.34 in 60 ft. From good to mediocre prep once.

Last edited:
What kind of cam would you use? Roller or flat tappet?

This one will get a roller cam for sure. The 422 Indy headed engine in the car has a solid lifter cam and had been 9.40’s. (5.98). I will be freshening that engine too this winter and if the cam still looks good will be going back in. It’s a 650 lift with EDM lifters. Three years on it so far with zero issues.

The Chevy rod journal is usually with the longer rods for clearance. Was just curious why that journal size? More bearing choices? Gas port pistons?

This one will get a roller cam for sure. The 422 Indy headed engine in the car has a solid lifter cam and had been 9.40’s. (5.98). I will be freshening that engine too this winter and if the cam still looks good will be going back in. It’s a 650 lift with EDM lifters. Three years on it so far with zero issues.
How do you prepp a sb for roller? Do yoy tube it or do you use bushings in the lifter valley?
I havent decided yet about my cam.

The Chevy rod journal is usually with the longer rods for clearance. Was just curious why that journal size? More bearing choices? Gas port pistons?

Chevy sized rods require less block clearancing, lighter, and better and more rod choices and usually cheaper. The pistons I bought years ago at to good of a price to turn down. I have a new set of Diamond flat tops here but since I run alcohol I want to add some compression

How do you prepp a sb for roller? Do yoy tube it or do you use bushings in the lifter valley?
I havent decided yet about my cam.

I will no longer build a LA style small block without tubing a block after going through the low pressure issues I did on my sons 360. I couldn’t believe the oiling that was escaping around the lifter bores. It cost approximately 600.00 to bush the lifter bores plus you have to find a qualified shop to do it. If I tube it myself I only end up with around 1100.00 to balance an assembly and prep a block.

I will no longer build a LA style small block without tubing a block after going through the low pressure issues I did on my sons 360. I couldn’t believe the oiling that was escaping around the lifter bores. It cost approximately 600.00 to bush the lifter bores plus you have to find a qualified shop to do it. If I tube it myself I only end up with around 1100.00 to balance an assembly and prep a block.
Wirh this type of lifter would you even have to tube a block?

Screenshot_20181113-220626.jpg

Wirh this type of lifter would you even have to tube a block?

View attachment 1715248608

I tried a new set of Bam lifters I have here and two other sets of lifters I have and the results were the same. Since the engine was together I blocked the oil to the one side to get by. Never again. Every block will get tubed as I have zero plans to build and hydraulic cam engines

How much power would a stock 360 block take? Do you going to reinforce it?
I hope to that my block will take some power.
Maybe going for roller cam, how much hp do you think you will gain extra from mec flat tappet vs mec full roller?

IMG_20180606_170059.jpg

How much power would a stock 360 block take? Do you going to reinforce it?
I hope to that my block will take some power.
Maybe going for roller cam, how much hp do you think you will gain extra from mec flat tappet vs mec full roller?

View attachment 1715248614

I beat on my last 360 block for three rebuilds and in need of its fourth. I pulled it and my Son ended up needing it. I knew better but hey its my kid so he ended up running 10.08 in his 3200 pound car and he feel in love with it till it grabbed a bearing and broke a rod. Those parts were bought by a guy across the ocean. As far as the block I'm not a believer in girdles and concrete so the only thing I did to the block was main studs.

I tried a new set of Bam lifters I have here and two other sets of lifters I have and the results were the same. Since the engine was together I blocked the oil to the one side to get by. Never again. Every block will get tubed as I have zero plans to build and hydraulic cam engines

I'm not lifting the valve over .600 but I've never had the issue of psi bleed off. The only non roller sb LA motors I've done were 3 1970/71 340's and 2 '77--'78 . On those they dont counter sink the lifter bore... mostly.

Last edited:
I never quote horsepower numbers as I never dyno my stuff but my last Edelbrock headed 408 went 6.14 and 9.70’s with a worn out bore at 2840 pounds. This one will have more compression, more cam, fresh bore, and possibly a bigger carb. I had an 850 on the last one. Heads should be a touch better so I hope to see 9.50’s possibly better if I try a radial tire.
What kind of compression are you hoping for.
With a 67 cc w2 and a 4.00 crank stock 340 bore and a Ross .100 flat top dome I get 12.7:1 which I am told is just enough for alcohol.

Give some thought to the bushed direct oil feed lifters from Isky or comp cams. I learned that not all roller lifters are created equal.
The comp cams sportman lifter link bars are made of better material
and the axles are staked instead of retained with "C" clips that can fail. These style of lifters are aimed at big lift high spring pressure builds but require certain oil mods to the block.
You can run them with tubing both sides and add small .030 feed holes to get pressurized oil to the axles.
I went bushed with .030 feed holes to try to strike a balance between excess lifter leakage and lifter reliability. My build is clearing a cam with .705 lift at the valve and 12.7:1 with piston to valve .125 and .135. Gotta love the 4.0 inch crank to get numbers like that lol.
Just something for you to think about. But you sure know how to get a small block to run, so I ain't teaching you anything lol.

What kind of compression are you hoping for.
With a 67 cc w2 and a 4.00 crank stock 340 bore and a Ross .100 flat top dome I get 12.7:1 which I am told is just enough for alcohol.

No idea yet but my last 408 that ran low 9.70’s was around 10.5 with flat top pistons and open chamber 340 style Edelbrock heads. I do a fair amount of chamber work on the heads and the decks were never trued up on that one. I’m betting over 13.2 or more easily on this one.

No idea yet but my last 408 that ran low 9.70’s was around 10.5 with flat top pistons and open chamber 340 style Edelbrock heads. I do a fair amount of chamber work on the heads and the decks were never trued up on that one. I’m betting over 13.2 or more easily on this one.
I will be following your new build for sure.

Just an FYI, Ryan at Shady dell speed shop can bush lifter bores in a 59 degree small block.

I will be following your new build for sure.

It will get kind of confusing at times as I have to finish my 572 for my heads up car first. Then my 422 comes out as its had 3 years on it and I will be over seeing my Son 360 freshen to see what the noise was that he heard at norwalk. Throw in two sets of Edelbrock heads I have to port and 2 powerglide transmissions. If my Son shows some interest I have a 505 mega block and assembly ready to clean and throw together. I gotta get my lazy butt in the gym starting next week to get in better shape for the 2019 race season.

Just an FYI, Ryan at Shady dell speed shop can bush lifter bores in a 59 degree small block.

I honestly can't afford to pay that much to have this done. I can tube and modify a blocks oiling system for less than ten dollars and it works great for me. I'm lucky to have a good machine shop 12 miles from me and it rarely takes them more than 7-10 days to clean, magniflux, bore the block, and balance my assembly.

-
Back