I've had it with this torque converter bull ****

-

americanmuscle

americanmuscle
Reaction score
I've had it! I picked up 3 transmissions this weekend, all good, except one has a broken torque converter. all are 318-904 trans with the same spline pattern, but I'm having a bugger getting the front of the converter to seat inside the end of the crank. what to do. it only doesn't clear by like 1/32". the side wall of the torque converter is just a hair too big. do I need to find another converter? what are my options. how does this stuff work?

What year is the engine? I think there was a change in crank pilot size in the mid 60's 273-318.

that makes sense, it's a crank out of a '65, does that mean I need a converter out of a '65? and do all '65 torque converters have the same spline pattern on the transmission input shaft?

Why not just measure the nose of the origanal torque and the one you intend to install and if one is bigger,bring it to the tranny shop or machine shop and cut it down to the size you need,mrmopartech

I can do that?????? I thought I couldn't do that because there is important stuff in the front, I don't have an original, but I can find tolarences from my slant six

You need a small spacer, it's described in different literature, like Tom Condran's book called "Mad about Mopars". He calls it an adapter ring. To match any pre '68 LA engine to a later year tranny you need this. It's a simple sleeve with outside diameter of 1.81" and inside diameter of 1.55", half an inch thick. They used to be available direct from Chrysler, but not anymore.

Apparerently Wildcat Wrecking has them available. 503-668-7786 www.wildcatmopars.com

Or you could get any machine shop to make you one.

"In 1968 input shafts were elarged from 3/4" to 7/8" and spline count was changed from 18 to 24. Torque converters were re-splined to match. Pilot hubs on converter noses grew from 1.55" diameter used since 1960 to 1.88" used in 727's. Pilot flanges on crankshaft flanges of slant 6's and 273 and 318 LA cranks were enlarged to 1.88" to accept the larger pilot hub."

I can understand if i need a spacer for the early torque converter like my slant six, but I'm dealing with .003" I need to grind off. no adapter would work in that situation, but can I do what mrmopartech suggested? or I know I guy with a '67 conveter, will that work?

up until 67 that crank pilot came in diffrent sizes, you need to measure the converter nose

americanmuscle said:
I can understand if i need a spacer for the early torque converter like my slant six, but I'm dealing with .003" I need to grind off. no adapter would work in that situation, but can I do what mrmopartech suggested? or I know I guy with a '67 conveter, will that work?

If it really is .003" and not .030", then you can simply use a hone (pictured below) attached to a drill to enlarge the crank pocket where the converter rides. I've done this MANY times when a converter won't go in, or fit's a little tight in the crank pocket.

21330.JPG

Often times in order to use a HEMI fuel or alcohol crank, in our 440's and 426 HEMI's with a torque converter--the back of the crankshaft pocket is machined the proper amount.

In my opinion, you don't ever want to machine ANY part of the torque converter.

HTH's

I'd go with Duster346, obviously I missed the boat. I apologize about that......doh!

-
Back